new short scale tenor guitar

granger

Reaction score
Finished up a little 20.125" scale tenor guitar tuned DGBe. It is x-braced using the patterns from a 1950's Martin tenor. One piece mahogany neck with carbon fiber passive truss rod, koa headstock overlay, ebony fretboard, Brazilian rosewood pinless bridge, body koa, top redwood, bracing Adirondack spruce. Reverse heel bolt on neck similar to the design used by Tacoma on the Papoose model. Grover open geared tuners. Body length 14", Lower bout 10 3/4". I am happy with how she plays and sounds!!! Anyone wanting particulars on the build I will share what I can.

DSCF3200.jpgDSCF3232.jpgDSCF3237.jpgDSCF3233.jpg

Nice job! When you have a chance, a sound sample would go nice with the great photos.

Very nice, I like short scale tenor guitars (or large baritones with steel strings). Would love to see more of these around...

Very cool I am a fan of smaller tenor guitars. What is the nut width, most being 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" are too small, I like 1-3/8".

I would also be interested in the make of strings and the sizes used. Did you have much of a challenge finding strings that you were happy with.

Last edited:
down up dave,

I kept the nut width the same as my bari uke and it is just under 1.5". I had a blue ridge tenor quitar and did not care for the narrow neck, in part that is what prompted me to build my own. The strings were purchased as single strings and are D'Addario they are as follows: D .036w @ 24 lbs; G .026w @ 20lbs; B .018 @ 18 lbs; e .012 @ 16 lbs. Compensation required is D .21; G .21; B .39; e .2. At first I had .013 e; but the e had too much sustain and so I dropped to a 12 to get better balance. It is a bit light and doesn't want to be fretted hard or it will ring sharp. The B required a lot of compensation so I used a bit thicker saddle so I had plenty to work with. I like these strings.

+1 on the 1 1/2 inch neck. I play almost all fingerstyle and that extra space is a luxury :)

down up dave,
I kept the nut width the same as my bari uke and it is just under 1.5". I had a blue ridge tenor quitar and did not care for the narrow neck, in part that is what prompted me to build my own. .

Top Bottom