Thread: Singing with ukulele

Default Singing with ukulele

I never gave a rip about singing.....
    until I started playing ukulele, and going to jam sessions.
    Then one day I decided to rip into imitating Hank Williams (yep).
    I was so surprised I could strum and sing simultaneously, I jumped up and danced a little.
    I never did like my singing (I dislike my voice).
    Then last month I got out the book Irish Songs for Ukulele that had been sitting around for over a year. I watched You Tube videos, practicing singing along, then adding the strum patterns I thought sounded nice. I really enjoy singing them, well the ones that don't sound a dirge.
    By golly.....I've decided to sing 2 or 3 of them in Open Mic later on this month. I hope I sing in the right key.
    I hope it don't start a food fight.....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I love Irish folk songs! I usually play them on mandolin or tenor banjo, they're great to sing though! I'm not a fan of my singing voice either but Irish folk music is gets me practicing... I did just arrange an instrumental version of The Parting Glass on ukulele which I really like the sound of - no singing involved though ;-)
    Which ones are you doing for open mic?

Glad you never gave up and it came together in the end, same happened with me, one day I printed some Bob Dylan songs and found I could sing and play at the same time, it's nice when it works out.

Thread Information