help me choose between kala or ohana (or other!) £150 baritone please...

Cobainpain

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to get a baritone just to try the different scale, tuning and sound. I currently play a solid cedar top omega zedro tenor which I love so I'm looking for something that will give me a contrasting tone that's not too similar to my tenor.

I've ruled out the cheaper makala/kala laminates and am looking at a solid top. I only have a budget of around £100 to £150. I live in a small village in the middle of nowhere, a ferry ride and nearly 2 hours drive from the only store that carries a decent uke selection so trying before I buy is out of the question.

I'm considering a Kala KA-SBG solid spruce top for £130

Or a Ohana BK20 solid mahogany top for £150

(I did try adding links but it wouldn't accept them)

Which would be the best buy do you think that would give me a good contrast to my cedar top tenor?

Just to confuse things further I've also looked at a second hand all solid mahogany Bruko baritone which is a little further out of my price range at about £180.

It has to be available for delivery in the UK, if you were me, what would you buy? Are there any other makes or models that I've missed out?

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

Likely mahogany would give a deeper rounder tone on a baritone.

I don't have a baritone, not my size, but I do have & like my Kalas.

Why not look for them being played on Youtube to get an idea of how they sound.
(It's what I do when I'm considering a new uke via the internet).

I've tried but can't find any clips of the bk20, plenty of the all mahogany model but pretty much none of the mahogany top model. I'm thinking mahogany will be my best option.

Tonal preference is a very personal thing and changing sizes of ukes and tuning really makes things different.

I have an all mahogany baritone and a spruce top mahogany back and sides baritone. If you are primarliy a strummer I find the mahogany too muddy and dull sounding, finger picked or chord melody it is nice. The spruce top does everything well....."for ME and my preference". It is bright enough for strumming.

The spruce top Kala gets great reviews from HMS. Jump on their website and have a listen.

Thanks for that. I've heard mahogany strummed and I do see your point but I think that may have decided it for me.

I'm increasingly finger picking these days and my cedar top is quite bright for strumming so mahogany could be a good alternative.

I also play with an acoustic guitarist and again, I think the mahogany will be a little more complementary where as I think the spruce would be a little too much of a match with the guitar. I tend to pick melodies while my wife strums pretty simple rhythms on her guitar.

I really appreciate your comments, and it looks like I'm 95% won on the mahogany top.

Here's a review of the Ohana BK20, it's the third instrument. First one is the Kala solid acacia bari, second is the Ohana solid mahogany BK35, both of which are above your budget. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4o72Cix6Ck

Here's the Ohana BK20 cutaway with a pickup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlCgm1Luzlk

I don't think you'd be unhappy with that Kala. Their solid spruce topped models usually sound very good for the money. RE: mahogany top, I had the Cordoba version of that Ohana cutaway and it was way too bright with Aquila strings for my tastes. I put a set of mellow low g's on it, so mahogany does not always equal lack of brightness.

Last edited:
I listened to all I could, read all I could and made a decision. I have been emailing a guy at the shop I bought my previous ukes at that stocked both and he was happy to let me order, see how I got on and return it for a trade or refund if I wasn't happy in the first 7 days.

They're a great store with excellent service so I didn't think I could go wrong either way. I ordered the ohana bk20 yesterday afternoon and by 10 this morning it was in my hands!

Mahogany was the perfect choice, it looks quite plain but it sounds fantastic. Round, bassy and warm but also plenty bright enough. It never sounds woolly or boxy which was my worry. Its a really lovely instrument and they set it up exactly as I asked. I'm surprised how nice it sounds considering its at the lower end of the market, my dad has an all solid body mahogany tenor and the ohana sounds much cleaner and more defined. I'm already falling in love with richness of a baritone.

I've now just got to get used to the quirks of the baritone (non re entrant, 2 metal strings and all the different chord names). The chords are actually driving me nuts.. If I see a G, F or whatever, I instantly play the GCEA version. I'm not sure whether I'll ever get my head around that!

Thanks for your input, I'm a very happy man.

Congrats on your purchase! I too have the BK20 and find it quite nice to play. Great Uke for the price. Enjoy!

Thanks WCbarnes, it really is a joy to play, so rich and resonant. I've played much cheaper and much pricier ukes than this and I really am surprised at how well it play, sounds and is finished for the price. I can't imagine how nice the full solid body mahogany Ohana's sound.

So far I'm really struggling to relearn all the chord names and positions but I'm sure it'll come in time (I hope....)

I have this uke, too, and i absolutely love how it sounds and plays. I have the same baritone issues as you. So I mostly play at home, not with my group, and use the shapes I know. Pretend it's gcea.

Congrats on your new baby! Now we need pics!

Top Bottom