Ono build in progress

Thanks for posting the pictures, Dave. The slow peep show reveal was just killing me! LOL

I know how hard you work, and how patient you. You are kind and giving in person and on the UU forum.

You deserve this Uke, and now I officially have Ono envy!

:bowdown:

Thank you Dave for always buying interesting and high quality ukes just so your friends can enjoy them for free.
Who's need music shop when I can just come to your house whenever I have UAS attack ?
Your babies are my nieces and nephews.

Oh my oh my oh my. That is going to be stunning.

And couldn't go to a more deserving chap. Even thought we have never met, I strongly echo my appreciation of the way Dave posts and the support he gives everyone.

Have definitely added an Ono to my 'one day' list! Just need to learn how to play now.....

Not insuled... just grumped out.

I am not sure how to respond to the fact my "bit" left ashes in your mouth. At no point was there any gloating, bragging or arogance, prices have not even been mentioned. This has more to do with education, most people here are interested in how ukuleles are built. The fact that you are insulted by this thread is your problem............not mine.

I am not going to apologize for the fact I am 58 years old have worked very hard all my life. I have been saving money during the 18 months I have been on the waiting list so I can pay for this. It is no random impulse purchase. If you can't afford "half of what you need ukewise" that again is your problem........not mine. Please bear that in mind.

I know these holiday seasons can be stressful, especially on the pocket book. I wish you no ill will but please stop trying to spoil my fun, I would never do that to you.

I would appreciate it if nobody else piles on in defense of this thread. It is the season of good will towards your fellow man. This matter has been put to bed.

I'm not insulted by your good fortune... I'm just grumped out staring at the lump of coal in my my stocking this Christmas instead of a ukulele. It doesn't sound like bragging but really more like the word I used "glorying." Note, I'm older than you and I worked hard over the years trying to make the crazy egomaniac boss happy until I was too old too work anymore.... I don't begrudge you buying $10,000+ ukes but I'm annoyed when you and others wave it the faces of others... Do you have 3 star meals in front of starving people??? No, of course not. So I ask why make a big deal about your new custom ukes here??? You want to review it fine... It's just making such a big deal about buying one and all the oos and awes that follow which leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

I'm not insulted by your good fortune... I'm just grumped out staring at the lump of coal in my my stocking this Christmas instead of a ukulele. It doesn't sound like bragging but really more like the word I used "glorying." Note, I'm older than you and I worked hard over the years trying to make the crazy egomaniac boss happy until I was too old too work anymore.... I don't begrudge you buying $10,000+ ukes but I'm annoyed when you and others wave it the faces of others... Do you have 3 star meals in front of starving people??? No, of course not. So I ask why make a big deal about your new custom ukes here??? You want to review it fine... It's just making such a big deal about buying one and all the oos and awes that follow which leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

This would be a strange site without people talking about ukuleles. Would you prefer to only talk about playing ukes vs. anything about the various quality instruments? Check out Mandolin Cafe (where I am a very long-time poster) and the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forums or other instrument forums. You will always find people posting their newly acquired instruments or building progress photos. Many participants are interested in these, whether or not they are in the market to buy one.

I am assuming that you do own a ukulele of some sort. Is it that you are not satisfied with yours and can't afford one that you want? Your opinion is valid and I (and probably a few other people here) have sympathy for your plight. OTOH it is very easy for you to avoid the threads you don't want to read (such as this one). Just don't read them!

Otherwise, do tell us what it is that you want us here to do. Stop talking about quality ukuleles? Should we limit discussion only to ukuleles under $100? I doubt that this would happen.

BTW if you are a sculptor, perhaps you have the capabilities of building a uke that would please you?

Last edited:
Just don't rub the fancy Ukes in the faces of those that can't afford them

This would be a strange site without people talking about ukuleles. Would you prefer to only talk about playing ukes vs. anything about the various quality instruments? Check out Mandolin Cafe (where I am a very long-time poster) and the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forums or other instrument forums. You will always find people posting their newly acquired instruments or building progress photos. Many participants are interested in these, whether or not they are in the market to buy one.

