8th Annual Ukulele World Congress- June 3-4th 2016

Boyfriend and I bring ear plugs. We really love camping and cooking on the field, and they make a good night's sleep possible for us light sleepers.

That, and he can't hear me snore.

I did earplugs and it didn't work. Why not just start a couple hours earlier and run till midnight? The stage is pretty empty during the day and early evening anyway.

I DO need to talk with my wife about what we can make or cook for folks. Chicago hot dog line?

I did earplugs and it didn't work. Why not just start a couple hours earlier and run till midnight? The stage is pretty empty during the day and early evening anyway.

I DO need to talk with my wife about what we can make or cook for folks. Chicago hot dog line?

Because you have to stand in the hot sun while you are playing, no fun at all and you'll be playing to an empty field because no one wants to bake in the sun. I have been doing this for years, it's not chance that it runs so smoothly.
No one else but you complains about the noise (not even the neighbors).

Last edited:
Because you have to stand in the hot sun while you are playing, no fun at all. I have been doing this for years, it's not chance that it runs so smoothly.
No one else complains about the noise (not even the neighbors).

This!

Oh man, playing in the sun sucks! And plus... like Mike said... "it works", so why change it!

So here is my personal pet peeve. And this is not to offend anyone. I am just saying this from personal experience because as UWC grows it is getting increasingly common for people to gripe:

I find it funny/interesting/perplexing that a event that is on its 8th year and has been successful and well-run every year always has a few people who want to change it to suit their own personal likes/preferences/opinions.
Especially since it is not their event. And especially when they rave about how they would not miss it and had so much fun the year before.
(This is not against anyone personally, not even posters on here, it is just a general musing, so if you think I am addressing you, I am not. It is general Mim thoughts.)

The amazing thing too is it is usually coming from people who have only been there one or two years max. Suddenly they have all these ideas of how they think UWC should be run. An event that has been going strong for 8 years and is not funded or planned by them. And usually the gripe is because of something that does not suit them personally or a small group of people. Not taking into account that most people don't have the same complaint, or if they do, they make other plans to accommodate for whatever does not suit them because they realize it is just personal preference. Then the gripe becomes a big deal that ends up getting blown out of proportion and "fixes" start being kicked around by other newbies before poor Main Mike is put in the awkward position of saying, "Ummm... hey guys... we cant/wont/shouldnt do that". And I hate it when he gets put in that position because he is the nicest, most easy-going guy, ever! But everyone has a button that when pushed enough has to be addressed. And, well, frankly... it is his party! Don't make it un-fun for him but trying to make it your party. If you want to make the rules... plan your own party. But good luck making it better than UWC! Because UWC is like no other because it is what it is and don't think it can ever be replicated. So if you are coming to UWC, come to UWC. Don't change what it is!

But in general most people are doing the right thing. You are not going to change the event so you just have to make a personal choice to make it more enjoyable for you in the future years. Such as not camping, bringing earplugs, choosing a different camping spot, or simply signing up early for open mic, etc. etc. Heck, the first year I brought like 5 ukes, and I learned to only bring one. Stuff like that. Every year you learn something new. So take the event for what it is, come, enjoy it... just dont try the change the event. Change what you decide to do to make it a better experience for you! The bones of the event are there. A stage, a tent, a sound system, an open mic start time. If there is something that does not suit you, realize you cant change the event but you can change how you attend the event.

I hope that makes sense. It is kind of disjointed. But... it is just a point I wanted to make.

Last edited:
Well said Mim!
A common thing people say to me about my YouTube videos or when I play is that I need to smile more, that I never look like I am enjoying myself.
I find it true, and I usually respond that I really do enjoy playing but concentrating on the performance itself keeps me from smiling.
Well here is me on stage at UWC.
attachment.php

That is the happiest I have looked while paying ever!
Mahalo Mainland Mike for all that you do!

UWC2014DSY.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Mim.

I declared two rules years ago.

1. Don't be a douch.
2. Don't fall in the fire.

Remember people, this is a private party. Sort of like the UU site. We are guests, we don't own it and the people who run it are very cool people so just be nice. Enhance the experience, don't change it.

UWC just is. Mike gives it breath and life and makes it happen. The rest just is. Show up and move with the rhythm.

I hate crowds. I hate loud sounds. I hate big social settings.

I love UWC, because it just is.

Don't try to add structure beyond what Mike does. He knows what he's doing and throws the world's best party. Show up and just be.

I know I ain't getting any sleep at UWC! But I love falling asleep to the sound of harmonies by a campfire.

That's the best part, drifting off to Ukes and waking up to them.

Thank you Mim.

I declared two rules years ago.

1. Don't be a douch.
2. Don't fall in the fire.

Remember people, this is a private party. Sort of like the UU site. We are guests, we don't own it and the people who run it are very cool people so just be nice. Enhance the experience, don't change it.

You're rules are perfect.

The second part is very true and is exactly what makes UWC so special.

I agree with Mim! I have been there every year since I found out about it right before the second one. Mike throws the best party I go to every year and definately the longest.
I'm an old guy. I listen to the good players at the open mic. When I get sleepy enough, I go to bed sleep and get up in the morning and start playing again. Can't get any better than that!

CAN IT BE JUNE ALREADY!?!?

so looking forward to UWC and just being around ace ppl and hearing ukulele.

i promise not to fall in the fire or be a douche.
mx

Does anyone have a spare bed at UWC this year? I'd like to stay in a house or cabin with some UWC folks, and would be happy to help with expenses. It's possible that Mim or Mainland Mike might vouch for my character, if need be. Just PM me if you have any room available. Thanks, Stephen (aka Steedy). P.S. That's me in the photo. :)

Stephen solo UWC VII June 2015.jpg

Does anyone have a spare bed at UWC this year? I'd like to stay in a house or cabin with some UWC folks, and would be happy to help with expenses. It's possible that Mim or Mainland Mike might vouch for my character, if need be. Just PM me if you have any room available. Thanks, Stephen (aka Steedy). P.S. That's me in the photo. :)

View attachment 89075

Maybe start a group for a cabin, This place is close by and fits up to 8, http://browncountyin.com/cabins/the-ridge

Top Bottom