100th Anniversary Kamaka

Didn't KoAloha move somewhat recently? I may be mistaken.

Not yet, they have new factory space that they plan to move into - close to Ala Moana mall. Their permit on the new factory was stuck in red tape and just got approved last month. But for now, they are still in Kalihi in the same spot they have bedn since opening in 1995. They hope to make the move this year. I have seen the architect renderings on the new place, it looks like it will be beautiful when they are finished.

Sorry for the hijack in a Kamaka thread...but still, I am curious as to what space Kamaka is moving to. :)

Not yet, they have new factory space that they plan to move into - close to Ala Moana mall. Their permit on the new factory was stuck in red tape and just got approved last month. But for now, they are still in Kalihi in the same spot they have bedn since opening in 1995. They hope to make the move this year. I have seen the architect renderings on the new place, it looks like it will be beautiful when they are finished.

Sorry for the hijack in a Kamaka thread...but still, I am curious as to what space Kamaka is moving to. :)
They didn't give an exact address, just said "light industrial area closer to the airport." They said they are moving because their sawdust clogs the intake of the surrounding building's AC units and the property owners are mad. Two new condo buildings are going in near them. As you know, they are near the courthouse, etc. so their landowner (was surprised they don't own that building) declined to renew their lease. They've been there over 40 years.

Why they don't build in the rain- humidity problems. Their shop doesn't have AC, just the office, so I guess they can't control the humidity level in the factory?

Those are different model. I am just curious if all of the Tenor size sound the same that's all. You know people say every uke sounds different even with the same wood.

Here's one from some scrub:

My husband would leave me :p so I will just have to live vicariously through everyone else ;)

Thought you were going to say "I'll miss him."

Received my 100th Anniversary Kamaka Ohta-san with spruce top from Mims Ukes this a.m. At my request, Mim changed the stock strings to Worth Browns, Low G. The pairing is perfect! Believe I like it even better than the Fremont Blackline koa Ohta-san combination.

Edit. btw Mim was great to work with. Very professional, yet fun too. Would not hesitate to recommend her or to order from her again.

Last edited:
Received my 100th Anniversary Kamaka Ohta-san with spruce top from Mims Ukes this a.m. At my request, Mim changed the stock strings to Worth Browns, Low G. The pairing is perfect! Believe I like it even better than the Fremont Blackline koa Ohta-san combination.

Awesome! I am jealous! I'm waitlisted, so waiting patiently. The more I see about the 100 year anniversary models, the more I want one of each scale. 100-year UAS?

how do these compare to other models? Is the sound out of this world?

Congratulations! I've seen a few of the 100th anniversary Kamakas up close (including a custom) and they're great. I love the Kamakas I have, and I'd have to sell them to buy 100th anniversary versions of them, so I'm forcing myself to do without. A bird in the hand ....

Awesome! I am jealous! I'm waitlisted, so waiting patiently. The more I see about the 100 year anniversary models, the more I want one of each scale. 100-year UAS?

Thank you. Hope you don't have to wait to much longer! Have been waiting for the 100 Year Anniversary models and feel fortunate to have two, the cedar-top Concert Deluxe and the spruce top Ohta-San Deluxe. 100 year UAS? Probably.:)

Congratulations! I've seen a few of the 100th anniversary Kamakas up close (including a custom) and they're great. I love the Kamakas I have, and I'd have to sell them to buy 100th anniversary versions of them, so I'm forcing myself to do without. A bird in the hand ....

Thank you. The 100th Anniversary Kamakas I have are gorgeous and do sound great. Especially surprising was the spruce top Ohta-san. The spruce top is very pretty with a faint white line going through the center. Koa b/s and headstock are beautiful, of course.

Top Bottom