Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin LX1 Guitar Excellent for Ukers

just what we need here, more GAS enablers.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Thanks for the replies, Josh, Rake, and Strum.

I'm really digging this little Martin, even though guitars do have strings that are too close together compared to ukes. LOL

Playing it makes me feel cool as I can emulate some of my favorite rock tunes. My son has seven years of guitar lessons and playing under his belt, so he is, like, up here (uses hand to show the ceiling). I'm, like, down here (uses hand to point to the arch of his foot).
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 02-12-2016 at 05:33 AM.

My favorite Martin is the D15 and I do wish I never parted with it. I sold the gentleman who bought it from me a Breedlove, too. He really loves the Martin and said that it is his absolute favorite guitar. When I got it (used) the relief angle was bad and the saddle had to be replaced. I did the work on it myself and it played as smooth as silk. It's just one in a long list of instruments that have come and gone in my life (I've been playing guitar and ukulele since the 1960s).
    TB or not TB, that is congestion.

http://tricornpublications.com/uke_player.htm
    (Ukulele Player Magazine)
    Ukulele Player Magazine STORE...
    http://www.zazzle.com/ukeplayermagazine

I'll be the first to whine. 1 11/16th nut width is intolerable for many of us who play uke mainly because we don't have girlish fingertips. The cordoba mini-m or islander gl6 seems more in line with my tastes.
    Last edited by bnolsen; 02-28-2016 at 07:41 AM.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Little Martin, and especially the part about the coupons floating around. I am glad you are adding guitar to your repertoire, they are fun too. I don't think it takes anything away from uke, I find they both make me work a little better on the other.

Yeah I always thought a baritone uke was just so difficult to reach on the scale, LOL. It is, but I wanted a small body steel string acoustic for that thumpy steel bass. I eventually ended up with a good case of GAS so I've been hunting short scale acoustics but haven't tried the Little Martin yet. I also wanted to try a Taylor GS Mini.

I also like the 24" scale Larrivee spruce over mahogany P-01 I have, and they are all solid wood and you can find them on Craigslist for around $5-600 every now and then. The Composite Acoustics Cargo is a smaller body 22.75 scale carbon fiber so pricier, but a nice small weatherproof guitar for the money.

I found my fingers couldn't last long on the steel strings, so I started looking for short scale nylons. I ended up with 3 1920s parlors. They are sweet but have those big V necks so they take a little adjustment when fretting chords.

I love my Cordoba Cadete for it's playability but wanted a brighter sound, and have seriously gassed for an all solid flamed maple anything. I just got a 25.6" scale vintage all solid flamed maple Goya flamenco guitar for $400 out the door including a SKB hard case and a $200 pup inside. It's basically just a maple classical, with a little thinner body.

So it's been A GAS but now I have a lot of guitars as well as ukes to sell. My rental house is too small. Annnd my ex just gave me his gorgeous custom Kanile'a tenor.

For wider string spacing go with a classical or check out the crossovers. I love the Cadete for the short scale and found I really do like that wide neck. Hence two additional classicals to mess with. I'm just capoing the neck at the 2nd fret on the full scale Goya for playing anything that needs more than a 3 fret stretch.
    I should be curling up with a good uke, a book and my dog.

Thanks for the replies, Pip and bnolson.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Teek. I agree that the guitar and uke go nicely, hand in hand. It's odd, when I first picked up (and put down...lol) the acoustic guitar the strings felt too close and I was just unwilling to learn all my chordings again. Then, play it for a week, and the window opens and the air is fresh.

It's nice get on the other side of the fence, to find many of the niggles about ukulele such as reduced sustain and volume, are no longer issues. :-) And to play classic rock and blues and have it sound much like the tunes Ive loved on the radio, well it's a bonus (along with thousands of guitar tutorials online, and the axe one can buy for the price of a mid-range ukulele is phenomenal). As you suggest, I actually play the ukulele better now that I play flat-top guitar, too!

I do enjoy the compact ukulele still, although I do not play it as much. Got a vintage Martin D-35 the other week--sounds like a baby grand piano.

Thanks for the replies.

Vintage D-35? Nice score, Steve-O!

Hey CONGRATS on the vintage D-35!!!! WooHoo!!!
    I should be curling up with a good uke, a book and my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    I eventually ended up with a good case of GAS so I've been hunting short scale acoustics but haven't tried the Little Martin yet. I also wanted to try a Taylor GS Mini.
    Here is a nice comparison of the LX1 to the GS Mini:

Teek, as you're local to me there you might be interested to know there's a guy in Pasadena converting his retail to shop to online only. He has several GS Minis without the pickups he'll sell for $400 OTD (street price is $499). Email if you want the details. I've been toying with the idea of getting one, but should probably stay focused on the uke.
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

It opens a whole new window to play guitar, Eddie. At first, it's so weird, but stick with it daily and in a week you'll be playing geetar like all your jukebox heros.

Thread Information