Tenor vs Concert

If you ever played a Duke 10, you'd likely change your mind.

Man, I'd love it if it came with a concert neck. I really want a good banjo uke, but I really can't get the stretch on a tenor neck.

Have you seen instruments going basically the other way, i.e. soprano neck on a concert body? I like the deeper sound on the bigger bodies, but have tiny hands for playing. Bb is a stretch for me on a concert. I love the tenor I started with, but I've never been able to really play it because it's such a stretch between frets.

My Cocobolo Ukulele has 12 frets to the (concert) body, with the same size body, is notably shorter than my Kala. Some things still make me stretch.

Man, I'd love it if it came with a concert neck. I really want a good banjo uke, but I really can't get the stretch on a tenor neck.

Yeah, it's a reach for me too. Not the most comfortable thing in the world. I wish it were a concert too. Some other makers build concert scale banjoukes, but I'm not real fond of any of them, except for the Beansprout, which is outta my reach for now.

The Tiny Tenor has a standard tenor scale on a triangular shaped body of about concert size, or slightly bigger.

Ohana makes a tenor scaled concert bodied solid mahogany uke (CK35L) at a reasonable price.

----------------

I'm an official member of the Small Hands Club. :p I wear a child's medium glove as women's XS is too big for me.
Soprano ukuleles I liked, but I didn't always like their sound for every song. Concert ukuleles set up low G were my jam! However as I have gotten to the point of starting to perform in public, my concert uke was always getting drowned out by the tenor and baritone ukes. I needed 'tenor sound' but I still wanted concert sizing. Hence, I got a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor and love it!

----------------

I'm an official member of the Small Hands Club. :p I wear a child's medium glove as women's XS is too big for me.
Soprano ukuleles I liked, but I didn't always like their sound for every song. Concert ukuleles set up low G were my jam! However as I have gotten to the point of starting to perform in public, my concert uke was always getting drowned out by the tenor and baritone ukes. I needed 'tenor sound' but I still wanted concert sizing. Hence, I got a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor and love it!
I won a nice Islander tenor at a uke festival a few months ago. I've had a hard time bonding with it, and may sell it at some point. The size doesn't suit me, with the wider neck, larger fret spacing, and bigger overall size. My hands are big, but my fingers are short & chubby. I'm wondering how a Tiny Tenor would work for me? Does it have a wide or thick neck? Nut size? I assume the fret spacing is the same as any tenor?

I won a nice Islander tenor at a uke festival a few months ago. I've had a hard time bonding with it, and may sell it at some point. The size doesn't suit me, with the wider neck, larger fret spacing, and bigger overall size. My hands are big, but my fingers are short & chubby. I'm wondering how a Tiny Tenor would work for me? Does it have a wide or thick neck? Nut size? I assume the fret spacing is the same as any tenor?

IMG_20170923_192944_567.jpg i attached a pic of the neck next to a ruler. I would take a ruler and line it up next to the neck of the ukulele size you like playing and see if the spacing is comparable to my picture. What i found is that the neck of the TT is the same width as my concert ukulele. However the spacing between frets is different from my concert. I have no trouble doing most chords on the TT though I do NOT like most tenors as they just seem to be the wrong size for me but the TT is different. One thing that was hard to get used to is that the TT, like most real tenor ukes, have more string tension, which is both good and bad if you do a lot of note bending. Also what is your playing style like? If you do a lot of plain strumming this is not the best uke for that. It shines doing riffs and fingerstyle stuffs. There are a lot of videos featuring it. I have been able to get more finger flexibility by doing spider exercises which seems to make up for tiny hands.

Yep, that shows it as a 17" tenor scale, (concert is about 15").

A Tiny Tenor is a true tenor, just with a smaller triangular shaped body, & shorter headstock. :)

(Another option is a tenor with a concert sized body, called a long neck concert, or sometimes, a super concert.)

Yep, that shows it as a 17" tenor scale, (concert is about 15").

A Tiny Tenor is a true tenor, just with a smaller triangular shaped body, & shorter headstock. :)

(Another option is a tenor with a concert sized body, called a long neck concert, or sometimes, a super concert.)

Do you happen to know if most concerts have the same width though as a regular tenor or even this tenor?
Someone remarked my concert has a fat neck to have the same width as the TT.

I wanted a Mya Moe super concert but looks like they are stopping production soon. But i wonder if concerts with long necks sound as loud? The weird teardrop shaped body is supposed to enhance that.
Another option for loudness without a pickup is Clara blackbird, but i did not dig its sound quality or price tag although it appears to be a ukulele that could outlive its owner in durability.

Most widths at the nut are about the same, (except baritone, which is often 1.5"), & as far as I know, the thickness of necks only varies a little bit, but some prefer one width/thickness to another, just personal tastes.

Another way of getting louder, without amplification, is the resonator, this was it's original purpose, I believe.

I have experimented with classical guitar strings on a laminate tenor uke, & it certainly sounds louder to me, & I quite like it.

So if I struggle with the fret spacing on my current tenor, then the TT isn't going to help with that. Tenor fret spacing and the 17" scale will be the same, no matter what the body size & shape is.

I've noticed a concert for sale that has a 16" scale. Would that be considered a super concert? My current concerts are about 15" to 15.5"

View attachment 103251 i attached a pic of the neck next to a ruler. I would take a ruler and line it up next to the neck of the ukulele size you like playing and see if the spacing is comparable to my picture. What i found is that the neck of the TT is the same width as my concert ukulele. However the spacing between frets is different from my concert. I have no trouble doing most chords on the TT though I do NOT like most tenors as they just seem to be the wrong size for me but the TT is different. One thing that was hard to get used to is that the TT, like most real tenor ukes, have more string tension, which is both good and bad if you do a lot of note bending. Also what is your playing style like? If you do a lot of plain strumming this is not the best uke for that. It shines doing riffs and fingerstyle stuffs. There are a lot of videos featuring it. I have been able to get more finger flexibility by doing spider exercises which seems to make up for tiny hands.

You could try concert strings on it and see if the tension is better. I use soprano strings on my concert and both me and the uke like them better.

You could try concert strings on it and see if the tension is better. I use soprano strings on my concert and both me and the uke like them better.

The tension thing is more a preference. It all depends on what you are looking for. A friend of mine who plays only tenors and sopranos swears concerts play "mushy" for him (both in tension and in sound) and feel awkward. Concerts play "soft" and mellow for me. Songs I play on mine always sound like I am on a vacation. Tenors seem to have an extra range expressions than a concert because you can play them "stabby" and sharp. The notes are separate and stand out more too I noticed. Although that could be that I lack the skill currently to do so, I am sure pros could get a stabby and sharp sound out of my concert. I just need more practice!!

Top Bottom