I am assuming that you do own a ukulele of some sort. Is it that you are not satisfied with yours and can't afford one that you want? Your opinion is valid and I (and probably a few other people here) have sympathy for your plight. OTOH it is very easy for you to avoid the threads you don't want to read (such as this one). Just don't read them!

Otherwise, do tell us what it is that you want us here to do. Stop talking about quality ukuleles? Should we limit discussion only to ukuleles under $100? I doubt that this would happen.

BTW if you are a sculptor, perhaps you have the capabilities of building a uke that would please you?

Hey, people can talk about whatever and all I ask is a little sensitivity when yakking about buying the expensive ones... Dave, can tell us about his new Ono when it gets in and share his glowing review or his deep disappointment should it be a flop... People can ask away about the (Onos) and Dave can gush about it to his hearts contentment...

FYI, my uke is fine (it's the cheapest one I could find that was decent.) My need is for a uke of a different stringing... it not being practical to change strings between tunes... :)

Note, I was (it was too hard to make a living at and too expensive to be a hobby) a figurative bronze sculptor and don't think a bronze ukulele would be possible and it would be much much cheaper to buy a decent foreign made ukulele even if it was possible. It's kind of screwed up how people people drive cars costing $50,000 or $100,000 which get tossed away in a relatively small number of years yet they'd never even dream of spending 1/10th of that on a piece of art which would last a lifetime...

Can we please keep this thread on topic? It's not hard I swear.

David, thanks for updating the blog post. I was very curious on the philosophy behind the solid linings, it makes sense when combined with some of your other design choices such as a cantilevered fretboard.

Also, I don't see in any shape or form Dave being offensive or shoving his money in people's faces. He is sharing the build and the process and he is excited and having fun and he has every right to share with anyone here that wants to enjoy in the process with him. For those that don't, there are plenty of other threads to read.

The majority of folks here have no problems with Dave's sensitivity. I did not see anything he said that would be categorized as boasting, bragging, showing off or whatever it is that annoys you. I think you are reading all the posts thru your own ash-colored glasses. Enjoy the uke you have and the music you can make on it, change the strings if you need to and stop reading this or other threads that displease you. There are many of us here interested in build progress, how these instruments we love are constructed and the quality of workmanship that is capable of some excellent luthiers.

I find the fingerboard design fascinating, as well as the solid linings. As David says, I imagine it is all about lots of small improvements.

That is gong to be a fine instrument, well worthy of some oooohing and aaaaahing. :rolleyes:

Hey sculptor. It's simple brus. Just **** off.
Jon, Jon. That was uncalled for too, mate. :2cents:

@sculptor - if you want to discuss your uke for a different stringing, please start your own thread. I'm sure you'll find lots of folks to discuss that with you, and we will rejoice with you when you find one that meets your need in your price range.

I hate that I'm about to feed the off-the-thread topic of posting about builds, but I feel the need to speak on it and didn't want to start another thread. My apologies to Dave the builder, Dave the recipient, and everyone else.

I can empathize with sculptor. I've gone through a good part of my life seeing other people acquire things I couldn't even come close to affording and, sometimes, resenting them for it. There's an old Russian proverb: "Never complain about the size of your apartment to a homeless person." (Actually, it's probably not Russian, and I think I may have made it up myself, but people seem to take notice of it more when I introduce it as being an old Russian proverb than when I don't.) It would bother me if recipient Dave was complaining about his custom ukulele (the size of his apartment in the proverb) to people who can't afford one (homeless people in the proverb), but he's not. He's sharing an experience, the way someone might talk about what a great time he had in Europe, even if some of his listeners couldn't afford to travel to Europe. And there's an informative aspect to this thread, too, for people who are curious about how ukuleles are built and how different builders make the build decisions they make.

