News from Pono: Octave Mandolins!

That sounds sweet!

HMS just take my money now!

Sounds great but I am not interested, personally. I am also of the opinion that not every stringed instrument needs a ukulele version.

Sounds great but I am not interested, personally. I am also of the opinion that not every stringed instrument needs a ukulele version.

Different strokes, and all. These aren't designed to be a ukulele version of anything (they are meant to be tuned GDAE or GDAD) unless you chose to tune it that way, which in fact I would. I play a long-scale mandola tuned F-Bb-D-G (capo 2 for GCEA) because I am invested in ukulele chord shapes, but I like the sound of steel strings. Price-wise, there is a pretty big gap in the mandola/octave mandolin market between the $600-700 Chinese instruments from the likes of GoldTone and Trinity College and the $1500-3000 handmade instruments. I'm hoping that these instruments fall somewhere in between.

- FiL

Different strokes, and all. These aren't designed to be a ukulele version of anything (they are meant to be tuned GDAE or GDAD) unless you chose to tune it that way, which in fact I would. I play a long-scale mandola tuned F-Bb-D-G (capo 2 for GCEA) because I am invested in ukulele chord shapes, but I like the sound of steel strings. Price-wise, there is a pretty big gap in the mandola/octave mandolin market between the $600-700 Chinese instruments from the likes of GoldTone and Trinity College and the $1500-3000 handmade instruments. I'm hoping that these instruments fall somewhere in between.

- FiL

Agreed, completely. These are not ukuleles at all, and there is a grand tradition of flat top octave mandolins. These look like a worthwhile addition and I am very intrigued. I, too, hope the goal is to have an affordable instrument.

Last edited:
Kind of looks like an 8 string version of their new Big Bari also being introduced. It sounds HUGE!

Last edited:
Hopefully the nut is WIDER than most mandos or mandolas, so as to help us UKE player fit our elephant-toe sized fingers on the strings.

I can't play a banjo, mando or tenor guitar comfortably because someone with spider fingers decided upon a 1.25" nut width and there's just zero chance of me being able to fret clean chords on that...

Nut needs to be AT LEAST 1.5" or I'm out...

Hopefully the nut is WIDER than most mandos or mandolas, so as to help us UKE player fit our elephant-toe sized fingers on the strings.

I can't play a banjo, mando or tenor guitar comfortably because someone with spider fingers decided upon a 1.25" nut width and there's just zero chance of me being able to fret clean chords on that...

Nut needs to be AT LEAST 1.5" or I'm out...

I asked in the YouTube comments what the nut width was but they never replied. I could handle a narrower nut width, but definitely not the standard mando-family nut width. I'd be happy with 1.375", though.

- FiL

I asked in the YouTube comments what the nut width was but they never replied. I could handle a narrower nut width, but definitely not the standard mando-family nut width. I'd be happy with 1.375", though.

I suppose I could suffer with a nut of that width, but I'd have to see in person before I consider the investment :)

FiL, when you get yours, maybe we could have a jam session and I could try it out some time?...he he....:music:

Hello all,
Sorry to have missed your question in the comments section of the video. The nut width is 35mm, just about 1 3/8'', which is standard for Ukes and Octave mandos.
FullSizeRender.jpg
Very happy to announce that these will be arriving in October! We have two sizes and scale lengths, two tone wood combinations and two finishes to choose from. Check out the details at www.krstrings.com.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

-Kilin Reece

krstrings@gmail.com

Thanks for showing us these, Kilin. They look very nice, and your video sample sounds perfect. I love how Pono is coming up with new concepts that fill the niches in between existing categories. Can't wait to hear a comparative sound sample of both models.

Hello all,
Sorry to have missed your question in the comments section of the video. The nut width is 35mm, just about 1 3/8'', which is standard for Ukes and Octave mandos.
View attachment 92872
Very happy to announce that these will be arriving in October! We have two sizes and scale lengths, two tone wood combinations and two finishes to choose from. Check out the details at www.krstrings.com.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

-Kilin Reece

krstrings@gmail.com

THANKS Kilin!

I am very looking forward to trying out and maybe buying one of these as my first foray into a mando-style instrument. :)

For those interested: The Pono Octave Mandolins / 8 String Tenor Guitars are now available at HMS with several nice sound samples on their Vimeo channel.

And here's a little back story to them on Acoustic Guitar Forum.

So, who is getting one? Let us know how you like it!

Nick Reynolds, of the Kingston Trio, had a couple of 8 string tenor guitars that he kept in Chicago tuning(DGBE)'
Nick Reynolds eight string gutar.jpg

Maggie and I saw John Doyle playing an octave mandolin shaped like a guitar at Celtic Colours a few years back.
John Doyle OM.jpg

Sierra Hull plays an Octave mandolin made by Heiden.
Sierra Hull octave mandolin.jpg

Here's Sarah Jarosz with her octave mandolin.

Here's Molly Tuttle trying out a Nugget OM

Attachments

• Sarah Jarosz octave mandolin.jpg
    Sarah Jarosz octave mandolin.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom