Heavy Tenor Guitar Strings

BigD

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time no posting lol i figured this would be the best spot for a question i cant seem to find a good answer for. I have a blueridge br40tce tenor guitar and absolutely love it. It has definitely become my go to player on a day to day basis. My question lies in my issue with the e string. I havent changed the strings since ive bought it and the e string is just incredibly high and twangy. Im aware that it is always going to be the smallest gauge and the highest string played but does anyone have any experience with different, heavier strings? Id like a little more depth to the sound and maybe tone down the brightness of that string a bit. Plus i prefer the feel of heavier strings! I play in dgbe and feel i can purchase probably most any regular six string set and use the top four but what is too heavy ya think? Anyone one with suggestions or hands on experience with what a good set would be is most appreciated!! thanks!

I have the very same instrument as you do. I found the the stock strings too bright on the treble as well, mine is tuned DGBE. They measure .10, .13, 16, .31 and I switched them out for 12, 16, 24, .35.

One of the guys here used a set of .13 - .56, which are mediums. I think that would be your best bet to eliminate as much brightness as possible.

Last edited:
I had the very same thought. I'm playing an old Harmony tenor in DGBE and felt that it sounded a little too tinny, jangley, however you might describe it. I had 10s on it and swapped out for Elixir 13s. Better, but would consider heavier even, if it could handle it.

Ive yet to ever play elixers and have been thinking about giving them a shot, which set did you end up putting on yours? DownUpDave what brand did you throw on yours? Ive always been a fan of ernie ball earthwoods for my big ol six string which i dont play much anymore and wonder if they would suffice. I felt like the tone and sparkle kinda faded from them quite quick though, one of my only gripes. Thanks for the gauge suggestion though guys, anyone else wanna chime in? I figured there has to be at least a few of us on here with the same issue considering the increase in the tenor guitars popularity lately. I do love this thing though ;) sold my pono for it and havent once looked back, only thing that gets much playtime besides this is the shortscale bass and my cheapy makala pineapple that has paid for itself in music and good times a hundred times over!

Im thinking of using the 13's. Ive never quite grasped the gauge calculators and such but this shouldnt hurt the tenor will it? If bunnyf is putting them on an old harmony my blueridge should be fine you'd think? Just had to ask again, im in the process of trying to determine whats best but figured id feel pretty dumb if i bought something or strung something wrong on me ol guitar without asking here first

I like the Martin's .012 on my Tenor Guitar. I've read of other people that they have been using 13's, so you should be ok.

Put some elixir poly .012's on earlier today and man its made a huge difference. Feels much better on the fingers too, its my first time using elixirs and i think i may have a new favorite. Took most of the too thin sounding janglyness out so i can strum hard and it still sounds smooth.

Top Bottom