Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can sing really well but while playing lyrics disappear

Default I can sing really well but while playing lyrics disappear

Hey everyone,

I've always been a really good singer. I've gone on stage and sang with bands but two years ago I decided I wanted to sing and play an instrument. Ukulele happened and I have 4 songs I can say I can sing and play but I'm having a problem trying to do both. Does this get easier or change with time? I know some of the lyrics while playing the uke and then poof I blank.. Is it that I'm thinking of the next chord to play at the same time and mixing up the signal for lyrics and Chord names?

Ideas or suggestions anyone have to get past this wall so I can start really cranking on my song list that I can do both sing and play.

I really want to be able to do both better. Because separate I can do both very well.. :/
    Kala Concert Exotic Series - Blue - Low G-CEA
    Fanner Electric custom Ukutele - Low G-CEA
    Oscar Schmidt Spalted Mango Tenor - Wound LowG-woundC-EA
    Pono Baritone Nui BN-1 - DGBE
    Pono Octave Nui - 8-Steel String - dDgGbbee

I'm pretty Ukecited to be here!

Quote Originally Posted by Braga2966 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've always been a really good singer. I've gone on stage and sang with bands but two years ago I decided I wanted to sing and play an instrument. Ukulele happened and I have 4 songs I can say I can sing and play but I'm having a problem trying to do both. Does this get easier or change with time? I know some of the lyrics while playing the uke and then poof I blank.. Is it that I'm thinking of the next chord to play at the same time and mixing up the signal for lyrics and Chord names

Ideas or suggestions anyone have to get past this wall so I can start really cranking on my song list that I can do both sing and play.

I really want to be able to do both better. Because separate I can do both very well.. :/
    You got it! Once the "muscle memory" has you going to the correct chording without planning, the problem shrinks. It's no different than driving a car (esoecially in reverse) or any other skill. Also, it may help initially practicing stanzas rather than whole songs. It all does link together - practice, practice, practice....
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T), Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C)
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T), Lanikai LB6-S (S)
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Steve's correct, I think. I have your same problem, but I also have trouble memorizing stuff. So, I can usually remember the melody, and, on a good, lucky day, I can remember where to chord and how to strum. Then the rest becomes some of the correct words and some la di da di dahs. I whistle a lot also.

More practice would probably help me too, but I'm busy with other stuff. Practice, practice, practice!
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Eat, drink and make merry for tomorrow you’ll be too old.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

When it's open mic time at my uke club, I usually tell them I can either remember the lyrics or the chords, but not both at the same time. The primary reason is that I can't remember the lyrics very well and I'm using the part of my brain that already knows the chords to try and do both. It begins when one starts playing and ends when one practices the song as much as is necessary....in my case, it takes my ageing brain longer to "get it."

Funny, I can remember songs we sang in high school Boy's Glee, but I can't remember the words to a tune I worked on Tuesday.

Old Age would be the pits if there wasn't beer!
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Eat, drink and make merry for tomorrow you’ll be too old.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Oh yeah, I know the feeling all too well. There is something about uke stuff that comes with a built in dependency on pieces of paper. I can sing and play a song by myself and improvise around the chords and sometimes the words but, come the weekly group sessions, I find my eyes fixed on the paper, even tunes I know well, and when I look away I fumble. After years of playing 5string and picking bluegrass, without a piece of music in sight, I am dependant on that paper and I do not like it.

This is a tricky thing to learn. It is an entirely new cognitive skill, requiring your brain to do two things at once. It takes practice. But practicing failure only teaches you how to fail. What you need to do is practice playing and singing successfully at whatever level you can handle. When you can't walk yet, you crawl.

Play some really, really easy songs. Easy to the point that you'd be embarrassed to play them in public. Two or three chords, lyrics you memorized back in grade school. Can you get through "Happy Birthday to You" without paper? If necessary, scale it back to one chord and one downstrum per measure and sing "Row, row, row your boat." The point is to find something you can sing and play at the same time. Practice until it's easy, however long that takes. With practice you'll develop your skills enough to try progressively more difficult songs.

Can you count OUT LOUD 1-2-3-4 when you strum in time?

If so, then you can learn to strum and sing at the same time.

Like everything else it's a matter of how bad you want it and how much time you put in to practice, despite any and all frustrations a long the way.

Remember:
    'Winners never quit, and Quitters never win'
    (via BamBam from The Flintstones)
    Last edited by Booli; 04-02-2016 at 04:42 AM.
    Just the FAQs _____Less > more._____Serenity now, insanity later._____Live Long and Prosper.

Thank you everyone for your input, I was out of town for a week so I am just getting to the posts before I left.

I am going to get a chance over the next few days with my Uke so I will look over everything you guys have recommended and see what works best in getting past this issue for me with playing and singing.

I will be back in a bit with any questions I may have but thank you so much for taking the time to reply and help me out here it means a lot
    Kala Concert Exotic Series - Blue - Low G-CEA
    Fanner Electric custom Ukutele - Low G-CEA
    Oscar Schmidt Spalted Mango Tenor - Wound LowG-woundC-EA
    Pono Baritone Nui BN-1 - DGBE
    Pono Octave Nui - 8-Steel String - dDgGbbee

I'm pretty Ukecited to be here!

I'm getting to a point now where I'm forgetting the songs that I memorized earlier on. It seems to me that I can keep about fifteen to twenty songs in my brain. Anyway, I was looking at a list of songs that I could play and sing from memory that I made last summer, and most of them I've forgotten. But I guess the upside is that I still know as many songs from memory, they are just different songs.

But I'm getting to a point where I am starting to recognize chord progressions. I've been studying them a lot in the past three or four months. I'll actually be trying to learn a song, and all of a sudden it will come to me that the chord progression in the song that I'm trying to learn is the same as some song that I already have memorized. That helps a lot. So now, if I'm looking at a song and I want to memorize it, I start breaking down the chord progressions right off the bat to see if it is something that I am already doing. It is interesting that I can be struggling with a song, then all of a sudden realize that I already know how to play it. A light comes on and almost in that moment, I go from struggling with it to playing it without thought. But the more I do that, the better I get at recognizing them. Just yesterday I was playing "Hey Good Lookin'" for the thousandth time with the music in front of me, and I was thinking that I should just be able to play that from memory and I wondered why I couldn't. But then I actually took a look at it and I saw that the verses were a Morris progression, or a Salty Dog progression, and ten minutes later I had it down. Funny how the brain works.

The point is, once I can play the chords without thinking, which is what studying chord progressions make easier, I can concentrate on lyrics, and once I have the lyrics down, I can work on spicing things up a little with some melody thrown in for flavor. For me it is a three step process.
    Last edited by Rllink; 04-23-2016 at 06:06 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...rds=R.+L.+Link

Thread Information