A strength and weakness of ukulele culture

But.. if Nickie is leading a jam session.. that's her job.
What is her job? Anyway, you use the term Jam session, and I don't know what Nickie is doing. I think that Bill touched on this, but there are a lot of people who measure their identity and self worth, by reaching particular levels in whatever it is they are doing, by conforming to some ascending measures of competence established by some governing entity, be it a music teacher, or some sanctioning authority, and receiving some sort of tangible recognition for it. Like when they gave you stars in first grade for reading. Other's do not identify as much with those conformations.

Last edited:
Yes, the difficulty is that ukulele playing crosses so many genre. To be universally applied a ukulele standard repertoire would need to be genre agnostic. Luckily Uncle Rod has already provided one.

http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com/

The ukulele is by no means unique in that respect. There are a number of instruments that are used in a variety of genres. Violin, guitar, clarinet, flute to name a few.

I know that many people find Uncle Rod's bootcamp useful but it doesn't cut it for me. I prefer to learn my chords in context so I look for songs that enable me to learn new cords and new progressions. That's the way I have built up my repertoire of chords. Just gradually adding more chords as I learn new songs.

The ukulele is by no means unique in that respect. There are a number of instruments that are used in a variety of genres. Violin, guitar, clarinet, flute to name a few.

I know that many people find Uncle Rod's bootcamp useful but it doesn't cut it for me. I prefer to learn my chords in context so I look for songs that enable me to learn new cords and new progressions. That's the way I have built up my repertoire of chords. Just gradually adding more chords as I learn new songs.

Funny you should say that because I sort of agree with you in that after useing bootcamp a while I stopped my bootcamp sessions and went with trying to play songs I liked. Months later I tried the bootcamp again and was pleasantly surprised to see some improvement in my transitions from chord to chord.

So I was able to use Uncle Rod's method as a reference to gauge my progress much the same as music students use a "standard repertory".

Last edited:
I've been playing about six weeks now and I find Uncle Rod's Bootcamp exercises useful, but I don't think I'd have the patience to do nothing but strumming those chords for weeks unti I had them nailed. They're good warm-up exercises and I've definitely learned from them, but like Geoff mentioned, learning chords by playing actual songs is much more enjoyable and probably more productive.

it's probably just because I've been listening to a lot of mandolin bluegrass, and I appreciate the well defined corpus of work...

I would think that a person would be hard pressed to find any music that is as structured as bluegrass. I have a friend who has tried to get up to speed playing bluegrass guitar and it is pretty daunting to jump into a bluegrass jam and there are definitely unwritten rules as to who belongs and who doesn't belong in the jam.

I am so thankful that there is no such structure with the ukulele. If one was established the UU Marketplace would have to have it's own website.

John

I think there used to be a sort of "standard" repertoire for the uke, but those days are long gone.

I think that mentality was also linked closely to the limited view of the uke being a sort of two-genre only instrument:
ie novelty/vaudeville/jazz era standards and Hawaiian songs.

In this third wave the boundaries have been shattered and the genres are crossed so frequently. This time around we have seen the uke emerge and be recognised for it's full potential; it is now rightly seen as a serious instrument capable of playing as wide a range of musical styles as limited only by the imagination and ability of the player.

We now have professional ukulele players around the world combining every genre of music you care to name: old-time; gospel; bluegrass; jazz; pop; blues; country; classical; R&B; folk; instrumental and on it goes.

For myself, I have yet to find a style of music the uke cannot do well.

So, I guess what I'm saying is there is no standard repertoire anymore. I too, agree and think as janeray above. I like the surprise element and a very much turned off when I hear yet another version of Aint She Sweet, White Sandy Beach et al. I'd rather play Couldn't I Just Tell You by Todd Rundgren. :p

Truth spoken here.

What is her job? Anyway, you use the term Jam session, and I don't know what Nickie is doing.

I am an Event Organizer for TBUS.
I lead a Saturday Evening Jam Session once a month in Clearwater. We usually do about two dozen songs in about two hours. I lead from the front of the room. We have about 20 players. 90% of them are beginners, and a couple are seasoned players. We are all learning the ukulele together, I feel. No ukulele player is left behind. We just started putting the songs up on a screen, kinda karaoke style. We have a bassist to keep us together.
I hope that explains it!

I am an Event Organizer for TBUS.
I lead a Saturday Evening Jam Session once a month in Clearwater. We usually do about two dozen songs in about two hours. I lead from the front of the room. We have about 20 players. 90% of them are beginners, and a couple are seasoned players. We are all learning the ukulele together, I feel. No ukulele player is left behind. We just started putting the songs up on a screen, kinda karaoke style. We have a bassist to keep us together.
I hope that explains it!
It does, thanks.

I think people should worry less about what they think they ought to play and more about what they want to play.

I agree with mikelz777, the uke is fun. I think people should keep it fun by doing their own thing and enjoy. You can "conform" with group activities, which should also be fun, but just do what you like.

Funny you should say that because I sort of agree with you in that after useing bootcamp a while I stopped my bootcamp sessions and went with trying to play songs I liked. Months later I tried the bootcamp again and was pleasantly surprised to see some improvement in my transitions from chord to chord.

So I was able to use Uncle Rod's method as a reference to gauge my progress much the same as music students use a "standard repertory".

I've been playing about six weeks now and I find Uncle Rod's Bootcamp exercises useful, but I don't think I'd have the patience to do nothing but strumming those chords for weeks unti I had them nailed. They're good warm-up exercises and I've definitely learned from them, but like Geoff mentioned, learning chords by playing actual songs is much more enjoyable and probably more productive.

Good points here. Uncle Rod's Bootcamp as a touchstone on your progress or as a warm up to get your fingers going to the right place. Both good uses.

The value of learning through songs is that it keeps you motivated. You are going to choose songs you like and want to sing/play so you will be motivated to overcome any difficulties. It's important to stretch yourself and to play out of your comfort zone but not too much. If you go too far out of your comfort zone you're likely to become disheartened. It's getting the right balance.

Top Bottom