Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News from Pono: Octave Mandolins!

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Hopefully the nut is WIDER than most mandos or mandolas, so as to help us UKE player fit our elephant-toe sized fingers on the strings.

I can't play a banjo, mando or tenor guitar comfortably because someone with spider fingers decided upon a 1.25" nut width and there's just zero chance of me being able to fret clean chords on that...

Nut needs to be AT LEAST 1.5" or I'm out...
    I asked in the YouTube comments what the nut width was but they never replied. I could handle a narrower nut width, but definitely not the standard mando-family nut width. I'd be happy with 1.375", though.

- FiL

Asst. Organizer, New Jersey Uke Fest, Aug. 24-26, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by FiL View Post
    I asked in the YouTube comments what the nut width was but they never replied. I could handle a narrower nut width, but definitely not the standard mando-family nut width. I'd be happy with 1.375", though.
    I suppose I could suffer with a nut of that width, but I'd have to see in person before I consider the investment

FiL, when you get yours, maybe we could have a jam session and I could try it out some time?...he he....
    Just the FAQs
    "Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."
    -T. S. Eliot

Hello all,
    Sorry to have missed your question in the comments section of the video. The nut width is 35mm, just about 1 3/8'', which is standard for Ukes and Octave mandos.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Very happy to announce that these will be arriving in October! We have two sizes and scale lengths, two tone wood combinations and two finishes to choose from. Check out the details at www.krstrings.com.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

-Kilin Reece

krstrings@gmail.com

Thanks for showing us these, Kilin. They look very nice, and your video sample sounds perfect. I love how Pono is coming up with new concepts that fill the niches in between existing categories. Can't wait to hear a comparative sound sample of both models.

Quote Originally Posted by krstringrepair View Post
    Hello all,
    Sorry to have missed your question in the comments section of the video. The nut width is 35mm, just about 1 3/8'', which is standard for Ukes and Octave mandos.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    Very happy to announce that these will be arriving in October! We have two sizes and scale lengths, two tone wood combinations and two finishes to choose from. Check out the details at www.krstrings.com.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

-Kilin Reece

krstrings@gmail.com

THANKS Kilin!

I am very looking forward to trying out and maybe buying one of these as my first foray into a mando-style instrument.
    Just the FAQs
    "Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."
    -T. S. Eliot

For those interested: The Pono Octave Mandolins / 8 String Tenor Guitars are now available at HMS with several nice sound samples on their Vimeo channel.

And here's a little back story to them on Acoustic Guitar Forum.

So, who is getting one? Let us know how you like it!
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - John Kinnard - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - Toby Chennell - and others

Thread Information