I admit that I have my share of expensive ukuleles, and as I type this there's an under construction baritone Ono Ukulele in Dave the builder's workshop with my name on it, so I'm not going to pretend that I can't afford an Ono Ukulele. But over the past several years, and without any change in my finances, I've migrated away from resenting people who have more than I do to a different attitude of being grateful for all the things I do have, and that has meant learning not to want the things I don't have or can't afford. During that process I've learned two things: First, for every lump of coal in my stocking, there's someone else with even more lumps of more coal than I have. So I don't complain about anything I have, even if it isn't the most expensive one there is or the one I would have gotten if I had the money (I drive a Honda Civic, for what that's worth) because i understand that despite everything in my life there is to grouse about, there's someone else on the planet who would be extraordinarily happy and grateful to step into my shoes. So I give myself the gift of that same gratitude, and when I do that, the list of things I don't and probably won't ever have becomes insignificant to me. Secondly, I have learned the joy of taking pleasure in the pleasure of others, even if their pleasure comes from owning something I can never have. I saw with my own eyes that stunningly beautiful waterfall inlay Moore Bettah ukulele that Chuck exhibited at the recent Ukulele Guild of Hawaii show in Waikiki. I couldn't afford an ukulele like that in 100 lifetimes, but it was a beautiful uke and I was grateful just to have been able to see it in person. Instead of feeling resentful, or wishing it were mine, I put myself in the head of the person who bought it and imagined the joy he was going to feel when he received it. (I even do this with cars - when I get mad at a driver who does something stupid on the road, I imagine him on the day that he bought his car, and how happy he must have been to have become its new owner, and then it's harder to be mad at him.) I'm not trying to preach to you, sculptor. I completely understand how it must feel to see someone posting photos of an ukulele you know you wouldn't be able to buy. Please try to remember that whenever you say something about your inexpensive ukulele, there's someone out there who couldn't afford your ukulele and might feel about you the way you seem to feel about recipient Dave. I'm just trying to encourage you to see the world a little bit through the eyes of other people - those more fortunate than you as well as those less fortunate than you, and to try to be thankful for the things you CAN call your own.

Jon, I also have to say that I don't think your last post (#56 in this thread) is at all in the spirit of Aloha, Ukulele Underground, or empathy. Just my opinion, of course. But I strongly encourage you to delete it, and I'll delete this reference to it in this post.

Thank you for allowing me to weigh in on the propriety of posting a build thread, and I apologize for contributing to the derailing of the thread.

Last edited:
Hey, people can talk about whatever and all I ask is a little sensitivity when yakking about buying the expensive ones... Dave, can tell us about his new Ono when it gets in and share his glowing review or his deep disappointment should it be a flop... People can ask away about the (Onos) and Dave can gush about it to his hearts contentment...

FYI, my uke is fine (it's the cheapest one I could find that was decent.) My need is for a uke of a different stringing... it not being practical to change strings between tunes... :)

Note, I was (it was too hard to make a living at and too expensive to be a hobby) a figurative bronze sculptor and don't think a bronze ukulele would be possible and it would be much much cheaper to buy a decent foreign made ukulele even if it was possible. It's kind of screwed up how people people drive cars costing $50,000 or $100,000 which get tossed away in a relatively small number of years yet they'd never even dream of spending 1/10th of that on a piece of art which would last a lifetime...

Hardly yakking about the expensive Ukes. This Uke is not expensive. I think it is quite affordable.

Dave is simply enthusiastic about a Uke he has been waiting for a long time. I think David has done an excellent job on it and I for one enjoy the banter among fellow UUers.

Sculptor, find another thread to read and leave this one for the oohing and aaahing.

Restring???

Jon, Jon. That was uncalled for too, mate. :2cents:

@sculptor - if you want to discuss your uke for a different stringing, please start your own thread. I'm sure you'll find lots of folks to discuss that with you, and we will rejoice with you when you find one that meets your need in your price range.

I've got a low-g but I'd also love to play a high-g strung ukulele. However, that doesn't mean I want to give up on low-g. In fact my uke probably best suits low-g. If there is a magic wand that I can wave over my uke to restring it in mere seconds now is the time to speak up! :)

Ditto, what you said about Jon!

