Moore Bettah book now available to buy online

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
Since we sold out of our initial printing of the book I wrote about Moore Bettah ukuleles, it is now available for purchase online. Because it is not a bulk print rate, it is $6 more now - but their shipping is cheaper so it ends up about the same. I am sorry it costs so much but it does cost almost $100 to print each copy. Though the book is a nice large landscape size, filled with color photos, and 82 pages long. You can see the first 15 pages of the book if you click on the preview.

For those of you that bought the book and enjoyed it, I would love it if you could place a comment. For those of you that didn't enjoy it, pretend you never saw this link! Hahaha. :)

Thanks as always to Chuck for the inspiration.

http://www.blurb.com/b/6910527-building-and-owning-a-bettah-ukulele

Hello!

First post, I actually opened an account today to give my feedback :)

I find Chuck Moore's work absolutely fascinating, for the unparalleled quality of his ukes of course, but I also appreciate the building approach and state of mind behind each of his creations.
If like me you've been dreaming about his ukes, this beautiful book is the cheapest way to feed your fantasy :)
It's extremely interesting, and very well documented!

I particularly liked the first chapter "Building a Moore Bettah". You get a guided tour of the workshop, with detailed explanations of the different steps of the building process commented by Chuck. Fascinating, I just couldn't stop reading!

There is a downside unfortunately. If you were dreaming of playing a Moore Bettah before reading this book, you'll probably get completely obsessed afterwards!
And then you'll end up like me, reading for the 3rd time a book you received 3 days before :)

Staci, thank you so much for the amazing work you've done, and your kindness when I contacted you!

Congrats from Norway, I know this book will be a success!

That is so sweet of you to write all of that. I am so honored and humbled by your words. Thank you. For those of you that bought it on the Blurb website, there is no space for reviews but if you would not mind leaving a comment I would greatly appreciate it. Unless you didn't like it, then forget you saw this! ;)

I also got some more good news yesterday, the publisher of Ukulele Magazine said they will be publishing an excerpt of the book (from Part Three about Wailele the UGH exhibition ukulele) in the Fall 2016 issue.

I am head deep in my second book now (about KoAloha Ukuleles) so kind reviews like yours keep me pressing on.

Last edited:
Hi Staci,

didn't discover your book on Moore Bettah until now. Looks real promising – would already have ordered it in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive. (Not your fault – I know how much it costs to print such small editions.) I will still have to save some money, I'm afraid, but probably buy it in the near future.

One short question – is the Moore Bettah shown in the video below also in the book? My very favorite one, would kill to own it ... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71_dfFiWgEs

Thanks for your efforts and keep up the great work! Also looking forward to the KoAloha book!

Hi Staci,

didn't discover your book on Moore Bettah until now. Looks real promising – would already have ordered it in a heartbeat if it wasn't so expensive. (Not your fault – I know how much it costs to print such small editions.) I will still have to save some money, I'm afraid, but probably buy it in the near future.

One short question – is the Moore Bettah shown in the video below also in the book? My very favorite one, would kill to own it ... ;)

Thanks for your efforts and keep up the great work! Also looking forward to the KoAloha book!

Staci's book is the next best thing to owning a MBU.....it is my favorite book....:)
nice to see pictures of the owners and their ukes.....

the Tiki MB is in the book and it was sent to Thailand I think.....if you want to get a MB save your money and watch for the auctions on HMS site..or do your best to keep in contact with Chuck directly....he really likes to know the people he builds for.....IMO

Thanks Staci for the hard work on this book...see you soon...:)

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer, hawaii50, really appreciated. I always have a look at the Moore Bettah auctions on Hawaiian Music Supply these days – however, I'll probably never be able to justify $12.000 (like the one who was just sold) considering my medicore playing skills. Would be an insult for such an instrument ... :)

As mentioned, the Skull Island MB is my very favorite design I have seen so far by Chuck (and his other work is always amazing, too.) If I hadn't missed the Tiki Island auction on HMS (I only recently discovered those auctions), I probably would have gone nuts and really place an offer. Such pure beauty, it's simply incredible.

Thanks again for your reply, will buy Staci's book for sure!

