Wound C vs Unwound C on a Tenor Ukulele:

JJFN

Reaction score
As I understand it, all things being equal, a properly tuned wound C, would create less tension than a properly tuned unwound C. If this is correct then it would require less pressure to fret a wound C then an unwound C. Or, would it depend upon the material's used in the unwound C ?

It would depend on the materials for sure.

I've found the wound C does take more finger pressure to fret than a nylon wound C, however you only really notice it because it's the only wound string in a re-entrant set. If you're using a wound low G string in addition to the wound C, I doubt you're going to notice the difference in finger pressure needed.

If you're using a wound C in a fluorocarbon set, I doubt you'll notice any finger pressure difference at all.

My understanding would be that since different materials are being used you can't say that one is definitely going to be a lower or higher tension than the other. That would depend on the individual unit weight of the strings used.

However, a wound C would be typically of a narrower gauge and thus would tend to feel more 'twangy' I suppose (technical term). This, for me, is the advantage of a wound C - it eliminates the thuddiness associated with heavier strings.

It would depend on the materials for sure.

I've found the wound C does take more finger pressure to fret than a nylon wound C, however you only really notice it because it's the only wound string in a re-entrant set. If you're using a wound low G string in addition to the wound C, I doubt you're going to notice the difference in finger pressure needed.

If you're using a wound C in a fluorocarbon set, I doubt you'll notice any finger pressure difference at all.

The above has been my experience as well. I use wound C in both reentrant and low G and I do not notice a tension difference compared to a fluorocarbon C string.

It has been my experience that a higher tension string takes less pressure because of the amount of tension already on the string; all one needs to do is apply enough pressure behind the fret to make the note.
I practice finger pressure exercises by applying an over-amount of pressure to the string and the relaxing the pressure until I can create a clean, clear note with the minimal amount of pressure. This also might including moving my finger either from tip to pad to tip and nail sometimes, depending on which fret I am playing.
I use a tuner during the exercise so I can also see how a note changes shape (flat or sharp) depending on finger placement and applied pressure.

I think this can also help to bring out the responsiveness of a quality instrument as well.

Re-entrant wound C = sacrilege

:shaka::shaka::shaka:

(kidding, but serious, and seriously kidding.) :nana:

Last edited:
As I understand it, all things being equal, a properly tuned wound C, would create less tension than a properly tuned unwound C. If this is correct then it would require less pressure to fret a wound C then an unwound C. Or, would it depend upon the material's used in the unwound C ?

There is no correlation between tension and wound vs unwound. It totally depends on the unit weight of the strings in question. All we can say for sure is, at the same tension (pounds) at pitch, a wound C string will be dramatically thinner. Like .020 vs .040 in nylon. That improves intonation, harmonics, and sustain.

maybe part of the thing is perception?

Ti wound c is .27
oasis c is .30

Maybe the thinner string feels sharper than the thicker so you feel it more?

Personally, I don't feel it, cuz my callous/pads are kinda thick.

that is a nice thing about using the ti 30/27 bass and then oasis warm trebles ... the gauges are then 30/27/27/23 if you do low G

maybe part of the thing is perception?

Ti wound c is .27
oasis c is .30

Maybe the thinner string feels sharper than the thicker so you feel it more?

Personally, I don't feel it, cuz my callous/pads are kinda thick.

that is a nice thing about using the ti 30/27 bass and then oasis warm trebles ... the gauges are then 30/27/27/23 if you do low G

Which wound strings are you referring to?

Tomastik Infeld cf27 cf30. They're guitar strings, but they're fine for uke.

I have some of these in order and am looking forward to trying them on one of my Ukes. I am nervous though about using wound strings on a KoAloha since they just have the unibrace and thin tops. Are they very high tension?

I have some of these in order and am looking forward to trying them on one of my Ukes. I am nervous though about using wound strings on a KoAloha since they just have the unibrace and thin tops. Are they very high tension?

Chuck says the Tomastik are his fav woundGandC strings now....try ask him what he thinks....let me know if you like them too...I will order some...pretty sure matching them up with Oasis EandA

btw I only use a woundC string if the plain C makes a weak buzzing sound when I hit it hard....

Last edited:
So you use the cf27 for C and the cf30 for G?

Yes. the 27 stands for the string gauge which is appropriate for a wound C, and the 0.030" gauge for the low g is within the normal range for a wound low g

This is the same unibrace where the okami's have shown you can stand on the tops and it won't buckle, correct? If so, I think they can handle most strings :) I asked booli a same question and he said the tension was within a normal range for your typical uke.

This is the same unibrace where the okami's have shown you can stand on the tops and it won't buckle, correct? If so, I think they can handle most strings :) I asked booli a same question and he said the tension was within a normal range for your typical uke.

a while back Ko'aloha had troubles with their bridges...use to pull up quite often,that is why they had so many different styles of bridges in the last 10 years or so...but looking at their newer ukes now I think they have solved the problems.....I have not tried the strings yet..so not sure how the tension is.....the new 2016 Ko'alohas are the nicest ukes they have put out....IMO

I just get nervous with KoAlohas and wound strings since some of their ukes in the past were having movement of dishing or bellying on the tops and bridges lifting. Hence, I usually use PhD on KoAloha. But my Thomastik come today so I will test them on my other ukes tonight. :)

they're wound.. but they're not like.. metal. The core is still nylon.
They don't feel particularly loose or tight, but again.. I have pretty thick pad/callous so maybe I dont feel it as much.
They don't seem to induce more relief than other strings, so I'm don't think it's a problem tension wise.

But.. who knows.. maybe tomorrow my uke will explode.
God... i hope not...

I just get nervous with KoAlohas and wound strings since some of their ukes in the past were having movement of dishing or bellying on the tops and bridges lifting. Hence, I usually use PhD on KoAloha. But my Thomastik come today so I will test them on my other ukes tonight. :)

Glad to see you like the PHD strings on your KoAloha.
I ordered a set of PHD for my incoming KoAloha. PHD are on my mango, as well.

a while back Ko'aloha had troubles with their bridges...use to pull up quite often,that is why they had so many different styles of bridges in the last 10 years or so...but looking at their newer ukes now I think they have solved the problems

Do you know the years for the problem?
I am getting an Oct. 2014 sent to me now. Do you think I am in the safe zone?
Thanks

Top Bottom