Dealing with pain

I'm a bit reluctant to take part in this discussion publicly because I've gotten some heat in the past for choosing an alternate, or common sense route, rather than a traditional one. When I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis several years ago it threatened to end my career as an uke builder and change my life as I knew it forever. Every joint of my body was wracked with severe pain. One doctor even advised me to start shopping for wheel chairs because he was doubtful I'd be walking in a year. I took that as a challenge.
Joint pain is caused by inflammation, which happens to be the cause of many of our modern diseases. So do some research on anti inflammatory diets. There's a huge amount of information available. Supplements like omega three oils, turmeric and ginger, glucosamine, vitamin D, are just a few natural daily additions to your diet that can be helpful. I underwent a total dietary change, eliminated the processed foods and refined sugars from my diet. The moment that really turned my life around was when I discovered that eating foods that raised my body's PH eliminated most of my pain within days. Foods that raise the body's PH are raw foods and fermented foods, like kimchee and sauerkraut. We all know the kinds of foods we should eat and those we should avoid. By changing my diet I have pretty much reversed my disease without the use of medications. It's worth trying, it's worked for me. And without medication. (Accupuncture has also worked for me in relieving pain albeit temporarily.)

BTW, the person who opened my eyes on this subject is a medical doctor. He also happens to be an ukulele fanatic and a good customer of mine. Many of you know him or have met him during his travels around the world and the country and he's always happy to play for you at an airport, restaurant, ukulele cruise or wherever you happen to run into him. He's one of the most loving and caring people I have been blessed in my life to know. Although not his specialty, his sharing of his knowledge and wisdom with me about pain and inflammatory diseases gave me my life back. If you are willing to put some effort into it you can manage,reduce or even reverse you pain. I am not suggesting that change. in diet and lifestyle, including stress management, are the only was to address this issue but it works for me.

Good luck and the best of health to all of you. Life's too short to live it in pain. I hope you find a way that works for you.

you must be on subsidized insurance. beer is much cheaper for me. seriously though, pain is no fun, sometimes my arthritis is so bad it hurts to play. i do it anyway, probably not smart. pain is your bodies way of telling you something is wrong.

My arthritis is in my hips and in my neck. It's painful sometimes to look at my fretting hand, especially on the banjos.
It's also difficult to look back when I'm driving, and I use a hiking staff or a cane if I'm taking a long walk or at the mall.

And lately my hands have started to become temporarily but painfully paralyzed. I don't know why yet, but it's scary. Ain't old age fun? I wonder what's next . . .

Last edited:
I also suffer pain daily with PMR. For me medication works and enables me to function, others have success using natural remedies or diet changes. The important thing to remember is that we are all different and what works for me may not work for others. Travel the road that works for YOU.

Sometimes going to doctors is a pain in itself. Most do not listen in my experience. I have been suffering for years and have yet to find a doctor who seems to care enough to try to diagnose what may be going on in my situation. They act like I'm a hypochondriac or say menopause or just LOSE WEIGHT. Losing weight when you feel like, um, well you know, is darned HARD. I've seen many a doc. I do however like the new eye doc I'm seeing. Nice guy that listens. Getting a test soon for Sjogren's disease. Chuck is so right about the inflammation and I AM working on change. Essential oils have actually helped quite a bit. Guess I need to try the PH. Gosh but I do hate fermented foods though, so far! But if it actually works it would be better than the pain, lol :) Good day to you all. BTW anyone else notice that people are driving just CRAZY today. What is it....the blue moon or something!

I have played instruments since I was six. My main instrument is piano, but guitars, ukes, accordion and tuba are also played frequently. Playing instruments is a physical activity. It is crucial to train endurance, playing position, muscles, breathing etc etc. So what do I do? I swim one thousand meters each day of the week. I have made it a priority. To be able to keep up my piano playing on a pro level at my age (52) I need that exercise even more than the actual instrument practice. So far, I have avoided pain altogether, and my arms and shoulders always find a relaxed position while playing. It's a good thing, and I feel privileged.

Chuck is right!

Find and cut out foods that cause inflammation. look them up, see if cutting them out of your diet does anything for you. Big offenders are grains, sugar, dairy, chemicals and additives. I cut out nightshade plants like tomatoes and white potatoes and reduced my hand and joint pain by about 90%. I can't handle sodium benzoate, I had to figure that out on my own 30 years ago. You do a trial where you cut the food out for a week at minimum, then introduce it by itself and wait to see what happens. If nothing, go on to the next.

Find the foods that fight inflammation and add them to your diet.

We don't, as a nation! get enough magnesium, so try supplementing 200-400mg of magnesium glycinate a day (the most absorbable form and least irritating to the gastrointestinal tract). I thought I was going to need back surgery, my lower back would go into spasm so bad I couldn't get off the floor. 400mg a day fixed that, also no more restless leg syndrome or foot cramps. It also reduces anxiety. If I eat a lot of grain, and I have gluten issues, my hands swell and hurt and I gain weight overnight and get headaches.

You might have some food or environmental sensitivities. I inherited a ton of allergy genes so I have a lot of sensitivities, but it took me until a few years ago to realize my postnasal drip was caused by dairy. Cut the dairy (butter is okay for me) and zero snot. I can't handle very much natural gas (heaters or gas stoves) or petroleum distilates, so gasoline, exhaust, perfumes, etc. make me feel ill.

Move, stretch, walk, be active. Just gentle stretching 20-30 minutes a day can make a big difference. We sit way too much.

I am using Jamie Andreas' Guitar Principals (it works for ukulele too) to learn correct form and become aware of and release tension, in order to reduce strain and because correct form makes for better playing. It's reasonable and intelligently and precisely presented.

I have had most doctors dismiss me for stuff that later, when doctors got smarter and foods and chemicals and environmental triggers were tested, was accepted as a real and valid concern. Hellllooooo. I had figured out years ago from reading the leading edge of nutrition etc. what the medical community is just starting to accept.

These days it's still mostly "Yeah yeah here take this pill, or stop taking that one that works for you because I don't like it". When I found the rare doctor who listened without their ego, I didn't have trouble getting help. I was walking around with several broken vertebrae because the doctor I saw at the time didn't assess me correctly and dismissed me. So they healed badly. I have a smart woman doctor now that I really like. I can ask an intelligent question and get an intelligent answer. Hallelujah.

"Jamie Andreas' Guitar Principals"

I see 2 books on Amazon, and am wondering which one you recommend?

Thanks to all for the various ideas.

For those concerned that people might not go to a doctor if needed, maybe we can look at this as preventative measures vs. trying to treat something. If we can prevent pain in the first place, all the better.

Chuck is right!

Find and cut out foods that cause inflammation. look them up, see if cutting them out of your diet does anything for you. Big offenders are grains, sugar, dairy, chemicals and additives. I cut out nightshade plants like tomatoes and white potatoes and reduced my hand and joint pain by about 90%. I can't handle sodium benzoate, I had to figure that out on my own 30 years ago. You do a trial where you cut the food out for a week at minimum, then introduce it by itself and wait to see what happens. If nothing, go on to the next.

Find the foods that fight inflammation and add them to your diet.

We don't, as a nation! get enough magnesium, so try supplementing 200-400mg of magnesium glycinate a day (the most absorbable form and least irritating to the gastrointestinal tract). I thought I was going to need back surgery, my lower back would go into spasm so bad I couldn't get off the floor. 400mg a day fixed that, also no more restless leg syndrome or foot cramps. It also reduces anxiety. If I eat a lot of grain, and I have gluten issues, my hands swell and hurt and I gain weight overnight and get headaches.

You might have some food or environmental sensitivities. I inherited a ton of allergy genes so I have a lot of sensitivities, but it took me until a few years ago to realize my postnasal drip was caused by dairy. Cut the dairy (butter is okay for me) and zero snot. I can't handle very much natural gas (heaters or gas stoves) or petroleum distilates, so gasoline, exhaust, perfumes, etc. make me feel ill.

Move, stretch, walk, be active. Just gentle stretching 20-30 minutes a day can make a big difference. We sit way too much.

I am using Jamie Andreas' Guitar Principals (it works for ukulele too) to learn correct form and become aware of and release tension, in order to reduce strain and because correct form makes for better playing. It's reasonable and intelligently and precisely presented.

I have had most doctors dismiss me for stuff that later, when doctors got smarter and foods and chemicals and environmental triggers were tested, was accepted as a real and valid concern. Hellllooooo. I had figured out years ago from reading the leading edge of nutrition etc. what the medical community is just starting to accept.

These days it's still mostly "Yeah yeah here take this pill, or stop taking that one that works for you because I don't like it". When I found the rare doctor who listened without their ego, I didn't have trouble getting help. I was walking around with several broken vertebrae because the doctor I saw at the time didn't assess me correctly and dismissed me. So they healed badly. I have a smart woman doctor now that I really like. I can ask an intelligent question and get an intelligent answer. Hallelujah.

You couldn't be more right Teek. It sounds like we've been on similar paths.
I believe I've developed my sensitivities as a result to long exposure to lacquers, solvents and other things related to my work. (I built much more consciously these days.). It came on suddenly and got much worse before I discovered a natural approach that wa much healthier for me in the long run than taking drugs and the harsh negative side effects. The only side effects from eating and living healthy is a better quality of life. It's quite a bit harder than taking a pill and keeping our bad habits though. It takes commitment but you soon learn and appreciate new healthy patterns.

