Ukulele fads on the forum and who follows them..

Aloha Sam,
This is all about the uke journey, steve is at the point he is comfortable being at with vintage uke, we all go through
This process. . He may never change his oulook and enjoy being there or in the future things might change in terms of
His preference and likes. Sorta like new strings but in a longer time point. Like i still like martins and worths for some applications.
UOTE=sam13;1840935]But Steve ... you are also a passionate collector of Vintage Ukulele for the most part and a custom vintage Uke is kind of hard to do ... I know your philosophy about custom Ukes holding their money well ... and yes, new stuff doesn't retain its value as well.[/QUOTE]

Aloha Simon,
Yes we all have been bitten by the ukulele bug, and UAS ...the forum has provided us with this to support our passions and passions to grow uke wise. Also make tons of new friends we would have never met.
I would like to thank UU and the moderators and administrative peeps for giving us this site and enabling us
To grow uke wise and have a beautiful ukulele community of friends. Please if you can, support UU in whatever
Capacity you can afford, with either joining the VIP PROGRAM or make a donation. Mahalo all, happy strummings :)
=sam13;1840936]Like Dave ... I have no previous stringed instrument experience when I was bit hard with the Ukulele bug!

We have a few stores in the Greater Toronto Area ... but they can't carry all of the stuff you would like to see, so i too have found myself getting lots of information from members and online sites like HMS ... their videos are so excellent.

And I have bought higher end instruments to start ... like Pono Pro Classics, and now Kamaka's.

I have been influenced not by fads but by passion and information from fellow members ... for sure.[/QUOTE]

Aloha Dave,
I too enjoy the side sound port, it is a superb idea...for many reasons
Intresting concept, im thinking though id keep my ukes with just one Ssp. Ive seen ones with multiple and they seem to lose their punch
Maybe a luthier may figure something out in the future to make that conceptual design work? :)
What he said.

+10 on the side sound port. Any custom uke I order innthe future will get a sound port. I have two ukes with them and all you have to do is put a piece of paper over the sound port then pull it off halfway through the song. Bingo someone just shoved a stero monitor in your face......a really high quality stero monitor with good volume.

Aloha DWH,
It sounds like you have grown and benefited from our UU Forums. Thats great to hear your passion has also grown as much as your ululele family..congratulations on your ever growing ukulele family, happy strummings :)
I don't think this site pushes fads so much; it's more a community that celebrates the uke. Through that celebration, many respected, knowledgeable, enthusiasts impart inspiration, recommendation, and advice to folks who otherwise would not have access to such a plethora of other's experiences.
Before lurking on this site, my only uke was a China made Lanikai. After lurking for a time, UU influenced and spurred my UAS ... acquiring a KoAloha Tenor, a Custom Kamaka longneck concert, a 20s Martin style O, I just won a Ken Timms 17 fret today, and I have a Donmo Tenor on the way in a few months! These are not fads! These are investments to the bank of my enjoyment, and knowledge! THANX!!! UU:D

Of course UU has influenced my buying patterns. My new baby's side soundhole, radiused fretboard, pickup, Grover planetary tuners, through the bridge stringing, tapered arm rest, are all results of reading posts here. Of course, I did my own homework too.
The strings I use are because of UU member's influence.
I've learned what to look and listen for, and what to avoid in buying. I daresay even my song preferences are influenced by being here.
The whole ukulele thing is a trend (NOT a fad), toward happier people. TBUS just went over 1300 members, and I see one or two brand new ukers at each jam session. I've recruited two brand new ukers by myself this year, and am about to bring a 3rd into the fold. I tell them all about UU.
I find that the people that visit UU regularly are the most well informed buyers around. Sadly, my friends that don't come here tend to buy ukes over and over again, and get screwed sometimes.
I get about 3 ukes a year, on the average, and the last two years, one uke each year. I wanna do it right, and I think the last uke I bought might be the last uke I buy for awhile, because I did it right, because I pay attention to UU.

Last edited:
Aloha Nickie,
Thank you for your nice post, all of them in this thread are nice too. It makes me happy to hear stories where
Members have benefited and appriciated our beloved forum and its part of their daily schedule to check in and comment. Even to help others and share advice or contribute here. Thank you Nickie and all for making UU forums
The best forum online. Im so fortunate to have made so many friends here too :)
Of course UU has influenced my buying patterns. My new baby's side soundhole, radiused fretboard, pickup, Grover planetary tuners, through the bridge stringing, tapered arm rest, are all results of reading posts here. Of course, I did my own homework too.
The strings I use are because of UU member's influence.
I've learned what to look and listen for, and what to avoid in buying. I daresay even my song preferences are influenced by being here.
The whole ukulele thing is a trend (NOT a fad), toward happier people. TBUS just went over 1300 members, and I see one or two brand new ukers at each jam session. I've recruited two brand new ukers by myself this year, and am about to bring a 3rd into the fold. I tell them all about UU.
I find that the people that visit UU regularly are the most well informed buyers around. Sadly, my friends that don't come here tend to buy ukes over and over again, and get screwed sometimes.
I get about 3 ukes a year, on the average, and the last two years, one uke each year. I wanna do it right, and I think the last uke I bought might be the last uke I buy for awhile, because I did it right, because I pay attention to UU.

