With a Little Help From My Friends

Michelle

Great idea for a contest! Here's one of many Beatle's favorites. Played on a Bruce Wei Baritone with Aquila Red strings.

Hello!! Here is my ukulele cover of "I Will", starring my beautiful kitty, Autumn! What a lovely gesture this contest is while paying tribute to the Beatles! So excited! Hope everyone has a great Valentine's Day! -Savannah xoxoxo

First off... kudos and thanks to Steve for his incredible generosity and support of this community by hosting this contest. I posted about it on facebook and it looks like we brought a few new faces to the party over here, many of them talented and enthusiastic. I have deliberately NOT watched any of the entries to avoid (a) discouragement or (b) influence on my own creative process in trying to select just one from the Beatles pantheon to submit here. That said, I look forward to watching everything that Steve's super contest inspired us to create! I'm sure the eventual winner will cherish this uke play it as it deserves to be played (daily!)

One must approach songs by the Beatles with some reverence since the originals are embedded in our collective psyche. I tried to incorporate many of the elements of the original in my arrangement. A hint of the bass line, the marvelous Rhodes keyboard work and the guitar are all present here. Thanks for listening.

I am sorry, but I do not see and have failed to locate the 'delete' button. What does it look like?

Last edited:
I am sorry, but I do not see and have failed to locate the 'delete' button. What does it look like?

Claude, After clicking on Edit Post, click on Go Advanced and you will see it at the top. I sure hope your not going to delete your song. I really enjoyed it! :D

I am not going to enter (entry level uke matches my entry level playing lol) but I just wanted to say how utterly generous Steve :worship::rock::D

New member (long time forum reader) - I want to say thanks to Libranian who mentioned the competiion in the ukulele group on facebook. This is an extremely generous offer and I hope more good things come back in return for giving away a beautiful instrument. It's also just fun to see everyone's take. I'm afraid the battery on my camera was running out, so I was in rather a panic singing this. I think it's also clear I have to read the lyrics...I know it's a short song, but they just wouldn't stay in my head!

New member (long time forum reader) ... I think it's also clear I have to read the lyrics...I know it's a short song, but they just wouldn't stay in my head!
https://youtu.be/O1XX3-hNORc

I almost always have the lyrics in front of me when I'm recording. If I'm going to sing a song live, I will learn the song so I can sing it without the lyrics in front of me so I can connect with the audience but if I'm recording I like to have the lyrics available to reduce the number of mistakes and so reduce the number of takes I need to get a reasonable sounding recording.

That was a good one by the way. You really captured the feel of the song.

Thanks Geoff/Tootler :) love the melody of the song, (whether I agree with the sentiment of burning down a woman's room/house because she made him sleep in the bath is a slightly different matter:rolleyes:) ) That's good to know re: lyric-reading, makes me feel a somewhat better. It seems to take me quite a long while to drum the lyrics of any song fully into my head to the point where I don't even have to think about it...maybe my brain was ever thus, or maybe I'm just getting old!

Last call, players: One more day, plus a few hours. Contest closes at midnight tomorrow!

Hi all! Thank you Steve, for this fun reason to learn a new song! I adore The Beatles, and a friend asked me to sing in her wedding soon (yikes!!) so...great timing :) I recorded this outside with just my laptop mic next to a noisy koi pond waterfall, but I think you can make it out. Everyone who has participated-- I've so enjoyed watching your submissions! Keep on strummin'!

Wishing you sunshine and music,
Kirsten

This is awesome-- I hear a lil' Johnny Cash in there ;) Love your version!
(that comment is for Pabrizzer...thought it was going to post under his submission...trying to change it...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom