Seasons of the Ukulele 220 - The Rhinestone Cowboy

BigDaddyUker

Reaction score

This is basically exactly what the intro vid says...I am horrible at intro vids...totally boring...plus I said 221, its really 220.

I find that hosting the Seasons is kind of like Open Mic night. Some acts are easier to follow than others and we have had a string of tremendous seasons.

Personally, there have been a lot of seasons that i didn’t step up to the challenge for whatever reason but the one thing that I find with the seasons is that I always learn something. So although not a free for all, I hope that this weeks theme leads to learn something about this artist and his life as he has had a tremendous career but his share of struggles.

So I have been wanting to do this for awhile and even though it feels like Prince would be the obvious choice, Seasons of the Ukulele 220 is all about Glen Campbell.

Glen’s recording career stretches from his first album in 1962 through his last in 2011 and even completed his good bye tour in 2012 where he performed around 108 shows with the documentary about his career, life and current struggle with Alzheimers.

If you are not a Glen fan, he was a session guitarist for for Phil Spector, the Beach Boys, replaced Brian Wilson for a stretch, Frank Sinatra, Righteous Brothers, the Monkees, Elvis, Bobby Darin, Lou Rawls, Ricky Nelson, Merle Haggard and Bobby Vee to name a few. He also covered a ton of songs from his favorite artists as tributes to them (including U2 Wim…lol).

The rules are simple:

1. Don’t post until you should.
  2. Ukulele must be present.
  3. Do it as simple or fancy as you want.
  4. Mention the current season somehow.
  5. Unlimited songs.
  6. Any song that Glenn wrote, sang or was involved in somehow.
  7. When you post the song, please post a little factoid or something about Glen as it relates to the song…was it an original…a cover…from his tv or acting career etc.

Prizes…

I will pick 3 songs and award you with a $15 Amazon Gift Card. These will be 3 songs that for whatever reason hit me one way or the other…Sometimes I know why, sometimes I don’t.

For this season you should not have a problem finding however many songs that you want to post. However, my hopes are that if you are not a fan of Glen or really don’t know anything about him, that this is yet another seasonal opportunity to learn something.

I would also encourage you to watch the documentary. It really is an incredible story. I don’t know if it was in there, but I seen a clip from a an interview or the documentary where Glen basically didn’t know his name, suddenly asked for his guitar and started ripping out songs like there was nothing wrong. The amazing power of music.

Have fun with the season…I won’t get tired of hearing the classics. Rhinestone Cowboy. Southern Nights. Wichita Lineman. By the Time I Get to Phoenix. Galveston. Bring it on!!!!

PLAYLIST

You're right. This will be a learning opportunity. I know absolutely nothing about Glen Campbell.

Im excited about this week BDU. I have watched the doc several times and it is very moving and impressive. He is amazingly talented.

David, Great theme!! Look forward to it. (I'll have to figure out what Wrecking Crew songs he played on, too!)

An excellent theme - Glen Campbell is one of the greats. Here's a tribute song written and sung by his daughter Ashley ~

This should prove an interesting Season David. I have a question. John Hartford authored some of Glen's songs. He also was a regular on the various Glenn Campbell TV shows. John died of Non-Hodgkin lymphoma in 2001. He performed up till the and and in his last year suffered from some form of dementia or other. Are covers of songs John did on the Glenn Campbell Show and The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour eligible?

You're right. This will be a learning opportunity. I know absolutely nothing about Glen Campbell.

I don't think you will have any problems finding music within your liking but I would encourage you to listen to some of his classics that I mentioned. You can check out The Wrecking Crew - this was a group of Session Guitarists - there is a documentary also about the Wrecking Crew. Good Luck...lots of rabbits holes...HAVE FUN.

This should prove an interesting Season David. I have a question. John Hartford authored some of Glen's songs. He also was a regular on the various Glenn Campbell TV shows. John died of Non-Hodgkin lymphoma in 2001. He performed up till the and and in his last year suffered from some form of dementia or other. Are covers of songs John did on the Glenn Campbell Show and The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour eligible?

So the John Hartford Memorial Festival is going on in and around the Nashville area the same weekend as UWC. I am going to try and go on Saturday for a little bit if you would like to join me. Gentle on My Mind is one of my favorite songs.

I don't think you will have any problems finding music within your liking but I would encourage you to listen to some of his classics that I mentioned. You can check out The Wrecking Crew - this was a group of Session Guitarists - there is a documentary also about the Wrecking Crew. Good Luck...lots of rabbits holes...HAVE FUN.

Yep. Already found one song that is right in my wheelhouse. If I have time after that, I'll start getting more adventurous. I have a feeling Tiffany will be more familiar with his stuff, too, so we'll have a bit of a brainstorm when she gets home.

To your original question...if it was a song that Glen wrote, sang or otherwise had his hand in...I am fine with it.

Yep. Already found one song that is right in my wheelhouse. If I have time after that, I'll start getting more adventurous. I have a feeling Tiffany will be more familiar with his stuff, too, so we'll have a bit of a brainstorm when she gets home.

His influences are found everywhere...foo fighters, green day...all sorts!

Yes. After your comment on the anticipation thread, I knew what you were going to do. I just didn't want to spill it prematurely.

Damn harry122...even the bullshit story about flight 722 which was a real flight didn't change his mind...

Great theme, David! Those that are unfamiliar with Glen Campbell are in for a real treat!

Top Bottom