New Ukulele - Tenor Size

cerbero

Reaction score
Hello Ukulele Friends! :)

Before I start asking stuff, I would like to apologize for my english, since it isn't my main language and I usually don't speak or write in it.

About a year ago, someone offered me a cheap Stagg Ukulele and my journey into the wonderful world of Ukulele started...
Not short after, I've bought a Ibanez UEW20SG (if I'm not wrong).

Never played much but I really enjoy the instrument and I want to start playing more! :)

So, I'm thinking on getting a new Uke!
I'm looking for a tenor size Uke but I dont' know which one should I get...

Currently I have two in mind:

- Lanikai LUTU-21T
- Fender Hau'oli

With all that information, I would like to hear your opinions.
Which one should I get?
Do you recommend others?

My current budget is around 150€.

Thanks for all your time! :)

I would get either a Martin T1K or a Mainland if it were me. Wasn't sure what the break down in your currency used versus US currency.

I would get either a Martin T1K or a Mainland if it were me. Wasn't sure what the break down in your currency used versus US currency.

The currency doesn't really matter that much in Europe.
Usually, they "convert" like 1 dollar = 1 euro...
We end up paying much more... :/

Just my opinion but koa pili koko Ukes are some of the best solid wood ukuleles for the price. They sound like they cost 2-3x their price. I'm not familiar with the ones you listed so I can't really comment on those.

Just my opinion but koa pili koko Ukes are some of the best solid wood ukuleles for the price. They sound like they cost 2-3x their price. I'm not familiar with the ones you listed so I can't really comment on those.

Another vote for KPK ukes. I love my solid acacia soprano. Amazing value for the money.

Welcome cerbero! Your written English is very good, thank you.

You may also want to consider Tenor models from Kala and Ohana. Both companies make affordable, good quality ukuleles. It would be better to get one with a solid wood top, rather than a laminated top, because a solid top will generally sound better.

If you order from a reputable ukulele seller like Mim's Ukes or Uke Republic, you will be assured of getting an instrument that will be properly set up to play and sound good, as well.

Happy hunting and happy strumming! :cool:

Where I live , it's a bit tricky to find a wide variety of ukes.
The local stores only have a few models, from a small list of brands.

Online, the best option is Thomann.
Could you guys give a look on Thomann.de and point me a few good ukes?

Well you gotta ask yourself, why buy another cheap ukulele?

Your Ibanez is a concert size. A Tenor is the same instrument, just slightly bigger.
At that price range, it won't be much difference nor an improvement.

My advice is save up a bit more and increase your budget for a higher quality instrument.

They will not check what they sell you. What you want isn't a large selection (I love shopping at Thomann, but not for ukuleles), but a vendor that QAs and sets up the instruments. In Europe, you could look at Guido Link's www.ukuMele.de (very small selection, but he'll not sell you crap and he sets up everything - he'll also keep providing you with support) in Germany and Southern Ukulele Store at www.southernukulelestore.co.uk in the UK.

I think the OP may want to strum the concert & fingerpick the tenor, (low G).

You can put low-G on a concert or even a soprano.

Arguably, some would say that a concert is better for fingerpicking due to a more relaxed tension, and tenors are better for strumming as the strings are tighter.
You can strum and fingerpick on any sized uke. It makes no sense to have one ukulele solely for strumming and another solely for fingerpicking.

But my point is, a concert uke and a tenor uke aren't really discrete instruments.
One is a slighly larger ukulele than the other. At that low price range, you're not really getting anything noticeably better or different.

Last edited:
But my point is, a concert uke and a tenor uke aren't really discrete instruments. One is a slighly larger ukulele than the other. At that low price range, you're not really getting anything noticeably better or different.

Well, I'd argue that no two ukuleles are the same, not in how they feel and not in how they sound. To me, the differences in both feel and sound of a tenor and a concert are significant to a point where they do seem like different instruments. It's not the same experience at all. You can also do stretches on the concert scale that you can't pull off on the tenor (or at least you're more likely to be able to).

I do agree that it may be more sensible to save up for a more substantial upgrade down the road instead of a side-grade now, provided you're sure about your preferred size.

Obviously they won't be exactly identical, but I wouldnt go as far to say tenors and concerts feel like different instruments.

In the world of guitars, there are big ones and smaller ones. It's no big deal.

Once you reach a certain level of playing, the definition of "concert" and "tenor" becomes a blur. Theyre just both ukuleles, tuned the same, sounding similar... one is a few inches longer and wider

Throw another log on the fire....
You might consider Caramel, Kmise or Aiersi (Chinese made all) solid mahogany, or solid spruce top, solid mahogany top, pretty sure they are all under $100 or there abouts from ebay.

Before I get poo pooed on this idea, I need to say that I have an Aiersi solid Spruce top concert and it is a well made uke, I did buy it from a dealer who set it up and it is a joy, loud and bright as a spruce top should be with great build quality. Caramel make probably the cheapest solid body ukes out there and I can vouch for the cheaper baseline lam soprano as being very nice as well as the solid acacia top sopranino. The soprano was good out of the box, no setup required... perhaps a little lower action but yeah no big deal. The sopranino was strung with the wrong kind of strings and needed a tweak at both the nut and the saddle end around the action.

I purchased a Kmise lam mahogany tenor on a whim (late night and 420 affected), it is a very nicely made uke and quite attractive to look at. Played fine out of the box, sounded like a mahogany uke with plenty of volume. I reckon the Kmise solid Mahogany would be a cheeky good buy too. All the above are ridiculously affordable and certainly prettier and better appointed than the Makala laminated options being offered. There is nothing wrong with Makala, my first uke was a tenor Makala that was set up right by Music Guy Mike (RIP), I still have it and play it all the time. The Caramel, Kmise and Aiersi ukes are much prettier, better appointed re the tuners nut and saddle etc. Set up right I think you would not be disappointed and certainly not poor from buying a solid wood offering from any of these manufacturers. Ebay or online.

Last edited:
Hi Cerbero,
I recently bought a Caramel acoustic/electric tenor Uke. It's mahogany with butterfly design in place of sound hole.
I haven't used it with amp yet, acoustic serves my purposes for general use.......but I will plug it and try it soon.
So far, I love it. The sound so smooth and well-rounded. It arrived with Aquila Super Nylgut strings. The inbuilt tuner couldn't be easier to use.
I would recommend Caramel to anyone. I'll be buying from them again without hesitation.
The only drawback, was the waiting time. It took ten days from placing order, to taking delivery of it direct from China........but the payoff, is the pay off; it cost only £39, (approx $60).
Check them out on Amazon.

Where I live , it's a bit tricky to find a wide variety of ukes.
The local stores only have a few models, from a small list of brands.

Could you guys give a look on Thomann.de and point me a few good ukes?

Ouch! The Thomann prices are really high. Buy directly from a US seller and the extra international shipping and duties don't look like they'll be any more. Also you'll get a much better selection and a professional setup which really helps. I'd go with a Kala or a Pono from www.theukulelesite.com or mimsukes.com both of which include a free setup. Regarding which uke just check the reviews and sound samples.

Top Bottom