It's kind of screwed up how people people drive cars costing $50,000 or $100,000 which get tossed away in a relatively small number of years yet they'd never even dream of spending 1/10th of that on a piece of art which would last a lifetime...

Given what you say here, I find your attitude very strange. This ukulele is like a piece of art, and this thread is not about Dave crowing over an expensive purchase, it's an opportunity for people to enjoy the work of an artist, and appreciate the process involved - at least it was before it was completely derailed. It is the very antithesis of the mass-produced cars you mention in your post.

Thank goodness for people like Dave, they are the reason artists (and artisans) can continue to make beautiful things.

Closing for review. Please check back in a few minutes. Thanks.

Sculptor, this is, arguably, both the right time and the wrong place for your comments. At this time of year the contrasts in people's lives are highlighted in many ways. Inequality, like many things, is a spectrum, not a binary or boolean thing. Even waving a Makala Dolphin could be deemed insensitive if one did it in front of a homeless, starving person or a person who may have lost the use of their hands. But I take your points, and I feel your pain.

That said, you won't really really contribute to the struggle for social justice and equality by peeing on one guy's bonfire. Dave's new uke isn't the cause of your problems, nor those of anyone else who may be having a hard time. I neither know nor want to know Dave's financial status but (from what I've read over the years) most of our members are not millionaires.

I see this thread as being about one guy's excitement over the construction and eventual arrival of a handcrafted musical instrument. I see no bragging or gloating, just excitement and enthusiasm. This is not the place for your objection, Sculptor. For the root cause you need to look to your political process of choice, for objection to ostentation and the flaunting of wealth you need to look to a place where that's what's actually happening.

A different aspect of this thread is the insulting, confrontational tone adopted by some participants. Please familiarise yourselves with the rules. If something affects you so deeply that you feel moved to become abusive then you should report the offending item to your mods. You are not to take it upon yourselves to judge and insult your fellow members. The forum golden rule is "don't be a jerk". What constitutes being a jerk is decided ad hoc by your mod team.

This is supposedly a season of goodwill. If anyone makes me ban them during the holiday I will be annoyed. As a wise man once said, be excellent to each other... And party on, dudes.

Please keep this thread on topic now and let the other stuff lie. (I included the "please" bit out of courtesy. That was actually an instruction, not a request.)

Many thanks for your anticipated cooperation, and a very happy holiday to all.

Dave, I hope your new uke is everything you want it to be.

Dave, your soon to be new uke looks magnificent!

David, I think that you build some of, if not the classiest ukes on the planet. And I for one, love to see progress pics of them.

Boy this place has changed.

Merry Christmas everyone and peace in the New Year.

These are the last of the pictures at the moment.

First picture shows top with the completed rosette. It is sitting loosely on the body with a random fretboard laid on top for effect. I had seen a very early ukulele David had made with a similar rosette, notice how it goes right to the edge of the sound hole. There is a story behind that, not gonna tell ya. I liked, we did it.

Second picture is of the completed body without bindings yet. We were going to go curly koa but had some issues. David sent me this picture of curly myrtle strips on top of a blank of curly maple that is light brown in color. I chose the curly maple as it was very close to koa.

Third picture is of the completed body with the curly maple binding installed.

Last picture was a suprise. Our color scheme was brown and tan or golden hues. Asked Dave to find a fretboard with some streaking in it. HOLY MOTHER OF MARY he found some macassar ebony and just went ahead and made it up, then showed me the picture. If I can give a word of advice to anyone having a custom build done, let the luthier have his way. Ask him "what do you think", " how do you feel about that". His artistic sense will lead you to something special and different. Sorry I almost forgot to point out the rough shaped neck and the carbon fiber rod placed in it to stiffen and stabilize it. Lost my mind on the fretboard.

View attachment 86734View attachment 86735View attachment 86736View attachment 86737

Nice. You're gonna have a one of a kind. That's really cool.

Top Bottom