Icing On The Cake: What Are You Grateful For?

Peace Train

Reaction score
The holiday season tends to be a busy, if not chaotic, time for some. It doesn't matter what your background, ethnicity, religious beliefs, or lack thereof, this time of year can be lonely, fulfilling, depressing, or uplifting. It all depends on how you look at things and what you choose to focus on.

Well, I've run myself through the gamut of emotions the past couple months, and life isn't always as easy as that. My focus slipped. Despite all the magnificence that abounds around and within me, I lost sight of things and my focus slipped.

Sure enough however, there was always a glimmer somewhere. Something or someone came along to gradually snap me out of it. No, it wasn't necessarily blatant. And yes, I did have to look.

Just now I was reminded how grateful I am for friends: The virtual online type, and those face-to-face ones that I sometimes forget are here for me. I'm grateful for my health which felt like a complete struggle of late. And I'm grateful for my life here on this beautiful planet. Mostly though, I now understand how grateful I am to be able to feel gratitude at all.

While these are the most treasured things, I'm similarly grateful that mind, body, and spirit are allowing me to play the uke; I'm able to afford a uke and lessons too!

It may be icing on the cake, but all these things play harmoniously together in reminding me of the infinite joy that is here when I stop, breathe, and take a moment for myself to look.

Well, since you asked...I'm grateful for my family and their committed faith--things that matter most. Merry Christmas!

I am grateful for every day I wake up. I am also grateful for my wife the love of my life, and all of my family and friends.

I think the one thing that quickly comes to mind is that my wife and I both play ukulele, and that she is getting more into since I got her the UBass.
Also, I'm really grateful for TBUS (our club) and all the cool friends I've found there.
Not to mention UU. mm stan has really gotten to be a buddy, and so has booli.

Im grateful everyday being here... and to have many nice friends here and abroad...happy holidays and happy strummings

Thanks for this post. It's a crazy month or so. It seems like more things get crammed into the last six weeks of the year vs. the other 46!
I'm thankful for fairly good health (I'm nursing a cold), my lovely wife who puts up with my UAS, a job that I kind of like, family, and friends.

I am 65 years old, and I am grateful that I can still physically and mentally do whatever I want to do. Yes, I don't run as fast as I once did, I can't jump as high, but I can still run and jump, so I'm grateful for that. Since I've retired, I left behind my old life, and I've pursued a new life of art and music. I progress slowly, but I progress, and for that I am grateful as well.

Last edited:
Like Rllink, 65 & retired, learning to play ukulele & harmonica, & grateful to be in good health, I'm not rich but I have enough not to be on the streets.

Thankful for what I have. :)

Top Bottom