I'm a bit reluctant to take part in this discussion publicly because I've gotten some heat in the past for choosing an alternate, or common sense route, rather than a traditional one. When I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis several years ago it threatened to end my career as an uke builder and change my life as I knew it forever. Every joint of my body was wracked with severe pain. One doctor even advised me to start shopping for wheel chairs because he was doubtful I'd be walking in a year. I took that as a challenge.
Joint pain is caused by inflammation, which happens to be the cause of many of our modern diseases. So do some research on anti inflammatory diets. There's a huge amount of information available. Supplements like omega three oils, turmeric and ginger, glucosamine, vitamin D, are just a few natural daily additions to your diet that can be helpful. I underwent a total dietary change, eliminated the processed foods and refined sugars from my diet. The moment that really turned my life around was when I discovered that eating foods that raised my body's PH eliminated most of my pain within days. Foods that raise the body's PH are raw foods and fermented foods, like kimchee and sauerkraut. We all know the kinds of foods we should eat and those we should avoid. By changing my diet I have pretty much reversed my disease without the use of medications. It's worth trying, it's worked for me. And without medication. (Accupuncture has also worked for me in relieving pain albeit temporarily.)

BTW, the person who opened my eyes on this subject is a medical doctor. He also happens to be an ukulele fanatic and a good customer of mine. Many of you know him or have met him during his travels around the world and the country and he's always happy to play for you at an airport, restaurant, ukulele cruise or wherever you happen to run into him. He's one of the most loving and caring people I have been blessed in my life to know. Although not his specialty, his sharing of his knowledge and wisdom with me about pain and inflammatory diseases gave me my life back. If you are willing to put some effort into it you can manage,reduce or even reverse you pain. I am not suggesting that change. in diet and lifestyle, including stress management, are the only was to address this issue but it works for me.

Good luck and the best of health to all of you. Life's too short to live it in pain. I hope you find a way that works for you.
this is exactly what my wife has been telling me. she also makes her own yougart and kambocha? I'm hurting so bad I've got to try this. the ways I'm dealing with it are only making it worse . thanks guys [gals?]

I take a turmeric capsule every day. It sure helps.

All the advice here is really good :) I've been on a journey for over a year now finding holistic ways to heal. Cut out all gluten over year ago. Noticed that I did feel better but now it's not noticeable. Pretty much the only thing I eat is meat, fish, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, oatmeal, deli turkey n salami, veggies, some corn based cereal, occasional potato (like in a stew) and skinny pop popcorn from Costco. Oh, almond milk, sometimes Lactaid. Lot's of Mio ice tea. I cup coffee with cream (gosh I love that!) That's mostly it. I'm going to try the fermented food and the turmeric (I've heard of that one before). I already take a healthy dose of magnesium through a drink powder I got via my functional med doc. Still taking vit D supplements in pretty high amounts. Still low according to blood tests. Adrenals are ALL off kilter. I'm working hard at it :) Glad some of this stuff has relieved the pain for some!

I'd like to hear some more people chime in. You never know what you may hear that could help.

Tiz true Bill. Gone a bit astray on topic yet the way one feels altogether really affects playing. One uke thing I'm especially struggling with is carpel tunnel (least that's what they say it is). It's not painful as it is for many. Just very annoying as my fretting hand is constantly falling asleep, except for the pinky finger. Sometimes when switching fast to a bar chord I'll get a sharp knife pain (really hurts!) but short lived and I can shake it off and keep going. Got some great advice from Craig and Sarah Chee about hand position. I don't think it's that that is causing it though.

Gone a bit astray on topic yet the way one feels altogether really affects playing. One uke thing I'm especially struggling with is carpel tunnel (least that's what they say it is).

I agree that the way one feels has a big effect on playing, including whether or not one even picks up the ukulele at all on a given day.

One book that was recommended for dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome is:
"Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Other Repetitive Strain Injuries" by Sharon Butler:
http://www.amazon.com/Conquering-Ca...&qid=1464383406&sr=1-1&keywords=sharon+butler

To heed the warnings of some here, I'll add that it might not be right for everyone, but it's a book of exercises, with a way to help you decide which exercises might be the ones to focus on for you, and people I know who have used the book say that it has been very helpful.

