Buying in Maui

Interestingly, my second choice was the Koa top from Mele, and my third choice was the Koaloha KCO-10, solid sapele. It sounded fantastic. I just tried it on a whim, but IMO it sounded better than the Ponos.

Aloha Robin,
Looks like you got yourself a nice Mele there, excellent choice!

Congratulations! I love the Mele store. When I was there in 2012, I was looking for an 8-string baritone. They had one, but it was on hold for someone. They found me an 8-string longneck tenor and restrung it DGBE just to see if I'd like it. It's a lovely instrument and the people who worked there were wonderful!

That's a really nice looking Mele! Glad you got to try it out and picked one you like the sound of. So few of us on UU get that chance.

BEAUTIFUL. Congratulations! I considered a Mele before I bought my Pono. So happy for you!

So, I tried to work something out with Emil Bader, but the timing didn't quite work out. I'm in Maui now, and I tried a few ukuleles. I have to say that I liked the sounds of the Mele ukuleles the best, so I picked up a Mele mango concert that was slightly reduced. I definitely preferred the sound of it over equivalently priced Ponos. I still might buy something from Emil Bader in the future, but given that I had such a strong preference between the ukuleles I tried, I thought it was best to get something that I know sounds good. I'll post pictures soon.

Top Bottom