Ukulele fads on the forum and who follows them..

Aloha Peace Train..
I do agree the hunt, the buy, waiting for the duke to come, and initial playing is more addictive than UAS alone...looking for great deals and bartering used ukes also can be fun
sometime I used to buy on impulse on the spur ....it sure can be addictive and fun if you can afford it.. or until you cannot :)
I don't feel though videos is sometimes enough for me as I'm spoiled and can walk in a ukulele store Like HMS which is like a supermarket of ukes...I do believe it try before you buy senerio
Sure, the excitement of a NUD and all the comments can stir emotions, but unless I'm able to feel and play a uke in person, I can only rely on things like visuals, sound, and my own gut instincts. Because ultimately, it's me who has to be happy with my decision. And it's a way I attempt to keep myself in check. ;) Same applies to any negatives said.

Of course, it's difficult not to be influenced one way or another...especially by popular opinion. And when I come across a comment that sheds light upon a thing, or makes me reconsider something I hadn't thought of, well that's an invaluable part of the forum experience!

Aloha Kyle,
for some reason I did not take that road to skip the budget ukes and go to a premimum ukulele as you did.. there are pros and cons like anything else.. I went the other road trying alot of ukes
for the experience, rather saving my money and buying the best i could afford...I don't knock either way, both are fun, of course now my place is cluttered with ukes and thats not a bad thing either :)
happy strummings :)
I actually find myself doing the opposite of the things most people like. It seems like the most popular things on this forum, I have no interest in. Things like flukes, fleas, electric ukes, risas, and things like that never interested me. I did buy a KoAloha and I learned about them from the forums, but I don't think a Uke of that caliber is really a "fad". I can say though that I let bad reviews shape my opinion of ukes, but I've never bought something because it was recommended. Maybe my KPK but I was more steered that way to check them out and then shaped my own opinion on them.

I have four custom ukes, three of which I came to own because of the forum. (The fourth was because I have a guitar by the luthier, and when he made an ukulele that matched it, I couldn't pass it up.)

It was by reading what the builders had to say in the luthiers' section that first drew my attention; their philosophies, what they did, and why, and how. After that, I looked for videos of their instruments, recordings, and comments from customers and owners.

I sent them notes, opened discussions, and when I found we got along, moved forward.

I have zero complaints about our interactions, have been satisfied -- nay -- thrilled with what they made. Getting to work with craftsmen and artists who know what they are doing is a delight.

UU -- the Forum, the video lessons, tabs, and back-and-forth with folks who drop round -- has been the biggest influence on my decisions about what to buy, from whom. There is a wealth of knowledge available here I haven't found anywhere else. True, I don't always see eye-to-eye with folks in some of our discussions, but overall, the UU experience is, for me, unmatched online.

Aloha Kyle,
for some reason I did not take that road to skip the budget ukes and go to a premimum ukulele as you did.. there are pros and cons like anything else.. I went the other road trying alot of ukes
for the experience, rather saving my money and buying the best i could afford...I don't knock either way, both are fun, of course now my place is cluttered with ukes and thats not a bad thing either :)
happy strummings :)

I actually started out with a cheap Luna then went onto a less than stellar Koloa, so I didn't really jump into great ukes. Those two did make me want to move onto quality ones though.

Hi Stan! Interesting question.

I just wanted a playable uke in the beginning. Then when I started learning the history and seeing all the varieties available, my curiosity was fully piqued. I like to experience a lot of widely varying things and have a lot of interests. I also am a craftsman and an art collector so naturally gravitated towards higher end and luthier custom instruments. I learned of makes and models in UU and FMM and other sources, but really got a lot of my info and love or lust from what MGM promoted. He made the look, specs, and sound samples available so he was my go to. If not for him I would not have my Ponos, Kanile'as or my Maui Music. Probably my Risa LP tenor was my most UU influenced uke. I also hopped on the Clara Roadtrip list because of UU and was happy to have it to try, but not impressed enough to buy one, though indirectly it led me to my Composite Acoustics Cargo carbon fiber guitar. Now HMS fills that one stop shop that MGM had for me but I want the high end stuff and I already have enough ukes.

I had a lot of fun for a few years buying and selling on the marketplace and had a lot of interest in others' reviews when I was doing so.

The only custom I ordered myself was after I had played a Brad Donaldson and loved it. It is still one of my very best ukes, I'd put it on the same level with my Collings and Custom Kanile'a.

