Low G for Kanile'a K1-T

jlfinkels

Reaction score
As I posted in a different thread I would like to put a low G set on my uke, but want to get a low G that fits the existing nut. I would prefer not to take a file to this lovely instrument if possible to widen the nut. I realize many ukes of the same make and model will have variations, just trying to reduce the need for mucking about with it.

So, any out there with a Kanile'a K1-T tenor with a low G that did not require surgery? If so what strings did you use?

The unwound Aquila Red Low G is .43.
A Fremont soloist squeak-less Wound Low G is .30

i believe a wound Low G will always have a smaller diameter than an un-wound.

Did a store do a setup on the uke for you? Some places in their setup process will prep the nut to accept a low G in case you want to swap in the future.
If a setup was done, check with them... you might already be good to go.

As you seem a little worried about fit, go & buy a single Aquile red Low G string & try it - it only costs £2.95 including postage.

(Just release your present high G string & take it off, if it doesn't work, you can just re use the string.)

I have a K1 Deluxe UV gloss tenor. I use the Fremont Soloist polished, squeakless, wound low G. For me it's one the best balanced low G strings in the market for wound 4ths. No severe droning sound like some low G's sound like. Seems to work well on every one of my tenors. Can't say that about the trebles..all different sets on my Ukes. You can find singles easily on the Internet. I think you can even order them from Mike at Uke Republic as I believe he is a Fremont dealer. I seem to remember that when I was in his shop a few weeks ago, but I saw so much there I could be wrong. I did not need to make any adjustments.

Last edited:
the Freemont seem expensive , but they seem to last a long time and don't unravel as quickly.I like them but I have been using pro-arte classical D strings. I play a lot and they polish up nicely with use. I have not had to modify to use them and they even fit the slotted bridge of my Collings.

Yeah, no problems on my end using low G of various makes on my Kanile'a, no modifications needed.

But if it helps, remember the nut isn't really what the good folks at Kanile'a created. They made the uke— then just put that nut and some strings on it. You could change the nut 100 times over, and the soul of your beautiful Kanile'a would remain intact. :)

Yeah, no problems on my end using low G of various makes on my Kanile'a, no modifications needed.

But if it helps, remember the nut isn't really what the good folks at Kanile'a created. They made the uke— then just put that nut and some strings on it. You could change the nut 100 times over, and the soul of your beautiful Kanile'a would remain intact. :)

Excellent information! I'm used to a fiddle where messing with the nut can be significant. Thanks!

yea, but some nuts are better than others[and more expensive]:biglaugh:

Personally use a low G Living Water string on my K1T - and no nut adjustment was required.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I took a very fine round file and opened the string slot the tiniest bit. The string now fits and everything is back in tune.

Top Bottom