Several Ukes for Sale, must be picked up in Switzerland

There has been some interest in the Islander GL6, so here is a picture along with the Ibanez EWP15-LTD steel string guitalele:

Ibanez_Islander_GL6.jpg

The Islander GL6 is from the very first batch that was made in 2014. It was purchased from HMS, is perfectly set-up, has a beautiful wood grain, and sounds amazing. The only reason I consider selling it is to upgrade to a "real" Kanilea or KoAloha someday.

The Ibanez EWP15-LTD is nice for experimenting with a short scale steel string guitar (17" like a tenor ukulele), but intonation needs some setup work or better compensation, as the strings go sharp up the fretboard.

Just a reminder to anybody who isn't aware of the fact that Switzerland is NOT a part of the EU, so there will be VAT added in most other European countries. Like I said before, I'm certainly willing to ship abroad, but then taxes and shipping fees will pile up, this is why a local pickup would be a lot more attractive.

My wife and I have upgraded our ukes quickly over the past couple of years, so we have several nice ones that we just don't play very often and would be willing to sell. The problem, however, is that we live far off from any major markets, so cost for shipping and taxes would pretty much kill any attempt of selling internationally, even within Europe.

Here's the deal for those who happen to live or travel in Switzerland: If you come pick it up in Zurich, I'll make you an awesome price, you won't be able to find any better for a high quality ukulele in Europe. This way, you'll even get to play and compare them before you buy. PM me or reply to this thread, and we can work on the details.

These are the instruments that we are thinking of letting go. All of them are in perfect condition and well setup (except where noted in brackets):

Kala KA-C, laminate Mahogany Concert

Pono AT, all solid Acacia Tenor

Pono MGTP, all solid Mango Pineapple Tenor

Pono TE, all solid Acacia Thinbody Electric

G-String C1, all solid dark figured Koa Concert, built by Derek Shimizu in Hawaii - SOLD! -

Kanilea K1-CP, all solid curly premium Koa Concert, UV-Gloss finish (some scratches on the back)

Islander GL6, laminate Acacia Baritone scale Guitalele/Guilele

Kala KA-GTR, solid Spruce top steel string Tenor Guitar (intonation needs some work)

Ibanez EWP15-LTD, laminate Mahogany/Spruce Tenor size Piccolo Guitar (intonation needs some work)

Norman by Godin Protegé B18 CW, solid Cedar top Dreadnought Guitar, Tobacco Sunburst, Fishman pickup, made in Canada

UkeCrazy Hardshell Baritone Case, will fit Baritones of all brands, as well as Guitaleles etc.

We're not in a hurry and won't be going anywhere, so contact me if you're planning a trip to Switzerland, it's a beautiful place to see... and you'll get to play some nice ukes! :cool:

I understand that this post os a year old. Wondering of you still have any of the ukuleles for sale. will be in Switzerland on the 17th of this month. Will be in Zurich for 2 days. let me know if they are still available. thanks

I understand that this post os a year old. Wondering of you still have any of the ukuleles for sale. will be in Switzerland on the 17th of this month. Will be in Zurich for 2 days. let me know if they are still available. thanks

Yes, most of them are still available. As noted above, the only one I sold is the G-String C1 Concert, and I'd rather keep the Kanilea now in order to have one Koa Concert left. Send me a PM via this forum (by clicking my user name), so we can work something out.

I have updated my original post with everything that is available.

Let me know if you need additional photos or anything.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the two Guitaleles, on the right side the Islander GL6 (20" like a baritone uke) that is very similar to the Koa models from Kanilea, and left the Ibanez EWP15 that is made for steel strings (17" scale like a tenor). This is the Spruce top limited edition which is no longer available.

Ibanez_Islander.jpg

After much deliberation, I would also consider selling my custom Jazz Box Uke made by Toby Chennell in the UK. This is a very special archtop tenor with a handcarved top and back as well as all the upgrades possible, like a radius fretboard, cutaway, f-holes, and a side sound port. It has a Spruce top with Flamed Maple back and sides, currently strung with light gauge steel strings, but it works just as well with nylon/fluorocarbon strings. Due to its special construction, it can take both, and with the floating bridge, intonation can be adjusted very easily.

Terms are the same as stated above: Must be picked up in Zurich,Switzerland. This one in particular would be too expensive to ship abroad, as the case (handbuilt to custom fit by Toby as well) is rather heavy. Moreover, due to the archtop construction, it has a very special voice that is very apt for Jazz with fast changing chord sequences, but not necessarily for other styles, so I think it would be in your own interest to come and try before you buy it.

Chennell.jpg

And here is a picture of the Pono TE, semi-hollow electric tenor with the passive pickup. Very low action like an electric guitar, perfectly setup by the knowledgeable folks at Hawaii Music Supply. Sounds great even unplugged. Extremely smooth satin finish for an all woody look and tone.

Pono_TE.jpg

Ibanez Piccolo Guitar is now sold, thank you!

Contact me if you're in Switzerland and interested in any of the instruments offered.

Just received the Piccolo, new strings and great condition. Thanks Rakele!
Could I tune it also in "E", and what kind of strings can I use?
Really happy with it, looks great!

Interested in the jazzbox tenor.
maybe a silly question,
but why won't you post them international?
thanks.

Just received the Piccolo, new strings and great condition. Thanks Rakele!
Could I tune it also in "E", and what kind of strings can I use?
Really happy with it, looks great!

Glad to hear you like it, Michael! I'm afraid tuning down to E would make the strings too floppy, and also throw off intonation at such a short scale length. But you could certainly give it a try...!

Interested in the jazzbox tenor.
maybe a silly question,
but why won't you post them international?
thanks.

Hi Jon, the Jazzbox is nice, and you could probably really make it sing.

The reason why I hesitate to ship internationally is that there was VAT and other fees when I imported these instruments into Switzerland, and when they are now being sent to another country, most likely there will be more taxes added there. Add to that the cost for shipping, and you have a far less attractive total on the buyer's end. If you're fine with that, let me know, and I'll gladly ship to any destination. I just checked: Shipping to Australia would cost between $95 USD (slow) and $140 USD (faster).

The reason why I hesitate to ship internationally is that there was VAT and other fees when I imported these instruments into Switzerland, and when they are now being sent to another country, most likely there will be more taxes added there. Add to that the cost for shipping, and you have a far less attractive total on the buyer's end. If you're fine with that, let me know, and I'll gladly ship to any destination. I just checked: Shipping to Australia would cost between $95 USD (slow) and $140 USD (faster).

I would enjoy hearing Jon play it ... just saying ... lol. :D

I can highly recommend Rakelele as a seller: my husband and I bought three really beautiful instruments from him and they are all immaculate. I'm very sure that you won't regret buying one of his 'ukuleles.

FYI: Australia does not have any duty on items less than $1000.

Top Bottom