Smelly uke case

wildfire070

Reaction score
I bought a new hard case and it smells of chemicals. I'm assuming it's the glue that was used. I left it open to air out and that helped but storing my uke in there makes the uke smell all chemical-ly too.

Is there anything that will remove the smell for good? I tried febreeze and also baking soda, but the smell is still there.

If you have a sunny day, put the open case (sans uke) in sunlight for the day.

Leave it open and outside in the sunshine and fresh air. Hopefully you have sunshine and fresh air! I have a couple of the inexpensive hard cases from Musicians friend and haven't had a serious issue.

Fresh air and sunshine when you can have it outside, coffee beans when it is inside if baking soda isn't working. They absorb odor and replace it with a much nicer one. Just set them in a couple layers of filter and staple the one they're in closed completely (or use those ones they use in offices, where the coffee beans are sealed in the filter and you toss the whole thing in the pot). Definitely add a few layers of filter under them, though.

I have had this issue with a couple hard cases and baking powder and febrezze did not work for me either. The best tip I got was from Booli, prop it open in front of a fan on full blast and leave for a full day or two or three, it worked. We don't always have sunshine and fresh air which works as well.

I think for chemicals the best cure is ultraviolet light and air movement. So, outside hanging from a clothesline in the sunlight is probably the best. Or just propped up facing the sun. The way I see it, masking or converting the volatile compounds is only half the problem. Those chemicals have to be finished evaporating for the smell to go away. Probably a couple days will do it.

Last edited:
I have had this issue with a couple hard cases and baking powder and febrezze did not work for me either. The best tip I got was from Booli, prop it open in front of a fan on full blast and leave for a full day or two or three, it worked. We don't always have sunshine and fresh air which works as well.

Ha Ha DuD beat me to it! Thanks for remembering this method.

Worked for me on several no-name Uke-Crazy and various guitar cases I got from Musicians Friend that had the glue smell.

The fan is critical as is move significantly MORE air past the open case, and thus accelerates the release of the chemical vapors (cant recall the name of this process, something something vapor pressure & volatility etc)...

Also folks have suggested putting about 12 oz of fresh kitty litter in an old sock and put that in the case, and keep it closed for like a week, but I never had to do that yet...YMMV

I would definitely let it air out - I did that with a case I bought and it eventually dissipated. If you are less concerned with chemicals and just want the smell to go away, you can always try what I did once. Years ago, I used to have a really nice car and my cat peed in it on the way to the vet. Even though I cleaned it furiously, I couldn't get rid of the smell no matter what I did until my mother-in-law told me to put coffee and coffee grounds in the car. Got rid of the smell like magic.

Thanks for the tips! I'll let it air out some more in the sun and try the coffee beans too if it still smells.

You could put a Cocobolo Ukulele in it to counteract it.
They smell like spice.

Oh, sorry, did I just enable some UAS?

Top Bottom