Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tenor vs Concert

I started out on a Tenor and had trouble with the stretch and bought a Concert. I found the fret span to be much easier to play and I was able to progress much faster. After playing the concert for a while the tenor got easier and when I went to a Baritone, I had no trouble, or little trouble adapting. I'm 6'2' and have medium sized hands but the concert is comfortable and soprano's are too tight for me.

Tenor is my favorite size now but I still love my concert's chiming tone.

Personally, I think all uke players should own at least one soprano, even if they only play it once in a blue moon.

I'm happy for anyone to tell me the same about concert/tenor/baritone/sopranino (delete as appropriate) but I'd need some convincing to own a banjolele again!

Quote Originally Posted by jimavery View Post
    but I'd need some convincing to own a banjolele again!
    If you ever played a Duke 10, you'd likely change your mind.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I could tell that that post was made in jest, but there are some zealots who believe it to be the holy grail of ukedom.

The ukeulele is just a musical instrument & comes in different sizes like most other instruments.
    Keith M --> likes a long neck - & being different.....

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    I do own a soprano
    It's always good to meet a fellow soprano player!

My first ukulele was a Kala tenor which is very nice.
    But I find that the width or the nut/ distance between string is most important to me.
    Currently I love playing my concert Fluke at home and a wide necked soprano for the car or travel.
    Try all the sizes as you can and play what you like.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Wow post started in April 2016 and still going, I guess good for the beginners to figure out.

Size isn't about popularity, but what you feel comfortable with.

Big fingers, then a Tenor is more comfortable, Tenor has bigger sound, more projection...

I may be about the least experienced one around here. I have only had my Uke about 2 months. I will tell you I went back and forth between tenor and concert as my first one, and in the end thought I might learn better on the tenor.

In retrospect I kind of wonder now if I should of gotten a concert first and then later added a tenor to the collection. This is the most unscientific or experienced based comment there could be. Just the tenor feels just a bit larger than I had "pictured" playing the ukulele would feel.

For ME the soprano was too small as the first one for a beginner. Although if for no other reason except to say I have one, I could see me buying one sooner or later. maybe a cheaper one.

my personal thoughts now for newbies:
    1) Start with a concert. best of both worlds.
    2) IF you love it, then add a tenor if you are so inclined.
    3) Add a soprano if you become obsessed

this is all only AFTER trying the different sizes in a store if that is an option. that is the bigger key. which one feels right to you

comments from a rookie... so don't consider it gospel by any means. Jut maybe my thoughts now
    Last edited by krubby; 08-31-2017 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krubby View Post
    I may be about the least experienced one around here. I have only had my Uke about 2 months. I will tell you I went back and forth between tenor and concert as my first one, and in the end thought I might learn better on the tenor.

In retrospect I kind of wonder now if I should of gotten a concert first and then later added a tenor to the collection. This is the most unscientific or experienced based comment there could be. Just the tenor feels just a bit larger than I had "pictured" playing the ukulele would feel.

For ME the soprano was too small as the first one for a beginner. Although if for no other reason except to say I have one, I could see me buying one sooner or later. maybe a cheaper one.

my personal thoughts now for newbies:
    1) Start with a concert. best of both worlds.
    2) IF you love it, then add a tenor if you are so inclined.
    3) Add a soprano if you become obsessed

this is all only AFTER trying the different sizes in a store if that is an option. that is the bigger key. which one feels right to you

comments from a rookie... so don't consider it gospel by any means. Jut maybe my thoughts now
    Haha i'm at your #2 now. I'm a newbie as well and we had similar experience, but I did get the Concert for my first Ukulele, and been loving it ^^. I'm still fumbling around with chord change and strumming, but everyday , 30 minutes before bed is my own time with ukulele, and it helps me to relax much better than ever...
    1st Uke: Lanikai LU-21C
    -Be fun, be cool, be optimist-
    -There is no such thing as coincidence.... only the inevitability-

Quote Originally Posted by rappsy View Post
    Lost in this conversation is the hybrid. Although not many are made, I like the sound of the concert and the scale of the tenor, sometimes called a long neck tenor, sometimes called a super concert. Best of both worlds for some.

It's importance is validated by Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha and others such as Ono, Cocobolo and Pepe Romero's Tiny Tenor that have reduced the size of the body and yet still uses the longer neck. (Ono and Cocobolo use a 16 inch scale on some of it's models, and the Tiny Tenor has a smaller body with a tenor scale.)
    Have you seen instruments going basically the other way, i.e. soprano neck on a concert body? I like the deeper sound on the bigger bodies, but have tiny hands for playing. Bb is a stretch for me on a concert. I love the tenor I started with, but I've never been able to really play it because it's such a stretch between frets.

Thread Information