I learned tons and I have my keepers and it's time to move on to other things.

Last edited:
Aloha Steve,
Ive noticed you too have taken the direct route to get the best ukes from the best builders and you have an amazing family of ukes....I have to agree UU and online is a treasure trove of information
available to us, We are very fortunate..... I too at the beginning listened to the ones in the know and at the end for the most times jumped at the opportunity to upgrade my ukulele family also.
but I did listen, retain and then decide if its the right decision to purchase... I may have taken the longer road than you by buying my every desire and I wouldn't change looking back now.. Happy
Strummings :)
I have four custom ukes, three of which I came to own because of the forum. (The fourth was because I have a guitar by the luthier, and when he made an ukulele that matched it, I couldn't pass it up.)

It was by reading what the builders had to say in the luthiers' section that first drew my attention; their philosophies, what they did, and why, and how. After that, I looked for videos of their instruments, recordings, and comments from customers and owners.

I sent them notes, opened discussions, and when I found we got along, moved forward.

I have zero complaints about our interactions, have been satisfied -- nay -- thrilled with what they made. Getting to work with craftsmen and artists who know what they are doing is a delight.

UU -- the Forum, the video lessons, tabs, and back-and-forth with folks who drop round -- has been the biggest influence on my decisions about what to buy, from whom. There is a wealth of knowledge available here I haven't found anywhere else. True, I don't always see eye-to-eye with folks in some of our discussions, but overall, the UU experience is, for me, unmatched online.

It's the personal touch and aloha spirit that he brings to UU which helps make it an enjoyable place to be. Mahalo Stan!

Aloha Peace Train,
This is what makes UU forums the best possible forum on the internet Possible....Aloha, I always try to do my best to show it and appreciate others when they do...UU has always made
my day even after 5 years plus later, I feel that same as the first day .... I want to personally thank all the members, moderators and Administrators for doing so.. :)

I actually started out with a cheap Luna then went onto a less than stellar Koloa, so I didn't really jump into great ukes. Those two did make me want to move onto quality ones though.

Aloha Kyle,
Yes even with a shorter history of buying ukes, You got a K brand hawaiian ukulele before I did .... :) it took me a while to warm up to drop the cash for a Premimum ukulele

Hi Stan! Interesting question.

I just wanted a playable uke in the beginning. Then when I started learning the history and seeing all the varieties available, my curiosity was fully piqued. I like to experience a lot of widely varying things and have a lot of interests. I also am a craftsman and an art collector so naturally gravitated towards higher end and luthier custom instruments. I learned of makes and models in UU and FMM and other sources, but really got a lot of my info and love or lust from what MGM promoted. He made the look, specs, and sound samples available so he was my go to. If not for him I would not have my Ponos, Kanile'as or my Maui Music. Probably my Risa LP tenor was my most UU influenced uke. I also hopped on the Clara Roadtrip list because of UU and was happy to have it to try, but not impressed enough to buy one, though indirectly it led me to my Composite Acoustics Cargo carbon fiber guitar. Now HMS fills that one stop shop that MGM had for me but I want the high end stuff and I already have enough ukes.

I had a lot of fun for a few years buying and selling on the marketplace and had a lot of interest in others' reviews when I was doing so.

The only custom I ordered myself was after I had played a Brad Donaldson and loved it. It is still one of my very best ukes, I'd put it on the same level with my Collings and Custom Kanile'a.

I learned tons and I have my keepers and it's time to move on to other things.
Aloha Teekie,
I really miss my friend Mike Aratani, Not only he knew about ukes, But he was one of the nicest persons I ever knew on the face of the earth...He had a kind heart :)
He shared his knowledge with everyone and help build the ukulele market to what it is now...If you asked anyone who has met him or did business with him, youll never hear a bad thing about him
I remember on kid came on line and he did not have money to buy strings, he said send me your address.....just like that
Yes I know you been buying early on some nice ukes too.. I remember I always wanted that maui music 8 stringer you had, you beat me to that one...:)
I do agree one ukes that caught my attention was my brad donaldson too, I was so amazed on the tone of my little soprano, still am....there are several other luthiers that never achieved the success that was due to them, but if you had the opportunity to have one, you know it is special...I hope you continue to play your ukes teekie, Happy Strummings

Last edited:
When I want to move up from my Kayla K AT, I read so may good things about Pono I got one. Not disappointed at all.

