Does anyone like the stock Kamaka Strings?

Astein2006

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why Kamaka puts the strings they do on all their ukuleles. It seems that almost everyone replaces them as soon as they receive their Uke. Is it a contractual obligation thing with D'Addario? Is it a sound thing that they prefer? They are THE highly regarded Uke maker in Hawaii. I'm sure they know by now that most change out their stock strings. I am getting a soprano soon and I am debating leaving the stock strings on if anyone can give me good reason.

As you may recall, I've weighed in on this one in another thread - I don't care for them at all. My reasons are a combination of the way they feel (weird plasticky feeling that I find "sticky" - off topic but I get the same feeling from Oasis fluoros which are an entirely different material) and the way they sound (to my ear, they lack clarity and sustain, and as an instrumental-only and mostly classical player this is important to me).

I know there are a few fans on this forum though - looking forward to hearing what they have to say. The few people I've known in real life who liked the stock strings were mostly Hawaiian strummers, so I'd guess the strings are particularly well-suited to that purpose.

I like the way the stock Kamaka strings sound on my Kamaka tenor. But, I am a strummer from Hawaii. And since this stuff all started in Hawaii maybe it's fitting that they sound the way they do. (ymmv)

Shaka ;)

I like the way the stock Kamaka strings sound on my Kamaka tenor. But, I am a strummer from Hawaii. And since this stuff all started in Hawaii maybe it's fitting that they sound the way they do. (ymmv)

Shaka ;)
I've always been a rhythm guitarist so I'm a strummer by nature. I plan on learning some finger picking but I'll mainly be strumming so maybe I should stick with the stock strings for that reason.

If it were me, I would plan on leaving the stock on it for a few weeks to see what you think of them. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to strings. Additionally, strings sound differently on each instrument. So you can't make an informed decision until you have tried these particular strings on this particular instrument. The luthier of my last custom put Kamaka strings on it because he thought they sounded the best. A couple weeks later I still didn't love them so I tried some Southcoast strings and like it better. To each their own. Enjoy your new Kamaka!

Not surprising that Kamaka "stock" strings would be those that are popular with many Hawaiians.

Kinda makes me want to try some stock strings on my Kamaka!

I bought both the Kamakas that I've owned second hand so never had one arrive with the stock strings. But now that my new-to-me pineapple is buzzing with M600's and I do love the Hawaiian 'sound', I think I may just give the stock strings a try.

Remember each instrument is different also.
I went through a bunch of tenors and the stock strings all sounded well, different and not so good. The tenor I eventually got sounded okay enough that I left the strings on for a few weeks.
I'll also say this: taking the stock strings off started a never ending quest for a sound I'm not so sure is there. I'm currently somewhere around my eighth or ninth set of strings and am slowly working my way back to D'addarios and I may even try the stock string set again!

I wouldn't be afraid to invest a hunski or so in strings to see which set sounded the best. Again compare the cost of strings to the cost of your instrument.
Changing strings is fun! Sort of.

I have a Kamaka Tenor and kept the stock strings until they needed changing. I didn't dislike them but opted to go with Freemont Black Line when it was time to change them.

Kinda makes me want to try some stock strings on my Kamaka!

I bought both the Kamakas that I've owned second hand so never had one arrive with the stock strings. But now that my new-to-me pineapple is buzzing with M600's and I do love the Hawaiian 'sound', I think I may just give the stock strings a try.
I was told by Kamaka that their nut and saddles are designed with their string set. They have gotten a lot of complaints with people complaining of buzzing after they changed out the stock strings. I personally like warm round tones and plan on keeping the stock strings for awhile unless I'm disgusted by them. But If it's the Hawaiian sound I want then this set is tailor made from what Kamaka told me.

I was told by Kamaka that their nut and saddles are designed with their string set. They have gotten a lot of complaints with people complaining of buzzing after they changed out the stock strings. I personally like warm round tones and plan on keeping the stock strings for awhile unless I'm disgusted by them. But If it's the Hawaiian sound I want then this set is tailor made from what Kamaka told me.

