Strings

padlin

Reaction score
A few questions.

What is the difference between concert and tenor strings? if they fit can they be interchanged? I ask because I have a set of Concert Aquila's, they are plenty long for a tenor.

My Pono came with a wound C string, not used to the zip you get when sliding along the string. Can someone tell me the pros and cons of mono vs wound? I've had Aquila's on my Luna and I know no others.

Last question, can you purchase just a low G string? My Luna has 2 week old strings on it, I'd like to try it with a low G just to see how it sounds.

Check the manufacturer's web site for string gauges. I've found that _some_ tenor and concert strings of the same brand and type are the same gauge for all four strings. The only difference was the length. This can be useful when the only set listed is tenor and you have a concert (or perhaps the other way if the concert strings are long enough).

A wound string should be more flexible than a mono. YMMV.

Yes, I have seen single low G strings listed. Here is one retailer: http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/uke...h_return=all&Catalognxtcategory=Single+String

Good luck.

I'd recommend the Fremont Soloist wound low G. It can be purchased from Elderly.

+1. This is probably one of the easiest single low-G strings to track down and, although wound, is fairly low 'zip'. The advantage to using wound strings over mono is that they are typically narrower. Thick strings can sound thuddy. Also an unwound low-G can be so thick as to require an adjustment of the nut slot to accommodate it.

I added Aquila Red Low G strings to my ukes with Aquila Nylgut strings, (but prefer to use Living Water Low G (flourocarbon) string sets on my others). :)

Easy answer yes you can interchange strings for different size ukuleles no matter what some purists, know it alls or the bored will tell you.

General rule is putting a smaller uke strings on the next size up will lower the tension while putting a larger ukuleles string on a smaller uke will raise the tension of the strings.

Many string sets are rated as soprano/concert strings anyhow. certain ukuleles with plastic saddles or plastic fret boards will now fair well with wound strings. Im a fan of Aquila reds which will never be used as fishing line.

~AL~

D'Adarrio Carbons Low G are pretty cool too and all monofiliment. PhD's are about the same but smaller dia. Fremont Black lines are nice too. I've spent over $80 on strings in the last year because I don't care for Aquila's sound all that much. I buy most of my strings at my local Uke store, because they let me play with the high priced Ukes when I go in there. ;-)

Top Bottom