Beginner’s Guide, Crash Course and E-Book

wwelti

Reaction score
Here’s my little Christmas present for the uke community:

1.) A huge beginner’s guide about the uke:
http://www.ukulele-arts.com/lernen/leitfaden-fur-einsteiger/

I know, it's German only. However, I'm going to translate it. In the meantime, the Google translation may help a bit:
https://translate.google.com/transl.../leitfaden-fur-einsteiger/&edit-text=&act=url

Yes, the translation is a little bit weird at places... I'll make another announcement when my translation is finished.

2.) A solo crash course:
http://www.ukulele-arts.com/lernen/solo-crashkurs/

Google translation:
https://translate.google.com/transl...com/lernen/solo-crashkurs/&edit-text=&act=url

3.) Now for the most interesting part. The crash course is based on my new free e-book: Erste Übungsstücke für Solo Ukulele:

http://ukulelehunt.com/2015/12/18/solo-ukulele-ebook-by-wilfried-welti/

These pieces are really very easy and very well suited for beginners who want to start with solo playing.

I wish you all a great time playing the uke and a Merry Christmas!

Best Regards
Wilfried

Thank you - what a nice Christmas present.

Great stuff! Nice videos, and the new e-book looks really good also. Danke und Frohe Weihnachten! :)

Thanks, Laura and Steedy. Your feedback is appreciated! :)

Frohes Fest!

Best Regards
Wilfried

Wilfried, thanks so much. I have spent some time with your new material and its really great.

Will

Thank you too, Will.

HOW TO TUNE AN UKULELE: http://www.ukulele-arts.com/learn/tuning-the-ukulele/?lang=en

I'm still working on the translation. It's a lot of text... Right now I finished up the part about tuning. Maybe there's something new for you in there even if you aren't a beginner, since I'm covering how to tune with a tuning fork, how to use the beating, and how to do compensatory tuning.

I'd really be thankful if somebody could check it out and give me a hint if some of my wordings are inaccurate or clumsy. After all it's a highly technical matter and English is only my 2nd language.

Thank you. :)

Best Regards
Wilfried

Last edited:
Many thanks for access to your material - I really enjoy playing your TAB, as does my sister & her partner.

Also thank you for your English Translations - the English button is terrific!

cheers

Roberta

Last edited:
Wilfried, I just wanted to thank you for your free e-book! I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago and I've been working on the tunes every day since. I'm still quite a beginner and have a long way to go to master many of the pieces, but they are great challenges and lots of fun. And I'm even learning many German folksongs! :)

Thanks, Wilfried! You actually convinced me to pick up a tuning fork this week. The dependency on an electronic tuner has bugged me a little, so this is something I'd like to learn how to do by ear instead of by LCD display. :) It probably looks much easier than it is!

Thanks for your feedback! :)

I have to admit that I never used an electronic tuner regularly... but I don't think that tuning by ear is that difficult.

I think the most important trick is, that you first try to get the beating as loud and clearly hearable als possible, even by detuning a bit and adjusting the levels (or adapting your plucking). As soon you can hear the beating clearly, it is easy to use it to get a string perfectly in tune.

... I really have to continue translating these pages...

Best Regards
Wilfried

I read over the sections with the reference sounds and the Schwebungen, and that actually made sense to me. Just grabbing a tuning fork from Thomann this morning. They have a model with square ... things! (Zinken) ..., which according to the comments is a bit louder than the round model. It's only three euros more, so I'll be getting that for the added volume. I'll report back when it arrives.

If you need or want a hand with the translation, let me know, though my music-related English vocabulary (see above!) may require some double-checking.

Thanks, Mivo.

Did you read the English or the German version of this page? I already translated the pages about tuning some weeks ago. The little flags in the upper right on my site can be used to switch between the German and English version, but it works only for pages which already have been translated. (That's true for all pages about tuning.) If a page hasn't been translated, clicking on the Flag for English language will take you to the home page.

Of course I'd be very happy if you could give me some hints for improving my translation.

Best Regards
Wilfried

I just want to point out that I'm in the process of translating the crash course now. The whole thing is now being used for an online crash course in the closed facebook group "classical ukulele". The idea is that this helps me to quickly sort out problems while it is an opportunity for beginners to get the hang of playing solo pieces.

Every wednesday I'm posting a new lesson in this group, this also means that the corresponding material on my web site is translated until then. Right now we're at lesson #1 (with a lesson #0 for preparation last week :) )

Regards
Wilfried

I just want to point out that I'm in the process of translating the crash course now. The whole thing is now being used for an online crash course in the closed facebook group "classical ukulele". The idea is that this helps me to quickly sort out problems while it is an opportunity for beginners to get the hang of playing solo pieces.

Every wednesday I'm posting a new lesson in this group, this also means that the corresponding material on my web site is translated until then. Right now we're at lesson #1 (with a lesson #0 for preparation last week :) )

Regards
Wilfried

Is it too late to join the closed Facebook group? It would be nice to have people to practice with.

Teri

Is it too late to join the closed Facebook group? It would be nice to have people to practice with.

Teri

No, it's not too late. There are lessons 0, 1 and 2 online already, but they are very basic so you probably won't have much trouble catching up. And it's no problem to ask questions in the threads of the old lessons.

Regards
Wilfried

Top Bottom