Aloha, Stan,

Great thread! The many thoughtful responses show why this is such a great forum. My appreciation for what we have here comes from a slightly different angle. I started following UU closely when I got the hare-brained idea of building an instrument about five years ago. There is so much information that passes across these pages on what works, what players like and why, how things can be done, and on and on. At the outset, I read through years of posts in the Luthier's Lounge, which is probably the most comprehensive source of information on ukulele building that exists anywhere. If the goal is to make good instruments that people enjoy playing, this is the place to learn what the time-honored standards are and to follow trends that advance the art.

Aloha,
David

My first mistake was listen to a salesman . Told me to buy a concert size just because I am a woman and petite!
I think anyone buying their first uke regardless of the price should always check with the members here.
We all made mistakes in our uke journey. What can be more wiser than to learn from other people mistake and experience?
Yes - side sound port is also my number one choice! The sound just hit you in the face! It's a wonderful experience !

Aloha David,
Yes you have a great point, for the luthiers, we have the best here willing to share their knowledge here.
Many thank you to all of them who encourage the newer wave of builders and give advice to all...
Aloha, Stan,

Great thread! The many thoughtful responses show why this is such a great forum. My appreciation for what we have here comes from a slightly different angle. I started following UU closely when I got the hare-brained idea of building an instrument about five years ago. There is so much information that passes across these pages on what works, what players like and why, how things can be done, and on and on. At the outset, I read through years of posts in the Luthier's Lounge, which is probably the most comprehensive source of information on ukulele building that exists anywhere. If the goal is to make good instruments that people enjoy playing, this is the place to learn what the time-honored standards are and to follow trends that advance the art.

Aloha,
David

Aloha Mrs Bee,
Yes buying from a reputable store who gives great advice and listen to you first, and not just make a sale
I wouldnt sell you something that was not right for you. It is the same for a great luthier too :)
My first mistake was listen to a salesman . Told me to buy a concert size just because I am a woman and petite!
I think anyone buying their first uke regardless of the price should always check with the members here.
We all made mistakes in our uke journey. What can be more wiser than to learn from other people mistake and experience?
Yes - side sound port is also my number one choice! The sound just hit you in the face! It's a wonderful experience !

I have followed advice here on books and strings, and that has led me to some very positive purchases that I wouldn't have even been aware of otherwise. If a book or strings don't work out for me, at least I'm not out much money.

I do enjoy spending time on the HMS site listening to sound samples, and then reading comments here on the ukuleles that sound good to me. That doesn't mean I'll go purchase something, but it's a fun part of the hobby.

I do also listen to YouTubes based on recommendations here, and will purchase music based on recommendations here, and that's a good part of the trends here, too.

Aloha Joyful Uke,
Thank yiu for replying, yes our Beloved UU Forums and the Internet is a great resource we are fortunate to have
Now. In the olden days you watch and emulate others.. happy strummings :) :)

Aloha Stan, great thread. I think there is a difference between fad and disseminating information. UU is a priceless resource to someone in rural MN when NAMM is going on.

That being said it is also interesting to watch certain things pop up and fade. Willie Wixom's ukes come to mind. For a while they were the hot item and haven't heard much since. I never heard a bad thing about them, just good. Also don't see them up for sale so they must be keepers.

Aloha from Waikiki, long time no hear Minnesota :)
Great to hear from you, i still have my Willie, I mean my Wixom ;) you know as the years went by, it has really
opened and became an even better punchier uke. Im simply amazed that some sold them so fast as back then
Many did not realize it takes time for any koa uke built to blossom. I really love mine, an yes its a keeper
Have you been getting any new ukes lately, grest to hear from you jim, keep in touch, happy strummings :)

Aloha Stan, great thread. I think there is a difference between fad and disseminating information. UU is a priceless resource to someone in rural MN when NAMM is going on.

That being said it is also interesting to watch certain things pop up and fade. Willie Wixom's ukes come to mind. For a while they were the hot item and haven't heard much since. I never heard a bad thing about them, just good. Also don't see them up for sale so they must be keepers.

Top Bottom