Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Please convince me against picking up classical guitar at this stage

I started at aged 12 to play guitar - it was what is now called classical but then it was simply affordable. It was for playing chords and singing - those days it was Buddy Holly etc., and we knew no better. Eventually I graduated to a dreadnought and steel strings. I still keep a couple of classical guitars around - never got to play classical music but as a parlor guitar for singalongs they are terrific. I now play mostly ukulele (and banjo) and love its size, portability and happy sound. For we strummers the nylon strung guitar is a joy.

A note of caution - there variety of neck shapes/profiles out there mean that you have to choose carefully.

In the for what it's worth arena - I play a lot in South America with friends and they all strum classical guitars.
    Martin c. 1934
    Martin OXK
    Kamaka pineapple gold label - 1950s
    Mele pineapple - koa and mahogany - modern
    Kamaka tenor - 2002
    Mele, Braddah tenor 1990s
    Slingerland banjolele Maybell - 1920s

It is interesting how many people who commented on this thread when it first came out are no where to be seen now. I wonder if they just got tired of posting but are still here, or if they moved on? Anyway, I don't want to play classical guitar. I tried it for a month before I discovered the ukulele, and I didn't think it was fun. However, over the last several years I have become interested in bluegrass and I have been thinking about taking up the guitar so that I can play guitar with bluegrass players. Now before anyone posts links to bluegrass books for ukulele, that's fine if you are entertaining yourself, but when it comes to actually playing bluegrass with other bluegrass players, there isn't really a ukulele part. So my wife has a guitar in the basement that no one has played for years, except for my brief classical guitar attempt, and I'm trying to decide if it is worth the time that it would take out of my ukulele playing to learn to play it.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    Check out the G&B Detective Series by yours truly.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...ords=r.l.+link

I still think that four strings are more than enough, so I won't be trying to play any guitars any time soon.

(If I really wanted to have a ginormous uke, I'd maybe get a tenor guitar. )

How much do you want to play bluegrass, I reckon that will be the deciding factor.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.
    Formerly known as uke1950.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    I still think that four strings are more than enough, so I won't be trying to play any guitars any time soon.

(If I really wanted to have a ginormous uke, I'd maybe get a tenor guitar. )

How much do you want to play bluegrass, I reckon that will be the deciding factor.
    I have a lot of things going on in my life right now, and I don't want to abandon my ukulele playing for playing bluegrass, so you are right, that is the deciding factor. There is a lot of bluegrass and bluegrass players around here though, and not so much for ukulele players. I don't really like playing by myself all the time. So that is probably what is the draw with bluegrass. But I don't know if I want to put the effort into it or not.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.
    Check out the G&B Detective Series by yours truly.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...ords=r.l.+link

Thread Information