Last edited:
however, I'll probably never be able to justify $12.000 (like the one who was just sold) considering my medicore playing skills. Would be an insult for such an instrument ... :)

Ahhhh....don't let *that* stop you! An instrument with the joy that Chuck builds into each of his creations is worth more than the funds involved even when you're *less* than a "mediocre" player. When I play my MBU instruments, it's totally a case of "no shame," all smiles. I speak from real-world experience...

Hi Staci,

Hi! I know I feel terrible that it is so expensive. I think on the KoAloha, we will definitely be doing a version like this - hardcover collector edition. But I am thinking about making a softcover as well so it has a more affordable option.

As for the tiki uke, I wouldn't say it is featured but it does appear a couple of times. An embarassment of riches with 600 gorgeous ukes to choose from and only 82 pages to work with. :)

image.jpg
image.jpg

Staci's book is the next best thing to owning a MBU.....it is my favorite book....:)
nice to see pictures of the owners and their ukes.....

the Tiki MB is in the book and it was sent to Thailand I think.....if you want to get a MB save your money and watch for the auctions on HMS site..or do your best to keep in contact with Chuck directly....he really likes to know the people he builds for.....IMO

Thanks Staci for the hard work on this book...see you soon...:)

Awww thanks Len, you are so sweet. So glad you like it. :)

@Staci: Thanks for the images. A cheap and a collector's version of the upcoming KoAloha book definitely would be a great idea. As to your Moore Bettah book, I think I'll buy it soon. Great work, thanks again!

@Tonya: I'll try my best to keep your encouragement in mind when I am tempted the next time to buy a MB ... :)

EDIT: Didn't take too long to think again about getting the book – just placed my order! Looking forward to get it!

Last edited:
@Staci: Thanks for the images. A cheap and a collector's version of the upcoming KoAloha book definitely would be a great idea. As to your Moore Bettah book, I think I'll buy it soon. Great work, thanks again!

@Tonya: I'll try my best to keep your encouragement in mind when I am tempted the next time to buy a MB ... :)

EDIT: Didn't take too long to think again about getting the book – just placed my order! Looking forward to get it!

Ha, thanks so much for deciding to get it. :)

Yeah, with Chuckʻs work, it is so much about the photographs and beauty of those ukes that he wanted to keep it that style book and I agreed with him. The KoAloha one still has some terrific photos but I know they are a bit more mass market and so I want to try (if I can) to do two versions. I havenʻt made one of the softcover portrait sized before though so Iʻm not sure how it will work but Pops liked the idea of two (though he REALLY loves the Moore Bettah book style). I do too - I just hope to make a complimentary version that is not so dad blamed expensive next time as well.

I'm really looking forward to your new KoAloha book – unfortunately not a proud owner of a Moore Bettah ukulele (yet), but at least of a KoAloha KSM-T2 (and a nice little Opio Soprano).

I'll probably like the MB book that much that I'll end up ordering the upcoming KoAloha one in the expensive coffee table version, too, even if there's a cheaper softcover version this time ... :)

Last edited:
The book is beautiful. My copy was waiting on me when I returned from traveling, but the box was crushed - complete with notation about the damaged box. Oh the book was fine, folded inside a piece of bubble wrap, but such a thin book in a large box is not well protected.

The book is beautiful. My copy was waiting on me when I returned from traveling, but the box was crushed - complete with notation about the damaged box. Oh the book was fine, folded inside a piece of bubble wrap, but such a thin book in a large box is not well protected.

Glad it was okay. FYI those were the ones that Chuck and I packaged. All orders now come direct from the publisher in more protective packaging. Thanks for the comment and glad you liked the book.

@wickedwahine11: Just discovered through Facebook that your new KoAloha book is out now. Love the Moore Bettah one and ordered the KoAloha book immediately, too – as the hardcover edition which really is painfully expensive (especially with postage/taxes to Germany), but will surely be worth it like the Moore Bettah book was. The preview on Blurb already looks stunning. Excited to get it!

Last edited:
@wickedwahine11: Just discovered through Facebook that your new KoAloha book is out now. Love the Moore Bettah one and ordered the KoAloha book immediately, too – as the hardcover edition which really is painfully expensive (especially with postage/taxes to Germany), but will surely be worth it like the Moore Bettah book was. The preview on Blurb already looks stunning. Excited to get it!

Thanks so much! So sorry it is so expensive, that is why I did the softcover too, but I appreciate you buying it.

Top Bottom