Tuning a Waterman

I just wanted to add that I tuned the Watermen with the clip on tuner located at the base on the head, just under the A string tuner. There really wasn't a better place to put it--and I usually clamp right in the middle of the crown on the top of the head.

This worked better. I won't say that it is foolproof--but the A seemed to tune more easily, showing up with much less required plucking force.

[Again, in the past, "in tune" meant "sharp" to my ear, and when the string was plucked strongly, the tuner showed as such--otherwise it showed in tune when it clearly wasn't).

I'll eventually give those Martin strings a try, too.

I have a Waterman and a Snark SN-6. I'm getting good readings, or at least it seems so on initial tune up. However after a few (very few) minutes of play the second and first strings (E and A) read and sound sharp--seriously sharp. At first, I was attributing it to my unfamiliarity with nylon strings. I've played guitar for a long time but always steel strings. The ukulele is my first time to play on nylon (or whatever the material actually is). Then after thinking about it, I thought that a string contracting and going sharp while being played is unlikely, and so it's not the string. I'm hard pressed to recall whether it happens on my other ukes, but I think it does sometimes. I don't have an answer, just a similar situation I'd like to understand better.

JoeJazz,

This is exactly my experience (although the E string tunes okay for me). If I don't have sympathetic vibrations going with the other strings when tuning the A, or if I don't pluck strongly, the tuner tells me it is in tune, and it is noticeably sharp. Thank you for being able to state what my problem has been.

Putting the Snark on the A string side of the ukulele helps with tuning the A, but I am tuning 40 of them at a time, so it isn't a very convenient location.

These seem to work pretty good for $4.
And reverb puts them on special for $1 sometimes. That is a great deal for a school. Battery included.
https://reverb.com/item/204704-reverb-clip-on-tuner-limit-1

You might want to contact Reverb directly. They might give you a school discount. Worth a try.

The Reverb tuners were waiting for me when I came home. This might belong in another thread (or a topic of its own). They were shipped in a cool lunch-bag type box, each tuner having its own little square box. In the box is the tuner, directions, and a CR2032 battery.

The directions are about the worst directions ever--they don't tell you how to install the battery or how to operate the tuner. The tuner actually has multiple settings (one for ukulele), and Reverb provides a better set of directions on their website FAQ (https://reverb.com/news/reverb-tuner-faq?_aid=listingrelatedarticle)

Once you figure out how to install the battery (the Snark is easier to figure out--but in this case, just twist the back)--the tuner is really nice and a heck of a deal for $4. I compared it to my Snark SN-6 and the Fishman tuner on my UkeSB, and it seems to be more sensitive to pitch than the Snark (hard to tell versus the Fishman).

What I really like is that the tuner, if in Ukulele Mode, shows what string you are tuning. I would imagine you would need to be in the general correct range of pitch for it to read correctly.

So I contacted Reverb and asked if they would be willing to sell a ton of these to a school (110). It would be great to just leave them on the ukuleles.

Thank you, Johnson430, for the recommendation. This is a great $4 investment.

The Reverb tuners were waiting for me when I came home. This might belong in another thread (or a topic of its own). They were shipped in a cool lunch-bag type box, each tuner having its own little square box. In the box is the tuner, directions, and a CR2032 battery.

The directions are about the worst directions ever--they don't tell you how to install the battery or how to operate the tuner. The tuner actually has multiple settings (one for ukulele), and Reverb provides a better set of directions on their website FAQ (https://reverb.com/news/reverb-tuner-faq?_aid=listingrelatedarticle)

Once you figure out how to install the battery (the Snark is easier to figure out--but in this case, just twist the back)--the tuner is really nice and a heck of a deal for $4. I compared it to my Snark SN-6 and the Fishman tuner on my UkeSB, and it seems to be more sensitive to pitch than the Snark (hard to tell versus the Fishman).

What I really like is that the tuner, if in Ukulele Mode, shows what string you are tuning. I would imagine you would need to be in the general correct range of pitch for it to read correctly.

So I contacted Reverb and asked if they would be willing to sell a ton of these to a school (110). It would be great to just leave them on the ukuleles.

Awesome. You are welcome. I am so glad those worked for you.
Let us know if Reverb is able to give you the hook-up.

Thanks for that...I will keep that in mind. Right now we have no budget for new strings...and need to wear these out first. But if it really is the strings...then that will resolve the issue. I may just buy a set of new strings myself and give that a shot.

Incidentally, the strings don't seem bad--compared to the terrible strings that came with our Mahalos (which we also cannot afford to swap out).

Again...thank you for that. I have no idea why the A just won't read as it should, particularly when the G reads just fine.

We got some as well and it seems to me that the strings are aquilas. I have been tuning them a little at a time (Monday I start a uke club for the last month of the school year) when I found extra time (new baby is more important than ukes).

The ones I have gotten in tune all seem to tune fine. I have been doing the speed stretching, which has slowed me down tremendously with the tuning time (and only having one tuner that worked).

No idea, what your problem is, but have you checked the nut area to make sure it is filed to correct spot (if that makes sense).

Being of mildly advanced age, I started out with an A tuning fork to match by ear the A string, then tuning the G & E strings on the appropriate fret, the C string was then referenced to the E string.
That said it might be beneficial to the students to learn to tune the ukulele to a reference string

Kala is a big USA corporation
Kala's offices are just 1 Mile from the mobile home park I live in. They aren't big (google the street address) and have been generous in providing spaces for Ukulele related events over the years. They are now making ukuleles on site employing skilled locals. I've always been impressed with their value and durability in a hyper competitive market. I've no dog in the hunt as I play vintage Sopranos and dabble in experimental home builds.

I know they have sales occasionally for $.99 on those tuners. Can't hurt to ask right!

Being of mildly advanced age, I started out with an A tuning fork to match by ear the A string, then tuning the G & E strings on the appropriate fret, the C string was then referenced to the E string.
That said it might be beneficial to the students to learn to tune the ukulele to a reference string

Truly no offense, but that level of skill isn't going to happen with 30-50 middle school students who may or may not want to be in the class.

I'll be good if they can start tuning on their own with a tuner.

Truly no offense, but that level of skill isn't going to happen with 30-50 middle school students who may or may not want to be in the class.

I'll be good if they can start tuning on their own with a tuner.
I'm from the cities -- what school is this fun happening at?

These seem to work pretty good for $4.
And reverb puts them on special for $1 sometimes. That is a great deal for a school. Battery included.
https://reverb.com/item/204704-reverb-clip-on-tuner-limit-1

You might want to contact Reverb directly. They might give you a school discount. Worth a try.

Dragging up an old thread. I bought a couple of these, and still use them. For $4, it is hard to beat (although you can buy a Joyo off eBay for $2.70).

I contacted Reverb shortly after receiving my own, and asked if they could do school pricing, and they were willing to do so. I was looking for 100 tuners (we actually own 102 ukuleles) and that was still more than we could afford until we do fundraising this fall (something we always do). They said that they would be happy to deal with me in the fall. That's all cool.

Well, Reverb contacted me this week, where my story/request about starting a ukulele program (I am now calling it a choir/ukulele hybrid) reached other desks, and they offered me 100 tuners for free--which of course, I happily accepted. They arrived this morning.

It's amazing how many tuners fit into a single small lightweight box.

So...many thanks to Kala and Reverb for their donations to our program. Their actions make me very supportive of their companies, and you know I will tell others and spread the news. I will buy more things from both Kala and Reverb and suggest them to others.

Incidentally, I saw the new Kala Ziricote ukuleles at my local music store (Groth) and fell in love...I know what my next ukulele will be...
image.jpg

@ChoirGuy -

I just came upon some new info that might help with your uke program in the school...

You might want to contact Aquila to supply you with strings via their KIDS STRINGS program:

Aquila web site said:
Aquila kids educational ukulele strings

Aquila Corde Armoniche
has a strong belief in social responsibility and we strive to work for it every day, from social activities to environmental preservation. We are the first musical string company to have introduced two different types of nylon strings made from vegetable matter. This is one way of offering a little help in preserving a better world for future generations.

We
have also reduced the waste in our packaging by reducing the amount of plastic wrapping used on our packed sets of strings. Our continuous efforts are directed not only to preserving the environment but also towards society, especially the musical education of the young, because music shapes and brings together a positive and responsible humanity.

It has been a natural step for us to create a dedicated set of ukulele strings under the name of “kids”. This is a new set of strings for use in the education of the youngest children, where colors are notes, following an educational method in use around the world since the 1960s. The new “kids” set is made from our SUPERNYLGUT, extruded on our own machines at our Italian headquarters. Because of the balance between the strings gauges a single set will fit the soprano, concert and tenor sizes of ukulele.

The new “kids” Ukulele strings set by Aquila will be available for educational purposes only, and not via the usual retail channels. Each “kids” pack will be sold in units of twenty, forty or one hundred string sets through our worldwide distribution channel. Our wholesaler guarantees us that the strings will be sold to students for educational purposes only. The retail price of each set will be of €2.00, available to our distributors for the price of €1.00 per set.

see here:
http://aquilacorde.com/projects/6115/progetto-kids/?lang=en

Thanks, Booli! I have been out of town all week and haven't visited UU while gone. Just saw this response and immediately e-mailed Aquilla. We'll see if they get back to me. I'm not sure what the actual cost will be for a school
I'd be buying 100 sets at a time.

Top Bottom