Like what's a current fad on the boards, for example?

Only thing I can think of for myself is pretty broad. When I was more into guitars, I never had a desire for a custom made by an individual luthier. For my first real uke I wanted and bought a K brand. But when I came to UU and saw how much people want and value luthiers' work, I got bit by that bug.

Like what's a current fad on the boards, for example?

Only thing I can think of for myself is pretty broad. When I was more into guitars, I never had a desire for a custom made by an individual luthier. For my first real uke I wanted and bought a K brand. But when I came to UU and saw how much people want and value luthiers' work, I got bit by that bug.

Aloha Bonesoup,
Yes you came in the right time, where a luthiers uke is much adored and valued. They been evolving and
More better in tone, playability, and looks. So many good luthiers to choose from for your style preference.
Happy strummings, in brazil huh, wow maybe one day, carnival :)

I'm intrested to know how much does it inspire to buy on other members
Recommendation posts. Whether its thats they are initially proud of their purchase, support the luthier, or its a popular brand.
I say this as i see many ukes go on sale quickly on the marketplace.
Ive learned to choose my luthiers on their style of building and my own
Personal preference. Sure i made lots of mistakes too, but its a learning experience
Fads come and go in anything even ukes, but owning a uke that sounds and plays well will always be foremost as a keeper through time.

Yes, I've definitely been inspired/influenced by other members recommendations on UU. I've decided to stick with K brands and recently ordered two 100th Anniversary Kamakas. Also love my Kanile'a and KoAloha. To help finance my two new Kamakas, decided to let a mandolin and luthier made ukulele go. Now, I'm having second thoughts and may not sell it.

Aloha Guitarsis,
Yes you know ive been following your uke buying from the start, till now to hawaiian K brands
Wow youre getting two more Kamakas. ..way to go girl :)
Yes I know you been influenced by some here and HMS... Im so happy for you with the ukes you got now.
Happy strummings :)

You got me thinking on this one, Stan.

I read the forums here pretty religiously, so I understand the trends you are talking about. And I certainly respect the opinions expressed here. But I realized that almost every one of my ukes came about after actually trying them, or one like them.

My first uke, the one that pulled me in, I purchased after picking it up at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - it fell in with me immediately. My next uke was another version of that one.

My better ukes all came after I tried them: my Kanile'a after taking a "blind test" with MGM at HMS, the Collings after playing one at Gryphon, and my Kinnard after picking it up at the Oahu Uke Fest. (A snap decision that I have not regretted for a moment.) The one 'fad' I tried to follow did not work out so well, and I think it re-inforced my standard practice.

The exceptions to this pattern came when I was looking to fill a particular need and looked for a used instrument in the forum, but those were different types of purchases.

I might add that the "try and buy" approach was corrupted to a huge extent by a friend who let me try a large number of amazing ukes. You know who you are!

Aloha Greenie44,
LOL I wish you were here for the ukulele guild show this year....was the best I heard ever....Chuck, Rollo, Steve Grimes, Eric Devine, David Ingals, Joji Kanda, and many others were all in the same room
Kevin of kinnard ukes too bought some special ukes...it was nice having lunch with Kevin and wife, Kim Hussey, Mark and Greg afterwards....Kanilea had an awesome uke I wanted but was not for sale..
dang.. it sounded amazing....12312134_951585424920192_1357180925_n.jpg wish you were here..DSC02040.jpg
You got me thinking on this one, Stan.

I read the forums here pretty religiously, so I understand the trends you are talking about. And I certainly respect the opinions expressed here. But I realized that almost every one of my ukes came about after actually trying them, or one like them.

My first uke, the one that pulled me in, I purchased after picking it up at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet - it fell in with me immediately. My next uke was another version of that one.

My better ukes all came after I tried them: my Kanile'a after taking a "blind test" with MGM at HMS, the Collings after playing one at Gryphon, and my Kinnard after picking it up at the Oahu Uke Fest. (A snap decision that I have not regretted for a moment.) The one 'fad' I tried to follow did not work out so well, and I think it re-inforced my standard practice.

The exceptions to this pattern came when I was looking to fill a particular need and looked for a used instrument in the forum, but those were different types of purchases.

I might add that the "try and buy" approach was corrupted to a huge extent by a friend who let me try a large number of amazing ukes. You know who you are!

Top Bottom