Boohoohoo, buzzing on my new uke

JessicaM

Reaction score
My new uke just arrived from Mim about half an hour ago. I'm getting some buzzing on the E string's 2nd or 3rd fret. Do you hear it too? It's more grating in real life than on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6449Xy9k-A

Sad face.

Edited to update: I called Mim and she offered to replace this uke, no problem. She was amazing! I'm so glad I followed this group's advice elsewhere and ordered from a reputable seller. Anyway, I just wanted to get this in the first post on this thread so it didn't seem like I was ragging on Mim.

Last edited:
hard to hear it...but call Mim and let her know..she will take care of you.....

I don't hear it very well either, but you have to ask Mim about it. There might be something you can do without sending it back.

I hear it. Are you pressing too hard on the fret? Try different finger pressure and placement. (I cannot see your fretting hand so I don't know if the problem is there)
If that is not the problem then I would suggest a string change before sending it back.

Recently, I put a set of strings on my Pono and two days later I started getting a buzz from the second and third frets (e string too) I had never experienced before. I had another set of strings and after putting them on the buzzing stopped.

I can hear a faint, sitar-like sound on at least two frets, maybe three. There is one possibility that's quite easy to check out - I often get something like this on a uke I've just built, which comes from the saddle.

Ideally the front edge of the saddle should roll over towards the headstock. As you fret each note you change slightly the angle at which the string leaves the saddle. If the string is resting on a ridge or hollow you can get this effect.

Slacken the string and check for a rough spot or dip. If you find this and can polish it out that might solve the problem. I'd use 1000 grit wet and dry paper - coarse sandpaper will leave scratches. Metal polish, or even chalky white toothpaste, using a piece of paper to polish, would be gentle.

It could be a high fret, but then I'd expect to hear one fret buzz much more loudly. Could be a duff string - you can check that by removing the string and swapping it end for end to see if the problem goes away or moves to a different fret. Also check it's not a buzz from one of the tuners (get someone to hold the tuner while you play those notes).

But the saddle is my first suspect.

I'm not sure if it's because I have headphones in, but I hear it pretty loudly.

Who is great?
Mim is great!

She's sending out a new one & I'm sending this one back.

Y'all weren't kidding about great customer service!

Who is great?
Mim is great!

She's sending out a new one & I'm sending this one back.

Y'all weren't kidding about great customer service!

the best way is to always talk to the sellers first..if they are any good they will replace the uke if you not happy....

the best way is to always talk to the sellers first..if they are any good they will replace the uke if you not happy....

Thanks! Yes. A large piece of this was trusting my ear. I didn't want to call her crying wolf over a buzz that only my new ear heard.

I'm glad to hear you got this resolved. I have found that,as others mentioned, that strings can gave a big effect,especially with a nice low action. The same strings even can buzz and then not, or vice versa, as they stretch and settle.

I'm glad to hear you got this resolved. I have found that,as others mentioned, that strings can gave a big effect,especially with a nice low action. The same strings even can buzz and then not, or vice versa, as they stretch and settle.

This is good to know for when I have to restring it! That way I won't panic.
Maybe I'll email Mim and see if she wants to wait a week and see if it just resolves itself...

Top Bottom