Polished wound C string

Ukulelerick9255

Reaction score
Anyone know of a single string or set besides southcoast with a polished C string. I'm looking for something like the Fremont soloist low g only in C. The D'addario Nyltech C squeaks to much and southcoast is always out of stock.

Oasis was experimenting with one, not sure where that went.

Some people have suggested Thomastik-Infeld CF27. It's a guitar string, but it's flat wound. It was not bad. TI has a different tone than the solist though.

Also, GHS has an alu wound C "H-T13". Not sure if thats flat/polished though, as I've not used it.

I just bought some D'Addario .024" diameter wound classical guitar strings from JustStrings. They work very well for a wound C. Here is a link:

http://www.juststrings.com/dad-nyl024w.html

Thanks for this. I really like wound bases for my Boat Paddle ML tenor and Barron River 8 string. Especially for the 8 string it is hard to find suitable sets. I think I am going to have to put together custom sets with a standard 4 string set as the starting point.

I have just replaced the strings on my Boat Paddle tenor with a set of LaBella Tenor Uke set No.12. The 3rd string is aluminum over nylon. I tried several different brands and could not get away from the "thud" sound I was hearing on the c string on unwound sets. This set really does a great job with volume and sustain. In fact the whole set is very will balanced. I can't comment yet on their durability but they are relatively inexpensive. I highly recommend these. They have ended my long search for some strings that give me great feedback i've been looking for. I might experiment with a wound 4th string next. The search never ends, does it.

Also, GHS has an alu wound C "H-T13". Not sure if thats flat/polished though, as I've not used it.

At this point, no it's not. It doesn't have a ton of "squeak" at all, given the metal used. However, when put in context of three other nylon strings, that's usually exacerbated somewhat.

For those of you that are hearing Thuddy 3rd strings, what kind are they, and what is the diameter? I have yet to hear a Thuddy 3rd string on uke, only on guitar. I use solely flourocarbon and at those densities and gauges which are sub .030" I just don't hear it coming close to thudding.

The oasis was very squeaky....the only polished C I have found so far is in a set from Southcoast but always out of stock.

For those of you that are hearing Thuddy 3rd strings, what kind are they, and what is the diameter? I have yet to hear a Thuddy 3rd string on uke, only on guitar. I use solely flourocarbon and at those densities and gauges which are sub .030" I just don't hear it coming close to thudding.

@Recstar24: I have a "thuddy" 3rd (C) string on my Anuenue solid mahogany standard. They are D'Addario "Nyltech" strings. My low G on that uke is a wound D'Addario Pro Arte guitar D string. Sounds good. The Nyltechs... not so much.

My Kala SMHS has Martin flourocarbons and an Augustine "black" wound string on low G. Great sound, and no thud.

The oasis was very squeaky....the only polished C I have found so far is in a set from Southcoast but always out of stock.

Just got am email "bulletin" today from Southcoast. They have been adjusting their ML-WB set a bit. Said all sets should be fully in stock in 2 weeks. There is a reason they're always out. They are very good and the demand has been great. Worth waiting for.

I've had bad luck with the ML-WB's.
They sound good initially, but stretch alot.
The wounds stretch for a long time, and then they sound kinda.. off.
The FC's, shred I'm on my 3rd set now. The 1 string especially wears out fast.
Both of the first 2 sets did this. Set 1 was from the very first batch. Set 2 and 3 were from the second batch.

I hope they get it worked out.

I pursued this very thing for a few years. I tried many different strings trying to liven up that #3. My choices, it turned out were embrace the squeak of wound strings (personal opinion that the "flat-wound" options offer little to no difference) or use technique to emphasize third string sound when necessary. Neither is a perfect solution, but I went with technique even though my low-G instruments have wound #4's.

Top Bottom