Chee-Maisel ghs strings......anybody tried them yet.

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
In particular... I'm looking at the GHS CU-CCR ground nylon set to try on my tenor Opio. I am looking for comments on feel, brightness and tension. These are supposed to be bright, lower tension I which are easy to finger but full sounding.

Much thicker than Oasis brights with stated thickness as:
A - .027
E- .032
C- .040
G-.027

Wondering how they might sound with Sapele tenor.

Thanks for reply Jim. I guess for the cost...... I will give them a try. I've tried a lot of other makes. I haven't normally liked the sound of nylon strings but as stated above in your link and on the Chee Maisel video's they like them and they sound pretty good to my ears. I don't know if I ever read your review on your Iriguchi Tenor but I do recall seeing picture of it in a thread. Red wood top correct. How do you like it after having it for awhile. Cool shape that keystone design. Just curious.

Anybody else try these strings?
Cheers

I am very satisfied with a different set from Chee-Maisell, their dGBE strings for tenor. Mr. Chee is wonderful in terms of service and obviously both of their playing is great. If the strings are good enough for them, that's saying a lot.

Yes, get them!

I don't know if I ever read your review on your Iriguchi Tenor but I do recall seeing picture of it in a thread. Red wood top correct. How do you like it after having it for awhile. Cool shape that keystone design. Just curious.
I don't recall if I ever wrote a full review but I like it a lot. Yes, redwood top, poplar back. I have it tuned to Bb reentrant with Southcoast strings and it's a great warm tone and softer feel.

Y'know, I just watched the video by Sarah/Craig describing the strings and I think they would sound great on the keystone or on your Opio, but I'm not sure I'd like the feel. From their description, they seem more like the feel of Aquila Nylguts than typical floro strings - and I've never been a fan of Nylguts. So I dunno. Maybe I'll order a set the next time I need a string change but order a set of Southcoast at the same time in case they don't work out. :p

I don't recall if I ever wrote a full review but I like it a lot. Yes, redwood top, poplar back. I have it tuned to Bb reentrant with Southcoast strings and it's a great warm tone and softer feel.

Y'know, I just watched the video by Sarah/Craig describing the strings and I think they would sound great on the keystone or on your Opio, but I'm not sure I'd like the feel. From their description, they seem more like the feel of Aquila Nylguts than typical floro strings - and I've never been a fan of Nylguts. So I dunno. Maybe I'll order a set the next time I need a string change but order a set of Southcoast at the same time in case they don't work out. :p

Not like Nylguts. Smooth nylon strings. I thought they were fatter and softer than fluorocarbon. They were more to my liking than D'Addario T2 on a Pono tenor. But I only kept them on for a couple of weeks. I prefer flourocarbon. Im a big Sarah fan so I really wanted to like them. But no.

In particular... I'm looking at the GHS CU-CCR ground nylon set to try on my tenor Opio. I am looking for comments on feel, brightness and tension. These are supposed to be bright, lower tension I which are easy to finger but full sounding.

A - .027
E- .032
C- .040
G-.027

Wondering how they might sound with Sapele tenor.

If they are nylon, and in those gauges (which are pretty standard for a nylon set), they will be THICKER than nearly ALL fluorocarbon strings.

Nylon strings have a lower linear density than fluorocarbon strings, thus requiring more 'mass' to achieve the same tension as fluorocarbon.

Oasis strings are in fact fluorocarbon strings, thus your observation of the GHS CU-CCR being thicker is normal.

Aquila Nylgut an SuperNylgut are also made from a material that is THICKER than fluorocarbon (and therefore Oasis) strings.

Hope this helps. :)

To me, i associate thicker strings being warmer, as so with softer string compounds, lower tension gives the string better
Playability and lets the string resonate better
UOTE=M3Ukulele;1839534]In particular... I'm looking at the GHS CU-CCR ground nylon set to try on my tenor Opio. I am looking for comments on feel, brightness and tension. These are supposed to be bright, lower tension I which are easy to finger but full sounding.

A - .027
E- .032
C- .040
G-.027

Wondering how they might sound with Sapele tenor.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I am very satisfied with a different set from Chee-Maisell, their dGBE strings for tenor. Mr. Chee is wonderful in terms of service and obviously both of their playing is great. If the strings are good enough for them, that's saying a lot.

You're referring to the CU-BTR Bari-Tenor set. It uses the same smooth nylon strings as the CU-CCR set, as Craig fell in love with the feel of those.

If they are nylon, and in those gauges (which are pretty standard for a nylon set), they will be THICKER than nearly ALL fluorocarbon strings.

Nylon strings have a lower linear density than fluorocarbon strings, thus requiring more 'mass' to achieve the same tension as fluorocarbon.

Oasis strings are in fact fluorocarbon strings, thus your observation of the GHS CU-CCR being thicker is normal.

Aquila Nylgut an SuperNylgut are also made from a material that is THICKER than fluorocarbon (and therefore Oasis) strings.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you for that. In the grand scheme of things, gauge/diameter doesn't mean nearly as much as we think, and your post is proof of that.

Thanks all for the replies. I am aware Oasis are fluorocarbons as I generally only play fluorocarbons. I think the diameter ,feel and tendency for a brighter string are what I like. That said, I will give these ground Nylon a shot and see how feel, sound etc play into the equation for this Opio tenor. I quite like both Oasis and Aquila Reds on this ukulele so will experiment more.

Top Bottom