Melodica questions

linear

Reaction score
I'm thinking about saving up for a melodica for my birthday this year. What do I need to know to avoid cheaper ones? I'm willing to spend a bit more than the $100 I see online if that'll get me a better instrument.

What can people tell me about melodicas? Are there particular models people like? What are the advantages between alto/tenor (or is it just a pitch difference)? How can I tell how easily they'll open up to tune them? Will all of them work with a foot pump, or do I need to find a model specifically made for one?

Thanks!

i have a hoehner instructor 32 and a schoenhut 37. both are just fine.

this video seems interesting:

i have a hoehner instructor 32 and a schoenhut 37. both are just fine.

this video seems interesting:

Based in part on this video, I purchased a Yamaha P37D. Now I need to figure out how to tune the thing; it sounds great but it's tuned a bit sharp.

I grabbed a melodica recently from my local music store. Been wanting one for a good while now.

It was around the $40 AUD mark, I think it sounds fine. I clipped on my tuner and it's a little bit out of tune on all the keys, but it's consistent and I think it's not a problem.
Can't say how long it's going to last, but if it does give out it's not expensive to replace, and I might step it up to a better quality instrument.

I would also like to recommend the EZ Play Today music books. The way the music is set out is perfect for the limited keyboard size. One handed, simple music. I've been getting the e-books off amazon.

I can tell you all about melodicas (keyboard harmonicas)! The best source of information is Melodicaworld.com, as already mentioned.

It's not necessary to spend more than about $100 for a current model melodica. The Yamaha Pianicas (P-25F, P-32D, P-37D) and Suzuki Melodions (metal tray models, the most popular being the M-32C and M-37C) are about as good as it gets. I have a large collection of vintage melodicas as well as a variety of current models. Among current models, the high end model of choice would be the Hammond 44 (44 keys, about $500, acoustic and electric models). But, again, for sound and quality of construction the Yamaha and Suzuki models I've mentioned are excellent. Size is another consideration. I prefer the 32 and 25 (25-27) key options. But the Yamaha Pianica 37C is an excellent choice and has a nice mellow acoustic sound.

I'll start a separate melodica thread, which I was already planning to do. In my opinion, melodica and ukulele are a match made in heaven.

DAMMIT :)

Why did you do this to me? LOL

Now I have to get a Melodica!!!!!!

NO!!!!!!!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

i keep a hohner32 in my car along with a rubin sopranino and a couple of plastic ocarinas, an stl zelda plastic double AC and a MO G polycarbonate.

i keep a hohner32 in my car along with a rubin sopranino and a couple of plastic ocarinas, an stl zelda plastic double AC and a MO G polycarbonate.

very cool!

sounds like yer ready to start a small folk band once you get enough players

I wonder if all that would fit in a lunchbox or small tackle-box?

The best (by far) current compact melodica is the Yamaha P-25, which is now available at Amazon (U.S.) for $59.99. Build quality and out-of-the-box tuning on all Yamaha Pianicas are the same -- very good; and in my opinion they have a mellower, more acoustic sound than other current melodicas, a good match for ukulele. The current model is the P-25F. Its predecessor, the 25E has a more compact case, and it's the one I'm playing lately. The E was made in Japan, while the current models are made in Indonesia -- but I've worked on both Es and Fs, tuned and gapped them, etc., and don't see or hear any differences. There are earlier vintage models and vintage Suzukis.

There's also a whole lot of information about vintage melodicas and melodicas in general at melodicaworld.com, and quite a few photos of vintage models are posted there and at The Melodica Annex.

The best (by far) current compact melodica is the Yamaha P-25, which is now available at Amazon (U.S.) for $59.99. Build quality and out-of-the-box tuning on all Yamaha Pianicas are the same -- very good; and in my opinion they have a mellower, more acoustic sound than other current melodicas, a good match for ukulele. The current model is the P-25F. Its predecessor, the 25E has a more compact case, and it's the one I'm playing lately. The E was made in Japan, while the current models are made in Indonesia -- but I've worked on both Es and Fs, tuned and gapped them, etc., and don't see or hear any differences. There are earlier vintage models and vintage Suzukis.

There's also a whole lot of information about vintage melodicas and melodicas in general at melodicaworld.com, and quite a few photos of vintage models are posted there and at The Melodica Annex.

I've just spent the past 2 hrs on melodicaworld.com, YouTube and Amazon doing research!!!!

I dont really like the sound of the concertina (squeezebox) nor the accordion, but it seems there are some, as you say that sound like a harmonica, and I much prefer that sound, and could never get the hang of a harmonica, but the harmonica sound with actual keys would be great (piano lessons as a child, all the info has stayed with me over the MANY yrs since then).

3 octaves would be nice so it can match and compliment the uke, but not sure if I would have the lung capacity (recent ex smoker here) and not really sure if I want to invest since I have all kinds and sizes of synthesizers here going back to 1985, SO, Ideally I want to get a cheap one to start and see if I have the breath, otherwise to get a better one at the start and NOT be able to blow it, the idea of resale is just gross to me, I'd just throw it out, or find some way to rig an air pump to it like a reed organ...

There are differences in how much air is required. The Yamahas have a relatively small air chamber, and, all else being equal, the fewer the keys the less air is required. A Yamaha P-25 takes less air than a Yamaha P-32, which in turn takes less than a P-37. There are some tunes that are tougher to play with only two octaves, but I have found that operating within that limitation encourages octave jumping and improvisation, which is a good thing. It's best to avoid having to look at the keyboard. In conjunction with that, it's easier to have a feel for the whole of the keyboard on a 25 key melodica. Also, you'll find it commonly said at Melodica World that the melodica should be thought of as a wind instrument rather than as a keyboard instrument. Finally, if you look at wind instrument sites -- clarinet for example, you'll find advice for how to optimize lung capacity and breathing (for instance in terms of posture).

Top Bottom