movie

Okay here goes...

So, taking the usual suspects as a given - The Exorcist, The Shining, Alien, The Thing, Dawn of the Dead etc. etc.

Asia: J-horror is hugely over-rated IMHO. My take is that it was hyped up as the next big thing and then a bunch of critics leapt feverishly onto the bandwagon. However... The original Ringu is worth a look and is infinitely better than the US remake (ignore anyone who tries to tell you different :p). also, check out I Saw the Devil, from Korea.

The Americas: del Toro's Cronos is possibly the best vampire movie ever made.

Europe: Let the Right One In is possibly the best vampire movie ever made.

Australia: The Loved Ones is good. The Babadook is creepy as hell.

Other stuff...

Early German cinema: Both Nosferatu and The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari are pretty essential viewing for horror aficionados.

Overlooked gems: Philip Kaufman's 1978 remake of Invasion of The Body Snatchers is awesome. Polanski's The Tenant is one of the most disturbing films I have ever seen (I mean that in a good way).

Polanski's Repulsion had a great effect on me, but I last saw it in the mid sixties. I'm not sure what effect it would have if I saw it today.

Mama and Insidious series are good. You should check them out. There are quite a few horror scenes in these movies that could surprise you.

Now it is enough to watch the news - there is a continuous horror movie.

I am looking for some cool new horror movies. Any recommendations, guys? I have got a fire stick, installed Kodi on it plus set up the VPN using the guide from https://www.firesticktricks.com/install-best-vpn-firestick.html so now I can watch any movies and tv shows online. But it is so hard to choose something good now :D I need you help with it!

Last edited:
I love horror movies because I find many of them to be very funny. Of course, some are scary, but many are badly-done. I've watched just about all of them on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Someone mentioned the Shining. I thought the TV version was much better than the movie version. I'm, looking forward to seeing what you list as good ones - some I probably missed.

The trouble with Netflix is that they don't offer many of the "Good" movies. Instead, they're raising their price to offer us more homemade junk.

Last edited:
Don't rule out horror films from Malaysia, India, China, and Indonesia. They can be scary (or funny), but you also get to see how people live in other parts of the world, and you get to see what they think is scary. In Indonesia (I think) "the third eye" is what we would call intuition. People in Asian countries tend to call older people aunt and uncle.

My favorite horror movie is The Orphanage.

A spanish movie, and a bit of a master piece imo.
It is creepy scary in an underplayed down to earth way.
Actually the plots seems to make perfect sense when it is all over.

The above sounds like it doesnt have paranormal stuff, but it does. Just in the right doses. Not tonnes og cgi monsters, just creepy ghost stories.

Last edited:
world's best horror movies?

I've watched just about all of them on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Some are scary, and many are funny. The cabin in the woods" them is one of my favorites. Put a bunch of young people in a secluded cabin, and let the killing begin. Guaranteed to generate some laughs.

I will recommend you take a look at foreign horror movies - Indonesia, China, India, etc. You get to see different traditions, believes, and what they consider scary. People in Asian countries tend to call their elders aunt and uncle. They use "third eye" for what we would call intuition. I also find it fascinating the way they will throw in sentences in English for no apparent reason.

My favorite horror movie is The Orphanage.

A spanish movie, and a bit of a master piece imo.
It is creepy scary in an underplayed down to earth way.
Actually the plots seems to make perfect sense when it is all over.

The above sounds like it doesnt have paranormal stuff, but it does. Just in the right doses.

I might have seen that. If not, I'll try to find it.

Two very good ones: The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor. One is set in England, and one in American with many of the same cast members. Some English and American actors swap accents between the movies. From what I recall, I preferred "Bly." I think it's at the end of Hill House that you fully understand what was going on - rather involved. I watched one after the other, so they are jumbled in my mind.

Both are very good - no, make that Excellent!

Rosemary's Baby.

And I don't know why I went to see it, but Nightmare on Elm Street gave me chills... As much for the reason Freddie existed, as for what he had done to get there, and how he was in the dream world....

But the end of the film? I think I either yelled or screamed, the visual is still with me, and I decided to never see the film again, or any of the sequels.

I generally don't see slasher films, or films with violence; I've seen too much of that stuff in real life.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom