NUD Clara

Congratulations on your Clara! It sounds like you are really impressed and happy with it!

As a fellow Arizonan, I also choose ukuleles that can withstand our dry climate. I have a tenor Fluke that I enjoy (though I find the tenor fretboard a bit awkward at times), but I can't seem to squelch my desire for a Clara. I've never had the opportunity to hold one or hear them played in person, but I am intrigued by their reputation for wonderful sound none-the-less.

If I recall correctly, you have also owned/played a Fluke? Can you describe how the Fluke and Clara compare sound-wise?

Stacy

Hi StacyAZ, Like you, I aim for stable laminates-only now. I had a vintage soprano crack on me. Also I'm too lazy to keep up on my humidifying duties. I think you probably need to do it at least twice-per-week in AZ.

I've never held a Fluke but would like to sometime. The Flea's (2 - one plastic fretboard, one hardwood fretboard) that I had were a little slippery too. I think the Clara might be slippery-er. But I never cared for the neck on the Flea's; I like the Clara's a lot neck better. But other than that, I think they're great instruments and the people who make them are very great too and a pleasure to deal with.

I did order a strap from Sherrin's Threads on Etsy for the Clara. I will do the tie-on leather-piece/shoe-string attachment at the headstock. I am very unhandy with tools and would not trust myself to put in an extra strap button.

As for sound-wise, Clara is definitely louder and fuller/ more distinction on the strings/notes. It really booms and the C resonates a lot. It's definitely pricey but I am now trying to convince myself to go quality over quantity now (haha, as I eyeball their Farallon online). Also, I would like to check out a Famous/Kiwaya Concert laminate but those are impossible to find like a unicorn. I think that might be amazing especially for the price given the concert size.

Congratulations on your Clara! It sounds like you are really impressed and happy with it!

As a fellow Arizonan, I also choose ukuleles that can withstand our dry climate. I have a tenor Fluke that I enjoy (though I find the tenor fretboard a bit awkward at times), but I can't seem to squelch my desire for a Clara. I've never had the opportunity to hold one or hear them played in person, but I am intrigued by their reputation for wonderful sound none-the-less.

If I recall correctly, you have also owned/played a Fluke? Can you describe how the Fluke and Clara compare sound-wise?

Stacy

Top Bottom