All the advice here is really good :) I've been on a journey for over a year now finding holistic ways to heal. Cut out all gluten over year ago. Noticed that I did feel better but now it's not noticeable. Pretty much the only thing I eat is meat, fish, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, oatmeal, deli turkey n salami, veggies, some corn based cereal, occasional potato (like in a stew) and skinny pop popcorn from Costco. Oh, almond milk, sometimes Lactaid. Lot's of Mio ice tea. I cup coffee with cream (gosh I love that!) That's mostly it. I'm going to try the fermented food and the turmeric (I've heard of that one before). I already take a healthy dose of magnesium through a drink powder I got via my functional med doc. Still taking vit D supplements in pretty high amounts. Still low according to blood tests. Adrenals are ALL off kilter. I'm working hard at it :) Glad some of this stuff has relieved the pain for some!

I'd like to hear some more people chime in. You never know what you may hear that could help.

When I got serious I eliminated read meats, most grains, ALL sugars (including lactose and fructose in my diet. From your list that would include meat, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, oatmeal (except for steel cut) deli meats and salami (highly processed foods!!!), corn anything and potatoes. (That's the short list.) Of course that may sound extreme and I only did that for a month but it brought my quality of life back to me (amongst doing other things.) Today I am more moderate in my diet but those things you listed can all be considered trigger foods. The hard thing about this is that it can take a lot of experimenting to find out what works for you. Or you can just take a pill. Not my recommendation but one
that many choose.

They act like I'm a hypochondriac or say menopause or just LOSE WEIGHT.

Adrenals are ALL off kilter.

Bonesigh - This is straying a bit OT and if you would like to PM me, please feel free; for now I'll keep it brief. The mention of adrenals set off alarms for me - have you had your aldosterone-renin ratio tested? Long story short, I once had trouble losing weight, was in a lot of pain, and was written off by a good half-dozen doctors as either menopausal, fibromyalgia, or stressed-out, none of which turned out to be the case. I had an adrenal tumor, and while I'm fine after having the tumor removed, I did learn that most doctors are absolutely clueless about how to deal with this condition and it's especially hard for women since we're almost *expected* to gain weight and complain of pain in middle age. PM me if you'd like more info.

When I got serious I eliminated read meats, most grains, ALL sugars (including lactose and fructose in my diet. From your list that would include meat, cheese, yoghurt, fruit, oatmeal (except for steel cut) deli meats and salami (highly processed foods!!!), corn anything and potatoes. (That's the short list.) Of course that may sound extreme and I only did that for a month but it brought my quality of life back to me (amongst doing other things.) Today I am more moderate in my diet but those things you listed can all be considered trigger foods. The hard thing about this is that it can take a lot of experimenting to find out what works for you. Or you can just take a pill. Not my recommendation but one
that many choose.

I think if that works for you then that's awesome, however many of us in the "pain club" have sought medical advice and have taken the traditional route. I take 5 milligrams of Prednisone every day and am pain free for another 24 hours, with NO side effects. I guess we are all different in how we deal with this, but I believe the first port of call should always be your health professional.

Yes it is awesome. Thank you! But this is why I am reluctant to speak of my successes. You have asked my advice before privately and have rejected my suggestions. I respect your right to do as you wish with your body. Hopefully anyone who needs pain relief will consider all the options and come to their own healthy conclusions.

Last edited:
Yes it is awesome. Thank you! But this is why I am reluctant to speak of my successes. You have asked my advice before privately and have rejected my suggestions. I respect your right to do as you wish with your body. Hopefully anyone who needs pain relief will consider all the options and come to their own healthy conclusions.

Well forgive me for not taking your advice Chuck, it was after all just advice, and the reason it was private is because you contacted me privately. At the end of the day the best option for me was to follow the tried and tested route of the medical profession, as i said I am pain and side effect free, that surely is the goal we all seek.
Kind regards.

Well forgive me for not taking your advice Chuck, it was after all just advice, and the reason it was private is because you contacted me privately. At the end of the day the best option for me was to follow the tried and tested route of the medical profession, as i said I am pain and side effect free, that surely is the goal we all seek.
Kind regards.

I'm truly happy that you've found a method of pain relief that works for you. Hopefully you will never have any side effects from the medication you are on. Pain is something that few people who haven't been through it can fully understand. Any method of reducing or eliminating it as long as it safe can not be criticized. Whatever works is great. We are amongst the fortunate who have found relief for their pain. For many people there seems to be no recourse at all using any method. My heart goes out to these unfortunate people. When you're in pain you need to do anything it takes, be it naturally or with medications or a combination of both, in order to preserve your sanity and maintain a healthy quality of living.
Discussions like this often go the way of discussing politics, religion, or low G vs re entrant tuning. I've thrown out a couple of suggestions that I hope some have found useful but I certainly don't think I'm going to change anyone's minds. My only suggestion is that people do their homework and look at the alternatives.

Top Bottom