Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News from Pono: Octave Mandolins!

Default News from Pono: Octave Mandolins!

I can't tell you how excited I am about this possibility!

- FiL

Asst. Organizer, New Jersey Uke Fest

That sounds sweet!
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana PCK-25G pineapple mahogany concert Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea (!!!) Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

HMS just take my money now!
    Koaloha Tenor 2016
    Hoffman ML ebony/red spruce tenor
    Mya-Moe redwood/walnut tenor
    Stansell Myrtle and POC flamenco baritone
    Hoffmann A style cedar maple tenor

Sounds great but I am not interested, personally. I am also of the opinion that not every stringed instrument needs a ukulele version.
    Laura

Haʻina ʻia mai ana ka puana

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer75 View Post
    Sounds great but I am not interested, personally. I am also of the opinion that not every stringed instrument needs a ukulele version.
    Different strokes, and all. These aren't designed to be a ukulele version of anything (they are meant to be tuned GDAE or GDAD) unless you chose to tune it that way, which in fact I would. I play a long-scale mandola tuned F-Bb-D-G (capo 2 for GCEA) because I am invested in ukulele chord shapes, but I like the sound of steel strings. Price-wise, there is a pretty big gap in the mandola/octave mandolin market between the $600-700 Chinese instruments from the likes of GoldTone and Trinity College and the $1500-3000 handmade instruments. I'm hoping that these instruments fall somewhere in between.

- FiL

Asst. Organizer, New Jersey Uke Fest

Quote Originally Posted by FiL View Post
    Different strokes, and all. These aren't designed to be a ukulele version of anything (they are meant to be tuned GDAE or GDAD) unless you chose to tune it that way, which in fact I would. I play a long-scale mandola tuned F-Bb-D-G (capo 2 for GCEA) because I am invested in ukulele chord shapes, but I like the sound of steel strings. Price-wise, there is a pretty big gap in the mandola/octave mandolin market between the $600-700 Chinese instruments from the likes of GoldTone and Trinity College and the $1500-3000 handmade instruments. I'm hoping that these instruments fall somewhere in between.

- FiL
    Agreed, completely. These are not ukuleles at all, and there is a grand tradition of flat top octave mandolins. These look like a worthwhile addition and I am very intrigued. I, too, hope the goal is to have an affordable instrument.
    Last edited by RichM; 04-10-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Kind of looks like an 8 string version of their new Big Bari also being introduced. It sounds HUGE!
    Last edited by PhilUSAFRet; 04-11-2016 at 01:46 AM.

That was purty!
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer75 View Post
    On the other hand, maybe they do, LOL

Hopefully the nut is WIDER than most mandos or mandolas, so as to help us UKE player fit our elephant-toe sized fingers on the strings.

I can't play a banjo, mando or tenor guitar comfortably because someone with spider fingers decided upon a 1.25" nut width and there's just zero chance of me being able to fret clean chords on that...

Nut needs to be AT LEAST 1.5" or I'm out...

Thread Information