Duke banjo uke announcement

pointpergame

Reaction score
A couple days ago I had a peek at this New Zealand uke company's offering. I had seen an almost identical one selling for somewhere between $150 - $200 and thought I'd have another look and...POOF! it was gone. That is, I couldn't find it here on the UU. I Did find it, over on the mandolin cafe in the banjo classified section ( odd that it's not here ).
I'd be curious about the opinions of the UU group. It's offered at roughly double the price of the Sidekick. The new model has geared tuners, an armrest, and a pickup...and the new moniker: Duke. Also...it's a touch unclear to me --- nobody but myself to blame --- if their intro price is for a model that is actually in production yet. you can search duke banjo uke and find it, I think.

These banjo-ukes are being built in New Zealand and are the successor to the China-built SideKick. Am planning on getting one as my grand-daughter has been eyeing my SideKick for quite a while.

So sorry for making a false assumption about URL's and findability.

This is the URL I found on the MandolinCafe and it takes me there:
www.dukeuke.com

Actually, I don't know the company's name. But the product appears to be "the Duke Banjouke"

These banjo-ukes are being built in New Zealand and are the successor to the China-built SideKick. Am planning on getting one as my grand-daughter has been eyeing my SideKick for quite a while.

I would think that they are assembled in New Zealand rather than built here. The neck and body appear to be identical to the sidekick which is built in, and ships from China.

Hi Everyone,
I’m Ed Ackman in Russell, New Zealand. I’m the owner of BanjoUke and DUKE.
Our story is brief. We were manufacturing in China and as we had QC concerns (about the process, rather than the end results) we decided to bring manufacturing to where we could have total control - right here in New Zealand. We’re launching with an advanced new model and a new name, DUKE, but it’s still us. We’ll be sending the first DUKEs out in November.
As for components, we use the best, and they’re from everywhere - US, Italy, Canada, China and New Zealand. It’s an international instrument in an international world.
The price (US$359 special pre-release offer) reflects the quality of the instrument and its components. A total bargain we believe!
If you go to www.dukeuke.com and have a look at the pages for specs and our special offer, it’ll give you the full story.
I’m here at ed@dukeuke.com for any and all questions.
Cheers,
Ed

Ed,

There appear to be some Sidekicks on sale on eBay...what additional features will the Duke have compared to the Sidekick (e.g. The Duke has a hand rest)?

Thanks for any info you are willing to provide!

Chris

I considered one a while ago - I am sure they offered concert size at that time - but went with a Firefly in the end.
Several people here bought the original version as a bulk buy and were very happy with them. A guy in our group has one and then bought the Sidekick tenor. It is VERY LOUD and seems a little harsh to me but that may just be the way he plays it.

Be interesting to see what the new Dukes are like.

Ed,

There appear to be some Sidekicks on sale on eBay...what additional features will the Duke have compared to the Sidekick (e.g. The Duke has a hand rest)?

Thanks for any info you are willing to provide!

Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks for asking.
Please have a look on www.dukeuke.com All the pics on the first page are of features that the SideKick does not have. If you listen to the demo, the second clip is the DUKE as an electric. We believe that is a first in an instrument like this, and gives it a surprising range.
Hope you’d like to order, we are offering a limited price special at the moment.
Cheers,
Ed

Hi Katz,
Thanks for your post.
We have a new drum on the DUKE to give it a more mellow tone.
If you visit www.dukeuke.com there is a demo clip which shows this clearly.
I’m a Firefly fan too. They make a fine, and innovative, instrument.
All the best,
Ed

I'd be interested in one of these were it not for the headstock shape - it reminds me too much of the cartoon of Woody Woodpecker - and I just can't get past it....

oh well...:(

Never though of that - Woody Woodpecker. We thought it looked a lot like a lightning bolt. Just goes to show!

No worries.

Mind you I was not putting it down, but just saying that it's appearance was not for me. I prefer a simpler headstock shape, maybe with rounded corners. I'm too boring - LOL.

However, I'm sure that there are many more folks that will be interested and that I am in the minority.

Good luck with everything...:music:

Top Bottom