Reaction score
SOLD PENDING FUNDS

For Sale: Moore Bettah Tenor Ukulele #1316

Built in mid-2013
Size: Tenor with Side Sound Port
Wood: 5A Fiddleback Koa
Pickup: Misi
Tuners: Pegheds 1:4
Condition: Excellent played condition with case. [deleted mention of slight strum marks - I cleaned it off and there are no marks]

The inlay is inspired by Alphonse Mucha’s “Dance” and is comprised of chrysacola, amboyna burl and scrimshawed mastodon ivory. The detail is breathtaking and the execution is 100% perfection.

This ukulele is pictured in Staci Blevin’s recently released book “Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles”. I will include my personal copy that is signed by Chuck Moore with the sale.

Why I am selling and the price: Without getting into too much detail, this was purchased as a gift for a relationship that has come to an end. As this ukulele had immense sentimental value to me, I went through great pain and expense to retain it during the divorce. Time has passed and I find myself feeling guilty that it is no longer being played - it belongs in the hands of someone who would not only appreciate its beauty but will actively play it.

I’ve had a hard time coming up with the price. There is the price that I originally paid for it, plus the value of the items that I gave up to keep it. There is the rising market price of Chuck’s work coupled with the sheer difficulty to find a Moore Bettah on the market, especially one with extensive inlay work.

I am going to price it at $8750 shipped, which, crazy as it sounds, is at a net loss to me and probably below market value. I understand that some may take offense at the price, but given the total picture I feel that is fair. I accept payment via Paypal, wire, or bank cashier’s check and will ship it carefully packed and insured for the value. I am also willing to accept cash in-person (Austin, TX) and avoid the shipping.

I have added a link at the bottom to an album with lots of pictures, both of the finished uke and from the build. If you would like any more detailed photos, please contact me directly.

Pictures of the finished ukulele:

yds4ONp.jpg

2wQBLbN.jpg

8qqSbpw.jpg

qkwFGfC.jpg

Album of the build process and more finished pics

Last edited:
Best of luck to you. I'm sorry to hear about your divorce and hope everything is ok. All the best

First post after 4.5 years? Hmm. OK. Anyone who's been around UU that long should know that it is customary to include a picture with your name, today's date, and the uke. Video sound sample would be appreciated as well. I'm not in the market for any MB uke, but I can imagine that anyone who is would be highly skeptical thus far. If I'm jumping to conclusions, my apologies.

First post after 4.5 years? Hmm. OK. Anyone who's been around UU that long should know that it is customary to include a picture with your name, today's date, and the uke. Video sound sample would be appreciated as well. I'm not in the market for any MB uke, but I can imagine that anyone who is would be highly skeptical thus far. If I'm jumping to conclusions, my apologies.

That is totally fair. I signed up a long time ago to mostly get an understanding of who made what so I could find a builder for the uke. I understand how the lack of posts could lead to suspicion. I'll post a picture with today's date, my handle and the uke later on tonight when I get home from work. I'll also tune up the uke and post a video of me strumming the 2 chords I know.

That is totally fair. I signed up a long time ago to mostly get an understanding of who made what so I could find a builder for the uke. I understand how the lack of posts could lead to suspicion. I'll post a picture with today's date, my handle and the uke later on tonight when I get home from work. I'll also tune up the uke and post a video of me strumming the 2 chords I know.

All of us really want the best outcome, thanks for your understanding and best of luck with the sale of your MB. it is beautiful.

Best of luck with the sale, linenoise. As someone that has gone through a difficult divorce, I get it. As a matter of fact, my ability to get though my divorce ended up being my "theme" for the uke that I had Chuck build for me.

The price that you are asking is your business alone, and nobody else but you can truly understand the total costs associated with that uke through divorce. And I for one think that it is totally fair, and it will certainly sell at that price. And someone will be very, very happy with their new MB. And you will be able to move on with your life. :)

Oh my its a beautiful Mb, one of the best ones with mastadon ivory..a show uke catagory for sure, so sorry to hear of your break up, i wish the best for the both of you... was this her ukulele? Dang

As requested, here is a photo of the ukulele with my name and today's date as well as a video to try and capture the sound. Please forgive my inability to play more than 2 chords.

j9fbg09.jpg

Attachments

• File Apr 04, 9 48 04 PM.jpg
    File Apr 04, 9 48 04 PM.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
At the request of one of the interested parties, I took more pictures of the uke. I'm happy to say that the "strum marks" that I previously mentioned are not there. The uke looks brand new though probably could use a quick wipe with a polishing cloth

Link to Album with new pictures

Provenance proven, thanks! What a rare uke, good luck with the sale! This is a dream uke, for sure!

This one is a beauty. One of my favorites. If I didn't already have mine, I would have moved heaven and earth to have been all over this. Someone will be very happy to get it.

Here's a thought. If it doesn't get snapped up soon, you could approach Andrew at HMS about auctioning the uke. The last couple seem to have gone well and if you put a reserve price on it, I don't see how you could lose. Good luck.

That's an excellent idea Jim. I would even bet that Andrew could have Chuck give it a "once over" just to certify that it is 100%. I would imagine that would be worth something to a prospective bidder. Not that I know much about those ukes, just my .02:)

It is a beautiful uke, I wish I had the means to buy such a work of art. Best of luck on the sale!

Very tempted, and only 150 miles away! Got to go count my change and see how much I have.

An absolutely stunning instrument. I believe the price is more than fair, particularly for an MBU. I'm sorry for the circumstances that force this sale...... but sometimes letting go can be the best healer. Best to you, and good luck with the sale.

It really is a stunning ukulele. This was one of the first MBs I ever saw, and I was in awe of the blue shades created by the different stone types in the inlay. I'm very sorry for the circumstances under which you are selling it. I'm sure it will sell pretty quickly. Best wishes. :)

Top Bottom