Oasis Smooth Wound Low G first try.

Doc_J

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Oasis strings, and recently tried their Smooth Wound low g string, Warm version.
Oasis introduced the Smooth Wound Low G string made with a nylon core and with a phosphor bronze wrap at the 2015 NAMM show. The smooth wound low G is supposed to reduce or eliminate string noise and give a mellow tone.

Put them on my Koa Works tenor about 6-days ago.
Here's a sound sample:
https://app.box.com/s/jxpgsokeqjv4fooktanmf4cuh049ois1

My thoughts:

1. The smooth-wound low g string felt much stiffer and less flexible while stringing and playing (compared to other low g strings like regular Oasis wound strings, Fremont Soloist, Aquila, etc.).
  2. Took significant longer ( days ) to settle in and get to good tone and volume level.
  3. Wasn't as squeakless as I thought smooth wounds should be. Actually, it was noisier than regular Oasis silver-wound low g strings. Go figure?
  4. It does have a more mellow tone, a bit too mellow for me, a little muted.

I like sound of this smooth-wound, but not as much as the regular version. If you had an over-powering low-g tone, this would be a good solution for more balance via mellowing. But on a fairly balanced uke, I'd stick with the regular Oasis wound strings or a Fremont Soloist. Also, note the smooth wound g about doubles the price of the Oasis strings sets.

Anybody else try these?

Last edited:
I tried them and wasn't very impressed. Oasis Brights are my favorite strings, and I definitely prefer their original wound low G string.

I didn't really care for it when I tried it.
I think it might be bias though. It looks so similar to a soloist, I expected it to be like a soloist. But it's not really.

Also.. I was trying out the T-I's about the same time.. and liked those better than the oasis, so in my head.. it was bottom of the barrel by comparison. In a vaccuum it's probably fine, but back to back, it felt.. like a let down.

Also.. I had problems with the ends unwinding. It seemed to want to unwind more than the others. Id snip it off, and then find a bit more.. and then I couldn't snip any more and would have to look at the core. Maybe that was just bad luck though.

I share your opinion on that string Doc. I think you'd really like the Thomastik-Infeld CF30. And for a real treat swap the C string for a T-I CF27. Keep in mind these strings have whipped ends that need to be cut off before installing.

I tried the Oasis smooth wound "WARM" and I was not a big fan of it either. I then tried the Oasis smooth wound "BRIGHT" and I liked that one much better. The warm is. 033" in diameter and the bright is. 030 which is the same as the Fremont soloist. Fremont stills wins but it is closer.

Simon has the Oasis brights with the smooth wound low G on his new100th anniversary Kamaka long neck tenor and I liked the sound and playability.

Last edited:
I share your opinion on that string Doc. I think you'd really like the Thomastik-Infeld CF30. And for a real treat swap the C string for a T-I CF27. Keep in mind these strings have whipped ends that need to be cut off before installing.

Thanks for the recommendations Chuck. I've been looking for a better alternative for a wound C, too.
Definitely going to try these.

I recently installed a full set of Thomastik-Infeld classical strings on my Cordoba Mini. I love them - very mellow, really even balance across the set. I also use their mandolin strings - feel excellent on the fingers.

Hodge, I had much the same response to the Oasis smooth wound low g. I was surprised at how much noise it had on sliding and, like you, I found it a bit too stiff to my taste.
I'm back and forth now between Oasis warm with Soloist Low g, and Southcoast Light Medium Linears with smooth wound bass on my own Koa Works tenor and on my Moore Bettah.

Thanks for the recommendations Chuck. I've been looking for a better alternative for a wound C, too.
Definitely going to try these.

I use T-I's CF27 on a concert for C, with a Fremont Soloist low G and Living Waters E and A. I've been very happy with that set, but might try the CF30 as a low G. I think the Fremont is the quieter of the two wound strings, but the CF27 doesn't bother me.

+1 on the Thomastik-Infield, great strings!

I use T-I's CF27 on a concert for C, with a Fremont Soloist low G and Living Waters E and A. I've been very happy with that set, but might try the CF30 as a low G. I think the Fremont is the quieter of the two wound strings, but the CF27 doesn't bother me.

I have had several Ukes with this setup except Savarez for the E and A. The wound C is really ideal for a concert scale and seems to remove some of the thuddyness you can experience with some Fluor C's.

Top Bottom