I think you're right about that. It took 6 years to develop an issue, but after my most recent string change, I noticed the C string on my Kamaka concert started buzzing at the nut and first couple of frets. It took my luthier no more than five minutes to fill the slot with cyanoacrylate and re-cut the slot - and now, no buzz! Equally importantly, no ill effects - intonation remains great and playability is unchanged, so it was really no big deal.

And it does make sense to give the stock strings a try before changing them out. As others have noted, each uke is different. When I first got my Kamaka pineapple soprano, I liked the sound of them just fine, but hated the feel. I didn't care for the stock string sound on any of the other Kamakas I've owned over the years (including two HF2s, an HF1, an HF-1L, and an Ohta-San) but on that pineapple they weren't bad at all.

I love black nylon strings on my Kamaka soprano. Kamaka strings and GHS strings both sound and feel great to me. I tried out plenty of other string sets (fluorocarbon, Nylgut, etc.) and came back to the mellow sound and stylish coolness of black nylon strings. Perfect for me.

Does it matter what we like? Its your preference that counts. If you prefer the vintage hawaiian sound
Kamaka intended for, at least try them for a few weeks. Some do like them, for the warm tone
However many others prefer a brighter tone, volume, and clarity of the newer strings.
Whenever changing string guages, check you nut grooves if they are too wide of a gap or too snug.

Does it matter what we like? Its your preference that counts. If you prefer the vintage hawaiian sound
Kamaka intended for, at least try them for a few weeks. Some do like them, for the warm tone
However many others prefer a brighter tone, volume, and clarity of the newer strings.
Whenever changing string guages, check you nut grooves if they are too wide of a gap or too snug.
thats true. It only matters what i like but i was just curious because i heard so much about how people hated the stock strings that i wanted to hear from the few that did like them and why. More of a curiosity factor than anything else. you make good points though. thanks

Just played a Kamaka concert in a music store. It was the nicest sounding uke in the store. it was new with the stock strings. just sayin.

Five years ago i bought 5 sets of kamaka strings, i still have 3 new yet...
Way back, hilo and ghs were the other choices you had... :)

Good point Stan. String choices have really grown ( and improved ) over the last 5-10 years.

But the black nylon strings are classics.

I have a Kamaka Tenor and use the Kamaka Strings as well. The strings are "warm sounding" which I like. I tried re-stringing the tenor with Freemont Blacklines and Worth Clears but as mentioned in the above threads the nut slots are wider to accommodate the thicker Kamaka strings. Once the Freemonts and Worth's were tuned up I experienced buzzing at the nut because the strings were much narrower.

As an alternative to Factory Kamaka Strings, I have used D'Addario J-71 Clear Nylon strings which are very similar to Kamaka Strings with no problems. If dead set on using narrower gauged strings the nut will have to be altered or replaced with thinner nut slots.

I have a Kamaka Tenor and use the Kamaka Strings as well. The strings are "warm sounding" which I like. I tried re-stringing the tenor with Freemont Blacklines and Worth Clears but as mentioned in the above threads the nut slots are wider to accommodate the thicker Kamaka strings. Once the Freemonts and Worth's were tuned up I experienced buzzing at the nut because the strings were much narrower.

As an alternative to Factory Kamaka Strings, I have used D'Addario J-71 Clear Nylon strings which are very similar to Kamaka Strings with no problems. If dead set on using narrower gauged strings the nut will have to be altered or replaced with thinner nut slots.

I tried to restring my HF2 with Worth low G. But the A string kept slipping despite how many knots I tie. Im afraid that it is breaking the bridge slot. Are there any tricks to getting these smaller strings in these, or will I just have to suck it up and go back to the stock strings?

I tried to restring my HF2 with Worth low G. But the A string kept slipping despite how many knots I tie. Im afraid that it is breaking the bridge slot. Are there any tricks to getting these smaller strings in these, or will I just have to suck it up and go back to the stock strings?

I use Martin fluorocarbons, which IIRC are even thinner than Worths. I just tie a big ol' messy knot with lots of loops at the end of each string - for me, that works out to 8 loops for the A string, 6 for the E, 1 for the C, and 8 for the high G or 1 for the wound Fremont low. It's not always pretty, but it works. And it beats the heck out of those awful black strings :)

Top Bottom