Charango anyone?

seattle

Reaction score
Just curious as to whether anyone here has a Charango (tuning is similar to a ukulele)?

I was just given a cheap one. I play it like a ukulele but I think the traditional style is more of a finger picking style.

My kids bought me a charango 3 years ago on my 60th birthday. I had one years ago and someone borrowed it and never gave it back.

My kids bought me a charango 3 years ago on my 60th birthday. I had one years ago and someone borrowed it and never gave it back.

Have you played it much during these last 3 years? Does yours have low (or playable) action as you get toward the bridge?

Yes mine is playable, though I haven't played it a lot. We are going to work on a Los Kjarkas song, so I should be practicing again soon. Mine is playable toward the bridge.
I saw these guys live a few times in Bolivia during the 80's.

Hey Doug, when I see you at UWC tell me the story of how you ended up in Columbia. Hopefully not with Butch and Sundance!

I'll add that a charango is hard to find online where you have any indication of what you will actually be getting. Most are sold by people who can't answer your questions.

There are a few local stores in the U.S. that carry charangos but there is usually a $100 or more premium over anything you find online and online isn't particularly cheap for what you are actually getting.

Hey Doug, when I see you at UWC tell me the story of how you ended up in Columbia. Hopefully not with Butch and Sundance!

Steve,
I will give you the whole Bolivia story at UWC; charangos, dancing, divorce, scary bus rides through the mountains. You'll laugh, you'll cry, it'll change your life.

I've recently become interested in the charango. I have it a lot. It can be played as a melody instrument (i.e. similar to classical guitar) or as a rhythm instrument. I like it a lot!

I used to have one. It was really my entry into the uke world. Loved the sound, but I hated that bowl back, wide fretboard, and the extra pair of strings. Then I bought an 8-string uke and never looked back. Not the same sound, but a ton easier to play.

- FiL

I'd check with fernandogardinali

Top Bottom