Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Violinists on here ?

When I was a kid, we had an organ and my mom had two old guitars I can't remember anyone ever picking up. I would occasionally pluck the strings as a child. I took organ lessons and later on played flute in junior high band, but I don't feel like I have any real musical talent like some people seem to exude. But I enjoy it, I like learning new things, and it's a better hobby than say drugs... Lol.

As to the family thing, my dad I'm sure was bipolar and my mom is somewhat simple. My grandmother mostly raised me and the extended family basically shunned us. My relationship with my mom infinitely improved once I moved out though.
    Deb - I feel like Goldilocks. Is this one right? No. Let's try that one. Not quite. What about this one over here?

You didn't make my ears bleed! I'm sure it's a lot better than I could do right now.
    Deb - I feel like Goldilocks. Is this one right? No. Let's try that one. Not quite. What about this one over here?

I realize my earlier comment might have been taken wrong- it was in jest, and you're so much better a player than I can even imagine being right now. I had my first violin lesson today and it went well. Knowing I don't know anything about it, we started with anatomy, some basic music theory, how to tune it, how to rosin the bow, and proper form... which I think if I can get that right the other issues I am having with what she's asked of me will fall into place.

I have two weeks to hopefully learn to play a progression of notes on one string smoothly and at an even tempo and then I'll see her again. I'm really excited though to get started learning.

When I am wearing shoes, I am playing the violin.

When I am not wearing shoes, I am playing the fiddle.
    "Outside of a book, a dog is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read".

Groucho Marx

Lohanu concert uke
    Lohanu tenor uke
    Kala KA-SRMT Tri Special Edition tenor - AWESOME !!
    Kanile'a K2T (because I DESERVE it, that's why)
    Kanile'a Islander MT-4 because there's no cure for UAS

Not a violinist, but my sister is a violin teacher, my mom learned some to help out with my sisters learning and I have a son and daughter that play (I'm the major parental support on that - my wife does the cellist).

That leaves me in the place where I know how to play the violin (that is, I have most of the basic knowledge), but I can't actually play (never developed the physical skills). I thought about taking the time to pick up the skills, but I think I'm going to spend my time learning bass instead.
    Blackbird Clara
    Concert Flea
    Pono MB
    Deering Goodtime Banjo Uke (concert)
    Hadean Uke-Bass
    Deering Goodtime Special (5-string banjo - currently with 4 strings...)

Buckle Up

I play the violin at a reasonable amateur standard, mostly classical. I've been a member of a large amateur symphony orchestra for 30 years and have played a lot of the standard repertoire. This band has regular weekly rehearsals, but I also get roped into more ad hoc groups that have perhaps just a couple of intensive rehearsals before the performance - a bit scary but very good for concentrating the mind! I've also done quite lot with choirs, including both the Bach Passions and the B minor Mass, several Handel oratorios, Haydn's Creation, etc, etc.

I am also in a ceilidh band that performs in care homes and old folks' clubs. At full strength we have three fiddles, two accordions, a mouth organ and piano as well as a singer. It is great fun and very rewarding to see how people, some quite far gone with dementia, respond to the music.

My church is planning to start a weekly drop-in club for the elderly, including a slot for singing old favourites. To begin with I think I will have to bang out the songs on the piano but I hope that my uke playing will improve to the point that I can use that instead - the piano is an old honky-tonk, and I would have my back to folk. Accompanying on the uke would be much friendlier, I think.
    Last edited by ukatee; 12-17-2016 at 02:07 AM.
    Latecomer to uke but loving it! Baton Rouge U108S soprano, Kiwaya KS-5 soprano, Uluru II concert low G, Barnes & Mullins banjolele UBJ2.

I been fiddling since May . Not too bad, if you like tuneless whistling .

is it too late to learn to play violin?

I'm glad I'm not into learning violin. I can't imagine how bad VAS would get.
    All for sale; pm me:

Brand new Loprinzi Honduran mahogany soprano w new hardshell case. $350 -> 325

Quote Originally Posted by 1300cc View Post
    is it too late to learn to play violin?

No,I been teaching myself for just about a year now, best fun on the planet..................

Thread Information