Song Help Request What is this chord notation?

mikelz777

Reaction score

I've never seen this notation before and can't seem to find it on any chord chart. Is this someone's made up notation or an alternative notation for something more common? Does anyone out there know what this is?

You've answered my question! I'm used to seeing the notation as Cdim. I was finding Cdim on the various chord charts but no C°. Now I know! Thank you.

Last edited:
In a similar vein you may sometimes see an augmented chord listed as "+", as in "C+" rather than "C aug".

As well as the half diminished (minor7 flat 5) which is sometimes notated as ø

Rather than start a separate thread I was hoping someone could help me with this chord - D79.

I think it's an 'added tone chord' but honestly have no idea how to play it. Googling it brings up a few ukulele chord sheets (including Unforgettable and I Say A Little Prayer For You) but no shape diagrams.

FYI: I'm trying to learn McCartney's Step Inside Love, in the key of A.

All help appreciated :D

Rather than start a separate thread I was hoping someone could help me with this chord - D79.

I think it's an 'added tone chord' but honestly have no idea how to play it. Googling it brings up a few ukulele chord sheets (including Unforgettable and I Say A Little Prayer For You) but no shape diagrams.

FYI: I'm trying to learn McCartney's Step Inside Love, in the key of A.

All help appreciated :D

I've never seen anything notated just as "D79" - do you have a link to the chord chart in question? I'm guessing it's D7add9 (also indicated as D7+9) - the second diagram in this link shows you how to play it on the fifth fret.

I highly recommend Roy Sakuma's Treasury of Ukulele Chords - I've carried a copy of it around for years and unlike most of the other chord books or web resources I've found, it never fails to have just what I'm looking for.

I've never seen anything notated just as "D79" - do you have a link to the chord chart in question? I'm guessing it's D7add9 (also indicated as D7+9) - the second diagram in this link shows you how to play it on the fifth fret.

I highly recommend Roy Sakuma's Treasury of Ukulele Chords - I've carried a copy of it around for years and unlike most of the other chord books or web resources I've found, it never fails to have just what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think you must be correct - the chord is D7add9.

The chord sheet is here. It's for guitar and I have it transposed to play in A, cos it just sounds better to me that way.

Will check out the chord treasury :D

Also, thanks to ubulele for the pm - lots of useful info.

Top Bottom