K-1 v. K-3 Tenor Purchase

Threeputt

Reaction score
I've been getting on UU for a while now and usually find the answers I am looking for but I figured for the first time I would throw a question out to everyone.

First a little background- I've been playing for just over a year with no previous music experience. I started with a $100 uke and soon another, mainly learning on Youtube videos and UU. Since then I decided I really enjoyed learning the Ukulele and began taking formal lessons.

I remember reading on this site somewhere where someone said you can buy several uke's over the years or just save the money and buy a high quality one. I know this philosophy probably isn't for everyone but it makes sense to me. For me a high-end uke in my budget (at the top) is a K-brand or similar. The more expensive custom uke's would not be in my budget.

I live in Kansas where you can't find a ukulele store that I know of to try them out and see what you like. The closest stores that I know of are in Oklahoma City and Denver.
A couple of months ago, I had the opportunity
to travel to a music store that had a large selection of quality uke's.
They carried about every brand I know of and it wasn't until I strummed a Kamaka and a Kanile'a they had before I was really taken back by the clarity of sound.
It must have been the Koa- I don't know, but they really sounded a step above the others, even the Martin's they had.

So-after all of the research I've done I'm pretty firm on a Kanile'a for my next and possibly last purchase.

So my question is-

Is a K-3 tenor worth the extra money over a K-1?

I know this may sound trivial to some but to a newbie it can be a difficult question. They are basically the same uke with the K-3 just being more embellished.

I found a K-3 for just under $1,500 and boy is it pretty. I just don't know if that's a smart buy when I can get a K-1 for around $1,000 or less.
For me-paying $1,000 or $1,500 for something you're still not very good at seems kinda silly and $1,500 is a little pinch to the budget. But on the other hand if I get "the one" it could likely be the last one I buy.

I guess I'm curious what those that have been around for a while would do if you were in my situation. Any insight would be helpful-

Thx-

If I had the money, I would go for the K-3. Knowing me, I would absolutely love the K-1 to death, but I would regret not getting the K-3. I'm a sucker for nice Koa. Look at it this way, how could the K-1 be "the one" if you're thinking of getting the prettier K-3? Seems to me like the K-3 is your one.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother with pretty koa, I'd get the K-1. But I'm weird like that. If you like the K-3 and can afford it, you should buy it.

Id go for k-1. I just got it and its really beautiful

I can only speak for myself, but I would get the K1 with the Premium koa upgrade. It's cheaper than a K3 and to me, would be more beautiful. But that's just my opinion.

I'd play them a lot and pick the one that sounded the best. Sorry to say but i am sure that there are great K1's and great K3's just like there are not so great K1's and K3's. If you really are picking the one, play a few and there will be one that sings your tune, take that one regardless of trim level...

I'd play them a lot and pick the one that sounded the best. Sorry to say but i am sure that there are great K1's and great K3's just like there are not so great K1's and K3's. If you really are picking the one, play a few and there will be one that sings your tune, take that one regardless of trim level...

I live in a not-small city and would be lucky to find one Kanile'a to play. It sounds like his situation might be even worse than mine. For some of us, you either take a trip to Hawaii or you order from a reputable dealer and hope for the best.

You are correct, The only K-brand ukulele's I've seen are the ones I saw a couple of months ago. I was lucky enough to have a store e-mail me some audio clips
of the two that I mentioned. The K-3 seemed to me to be just slightly more clear but compared to what I'm playing now both would be far and away superior. I will have to put a lot of trust into the store and people selling whatever I end up with.

I have a K1-T Deluxe with UV Gloss Finish. It is really no different than a K3 except for bling and wood that really isn't any "better" as far as tonal quality. Honestly my Koa looks just as good as K3 to me, and Kanilea makes such great ukes with their style of bracing, that I would get the K1 and save the money. Then again if you are big into looks you need to go with the K3. Now I almost bought a custom slotted headstock Kanilea but the price was WAY up there, so I didn't do it since I had the K1 and figured it sounds so great, I'm really not going to gain anything but another Kanilea with a slotted headstock ;-)

If you can get your hands on one to play or get a "try it for X days guarantee" on a used one in excellent condition, I'd go for that. End of the day, Kanilea makes a fantastic uke. I bought mine years ago so I paid much less brand new than they cost today....early adopters get the worm.

You won't go wrong with either decision...it's only your money :)

You are correct, The only K-brand ukulele's I've seen are the ones I saw a couple of months ago. I was lucky enough to have a store e-mail me some audio clips
of the two that I mentioned. The K-3 seemed to me to be just slightly more clear but compared to what I'm playing now both would be far and away superior. I will have to put a lot of trust into the store and people selling whatever I end up with.

Strings make a HUGE difference on any uke and my K1 T Deluxe is no different. I have video on my Youtube channel with my K1 and all metal strings if you really want to hear something unique...so the sounds is so different with various sets you can get any tone you want....bright, mellow, metal, it really responds well to many different strings. I never fully trust Internet Audio unless you know something was recorded on very good digital equipment and even then if you don't have good monitors to hear it with, regular computer speakers never do it justice. I had Living Waters, Savarez and Oasis.... but the D'Addario Titanium T2's made mine sing big time. I don't usually like those on most my ukes but it really works well for me on this uke.

I was shocked actually as my results on a lot of my ukes with T2's are not that great....so you never know what a string set will do until you try it.

Thank you all for the replies, there has been a lot of good advice given which is what I was looking for.

Since I can't go out and play any for myself, I believe I am going to set a budget and find the best one I can within that budget from reputable dealers. Using the sound of the instrument and not the appearance as the determining factor. Hopefully the dealers will work with me on this.
Thanks again-

Top Bottom