100 Push Up Challenge

Valerie

Reaction score
I've started a strength training program in preparation for my clinical this summer. But, not having worked out seriously in about a year, I knew I needed a gimmic.

But, being a poor college student, I didn't want to actually, you know, buy anything.

And then I found this site:

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

And I was sold!

The basic premise is this: be able to do 100 consecutive, good form push ups in 6 weeks. (the kind of pushups doesn't matter- regular, knuckle, girlie, wall...)

Exactly the kind of near-impossible goal I need to motivate myself to go to the gym and lift weights (I hate lifting weights...)

Here's my initial test video as proof (and to keep me honest/ check for good form)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBJP3TPc0wU

I did 6, but only 4 had good form (I'm counting good form as shoulders dropping in line with elbows.)

That puts me at the lowest level... But I guess that means I've lots of room to improve!

Anyone want to join me???

sounds good.

when i first started out our goal was 75 solid pu a day. at my pinnacle when i was really in shape (nearly 15 years ago pre-gf/wife while training for triathlons and surfing way too much) i was doing over 700. yikes! now i can barely survive 50.

I've always been plagued with upper extremity problems. I broke my right elbow (and torn the ligaments), and have a bad right shoulder. So at my best I could do 30 push ups. Sad, for me anyways, was a year ago I could do those 30. Now, well... it's amazing how quickly you can become deconditioned. I've gained 10 pounds in a year and lost pretty much all of my hard won muscle.

Like I said before, time to get back to the gym. This 100 push up thing is to just keep me motivated. (but wouldn't it be awesome to actually accomplish 100 push ups???)

This looks pretty cool! I have the upper body of ET, so I could certainly use the training.

JJ

im doing the P90x program. Ive had it for awhile, its just now that i got really motivated to do it after a good friend of mine did the program with fantastic results. how good? well enough for him to be entered into a drawing for $250,000. anywho, this is my 4th week so far and i can testify that this program works! Good luck on your journey!!! you can do it!

I did about 20 terrible ones today on an exercise ball (like this). My arms feel like jello.

It's funny, cuz I was just thinking to myself "I should set a goal for pushups" and then literally 3 seconds later, I saw this thread. It must be a sign!

Haha! Deach you're a monster!

Hey Valerie,
100 pushups is a very impressive goal!

I hate weight lifting too. I use a technique I know as 10 minute pushups.

Basically you do 10 pushups per minute for 10 minutes. You start with the best form you can manage and take as long as you need to. If you run over a minute you just don't get to rest. If your first 10 pushups just take 5 seconds then you get to rest for 55 seconds until you start your second set of 10. BUT, you finish all 100 no matter what. Cheat, wiggle, go to your knees, whatever. Just push them out. Next time do a couple more. Before you know it you will be able to knock out 100 in 10 minutes which is pretty bad*** in and of itself!

I usually lay a watch on the floor in front of me. You can vary the type of pushup you do and when you can do all 100 with decent form go ahead and add just 1 more per set or cut your rest time down by a few seconds at a time.

100 pushups sounds simple enough but it's a humbling goal.

GOOD LUCK!!

I just checked out the website you linked to in the video. That program looks solid. Those sets look like they're designed to HURT. But you've got enough rest time in between workouts, so you'll be able to recover. I like how they put a set in the beginning with more reps, set two or three, then a bunch of not so hard sets at the end. Those NOT SO HARD sets are the killers, when the lactic acid has built up, that's what's gonna make this workout work. So pain is good, remember that.

Geesh, I really should bust out the webcam for this... :mad:DAMN IT!

:rolleyes:

Ok, I'll take the test first thing in the morning:D

(btw, there's a 200 SITups program too)

Last edited:
If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch there's a matching app (also called 100 Pushups).

I could do 100 of these push-ups in a row.
WOL-68.jpg

From what I've seen of some of your slinkier outfits, you might want to invest in something that lifts and separates...

Last edited:
while training for triathlons and surfing way too much) i was doing over 700. yikes! now i can barely survive 50.
I agree, surfing for a few years gives amazing conditioning. Pushups, pullups behind the back etc, feels like I weigh only like 10 or 20 lbs. I'd grab the pull up bar, pull a few and say: thats it?

sounds good.

when i first started out our goal was 75 solid pu a day. at my pinnacle when i was really in shape (nearly 15 years ago pre-gf/wife while training for triathlons and surfing way too much) i was doing over 700. yikes! now i can barely survive 50.

700??? You serious? I doubt I could count that far. I would most likely loose the track somewhere and would have to start again!:wallbash:;)

Top Bottom