New tenor guitar

Robin Harrison

Reaction score
Just done a part exchange and got this .

Soares resonator tenor guitar.jpgSoares resonator tenor guitar back.jpg

A Soares'y tenor resonator guitar in Chicago tuning.
Heavy as all get out at something like 20lbs. Sitting down it's not an issue though.
I am enamoured of the bluesy resonator sound but I think it needs to see a guitar tehnician; it makes an awful rattly vibrating sound sometimes.
I wonder if the cone is loose or touching something. It's come from inside the body ; it doesn't seem to be the strings buzzing.
Any ideas ?
Here's a question though; do I need to take it to someone who specializes in resonators or should any experienced technician be able to sort it out.
Thanks for any advice.
BTW...I've just noticed my Jack Russell in the reflection on the back........nice.

Last edited:
Start with the easy parts. Any of the metal elements might be vibrating and causing the buzz/rattle. Often, you hear the noise radiated from a different place, so where you hear it doesn't tell you much.

Play whatever it is that causes the noise and damp each metal part with your hand. Big parts require touching in multiple places. If the noise stops, you're touching the rattling part. Now work out how to damp it (scraps of felt or rubber can be helpful).

The obvious candidates are the cover plate (you have a screw missing), the tailpiece, and the tuning machines.

If it's nothing you can find, remove the cover plate and examine the cone. Is it distorted, does it sit flat? Remember, the cone is very fragile.

If all looks good there, then either find someone with reso experience (many Luthiers won't have this) or prepare to do a lot of online research to work out how to fix it yourself.

Many thanks Chris............I found this online and I think it is the problem

Before restringing the guitar check the tailpiece. The area is a common offender. The metal tailpiece will eventually make contact with the cover plate and will produce an annoying rattle. The cheap fix is to place a piece of fabric or leather under the tailpiece. This will cure this problem area for the life of the guitar.
I have substantially improved it but I have sourced a guitar tech in S.Ontario who comes with a great rep. so I'll take it there.

Top Bottom