Silver Wattyl

robinboyd

Reaction score
I recently cleared my block of land and created a LOT of firewood, but there was one silver wattle tree (a close relative of the Tasmanian blackwood) in particular that had the most beautiful heartwood I've ever seen. Colours ranged from reds to browns to yellows. It was just gorgeous. Unfortunately, we have to have the block cleared by next week so that we can build our house, so I didn't have time to explore any options other than chopping it up for firewood. It's a real shame... It would have made a beautiful ukulele.

Last edited:
Oops. I meant to put this in uke talk. I don't know how it got here. If a moderator could move it, I'd be very grateful.

Here is someone else's silver wattle uke. The tree that we cut down looked soooo much nicer, though :iwant:

Silver Wattle Uke.jpg

Perhaps mine was black wattle. In any case it was gorgeous, and such a shame to cut it up.

I've never seen or heard of that wood. maybe you can save a few log stumps of it for later, maybe enough to make a soprano?

How short are the cuts for the firewood? if they are at least a foot long, you should have enough to make a soprano body and neck, no?

I'll see how I go next weekend. We have to have it all clear by then, and if a couple of the last logs happen to be from that tree, I might see if I can save them.

Top Bottom