Lanikai Banjolele: MF deal of the day (16 March 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubulele

Reaction score
Today only, as their "stupid deal of the day," Musician's Friend is selling the Lanikai LB6-S openback soprano banjolele for $180. They normally sell these for $350. The largely fictitious MSRP is $550.

Stupid deal link (today only): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid
Normal listing: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/lanikai-lb6-s-openback-soprano-banjolele

Disclaimer: I'm posting this for informational purposes only; I know nothing of the relative merits or demerits of this model.

Last edited:
Anybody played one? Is this an OK gateway banjolele?

I'm so done with MF I wouldn't take anything from them if they were giving it away.

This shouldnt be posted in the marketplace.

Since people are weighing in more with personal prejudices rather than with substantive comment about this banjolele or the vendor, I'm closing this thread.

Some counter-balance:

Given the massive street price differential, I doubt the Firefly is a near equivalent. I find Flukes and Fleas seriously over-hyped, given their tone and crappy tuners and fretboard; I wouldn't expect the Firefly to be some curious exception (though at least it has metal frets).

You could easily get a good local setup for a fraction of what you'd save on this offer--and the setup wouldn't get thrown off in shipping--so the setup aspect is a red herring. Anyway, setup on a banjolele is subject to change, given the floating bridge and varying head tension. A banjolele player better know how to make most adjustments himself--it's not quite the same situation as with normal ukes.

As for Musician's Friend, I may not like their new owner, but I've had no problems buying from them, and when they offer great deals like this, I don't turn up my nose. Similarly, I've gotten great deals on great little ukes from Butler and Amazon, and only had to shell out a modest amount to get them set up right (if I didn't do the work myself).

Shouldn't post here? If someone else hadn't posted similar heads-up when HMS was running specials on Ponos, I'd have had to pay an extra $80 each for two of mine. Another such heads-up let me snag two flamed maple Islanders from Amazon for just $90 each (regularly $250-280). I'm not a commercial concern or paid shill, so kindly STFU.

Since people are weighing in more with personal prejudices rather than with substantive comment about this banjolele or the vendor, I'm closing this thread.

Some counter-balance:

Given the massive street price differential, I doubt the Firefly is a near equivalent. I find Flukes and Fleas seriously over-hyped, given their tone and crappy tuners and fretboard; I wouldn't expect the Firefly to be some curious exception (though at least it has metal frets).

You could easily get a good local setup for a fraction of what you'd save on this offer--and the setup wouldn't get thrown off in shipping--so the setup aspect is a red herring. Anyway, setup on a banjolele is subject to change, given the floating bridge and varying head tension. A banjolele player better know how to make most adjustments himself--it's not quite the same situation as with normal ukes.

As for Musician's Friend, I may not like their new owner, but I've had no problems buying from them, and when they offer great deals like this, I don't turn up my nose. Similarly, I've gotten great deals on great little ukes from Butler and Amazon, and only had to shell out a modest amount to get them set up right (if I didn't do the work myself).

Shouldn't post here? If someone else hadn't posted similar heads-up when HMS was running specials on Ponos, I'd have had to pay an extra $80 each for two of mine. Another such heads-up let me snag two flamed maple Islanders from Amazon for just $90 each (regularly $250-280). I'm not a commercial concern or paid shill, so kindly STFU.

Despite your indignation, the point about you posting in the wrong forum is correct.

Please familiarise yourself with the UU rules about the Marketplace. While you're at it, I recommend that you also take note of the ones about being cool, not being insulting and the one about not being a jerk.

In fact, take a couple of days off and read the rules at your leisure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom